VPN recommendations

doodberry

Good morning All,

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on signing up for a VPN and I come to you all, the LTT community to get recommendations. I would normally go to reddit, but that sites going downhill.

In a case like this, I would typically go straight to the product most recommended by a quick DuckDuckGo search or whatever the LTT ads have been, but in the past year or two there have been a lot of VPN's that have been bought up by larger companies. This is a problem because large companies data hording and tracking every move I make is one of the big drivers in me wanting to get a VPN.

I was going to go for Private Internet Access but saw they were aquired by Kape Technologies late last year. Not being able to find much about this company, I don't trust em... It's hard to find any information on them other than them being Israeli and their current stock price on the London Stock Exchange, which is $178 USD at the time of writing.

NordVPN is looking like the winner right now, but I still wanna hear some recommendations.

Just a note, it will be used on a Windows 10 desktop, Windows 10 laptop, 2 iPhone 11+'s, and the occasional Galaxy S10.

A link to one of the main articles that detoured me away from PIA

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/companies-secretly-own-dozens-vpns/

I use NordVPN, good speeds and a ton of countries it choose from. 

If you are very privacy focused, look into ProtonVPN. 

25 minutes ago, doodberry said:

Good morning All,

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on signing up for a VPN and I come to you all, the LTT community to get recommendations. I would normally go to reddit, but that sites going downhill.

ExpressVPN gets my vote.

PIA - Private Internet Access

This being the LTT Forums someone had to suggest it.

In all honesty, I have been using them and haven't had any issues with them.

@doodberry

I use ExpressVPN for geo-unblocking and NordVPN when I'm using open networks or accessing my bank on my phone.

But if you're very paranoid, look into Mullvad.

Keep in mind that you always have to review your VPN every year and be prepared to move if you don't feel comfortable. When I signed up for NordVPN 2 years ago, I didn't know it would have been hacked last year. The company took a while to alert it's users so people were understandably questioning its trustworthiness. I wasn't personally affected so I continue to use the service until my plan expires. They've been pretty reliable otherwise.

My vote goes to ProtonVPN. Been using for multiple months now with no problems. Privacy oriented, should work on all your devices.

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

On 9/21/2020 at 1:46 AM, Falcon1986 said:

@doodberry

I use ExpressVPN for geo-unblocking and NordVPN when I'm using open networks or accessing my bank on my phone.

But if you're very paranoid, look into Mullvad.

Keep in mind that you always have to review your VPN every year and be prepared to move if you don't feel comfortable. When I signed up for NordVPN 2 years ago, I didn't know it would have been hacked last year. The company took a while to alert it's users so people were understandably questioning its trustworthiness. I wasn't personally affected so I continue to use the service until my plan expires. They've been pretty reliable otherwise.

I use NordVPN and can recommend it. Overall it is a pleasant experience, lots of servers to choose from, good speeds, most of the time I don't even notice it's turned on.
I did see the news about the breach not long after buying Nordvpn, but no personal details we stolen during the breach, so I never gave it much though. Also, bonus is that Nord goes that extra mile for security now, they do a yearly 3rd party audit and have a known cybersec professional on their board.