Windows Update Resets User Account

David.A

I wanted to install all the latest Windows Updates as I usually do once a month. This time there was a voluntary Update which I also installed to have everything up to date. This Update took waaaaay longer and the computer had to restart several times. After it finally finished and I wanted to login and got an error with something like "cannot read user settings" (sadly didnt screenshot the exact message). So I restarted the Computer again manually and when logging in this time the wallpaper and icons were already reset and after further inspection my whole User Account got completely reset. I checked which the resent update was. Name: Functionsupdate for Windows 10, Version 2004.

I was almost thinking of completely formatting my pc and reinstalling windows incase anything else got damaged. Any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

Just updated and ive got exaclty the same issue :( Did you manage to fix it? Is this common with major win updates?

On 10/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, M_Marcus said:

Just updated and ive got exaclty the same issue :( Did you manage to fix it? Is this common with major win updates?

Maybe not that particular issue but major problems after windows 10 updates are indeed more than common. 

I wasn't able to update my laptop once without it becoming basically useless over the course of the last two years..

Think it's much worse with laptops than desktops tho because laptops have a lot of custom drivers and stuff and windows just doesn't know what to do with those, it's dumb as bread after all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, M_Marcus said:

Removing the update should fix it hopefully. 

Either delete or rollback the update, whatever's clever (or available) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity