Ryzen 5: Is the XT worth it over the X?

Sarra
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

Both the X and the XT variants offer no noticeable performance over the standard 3600. I'd not pay the extra for either of them. If you don't plan on OCing the XT and X will give you nothing more over the standard variant.

I'm about to start building a home server/YouTube box/low priority render machine, and I'm looking at getting a Ryzen 5 for it. It'll be my 'main' render box until I get a new Ryzen 9 based system later on, which will do double duties as Rendering and Gaming.

Anyway. I'm looking at the Ryzen 5 3600X. It's right smack where I am comfortable with on pricing. I also see the XT, and it's a bit more money, but not a considerable amount. This will be getting paired with a B550 Mini ATX board, 32 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5700 GPU. No intention of OCing, and it'll spend more time serving files and playing YouTube than anything else.

Is there any benefit of the XT over the X? Or should I just stick with the X? I'm going to avoid the 10th gen Intel stuff since the Mini ATX boards are... Not appealing. I'm not sure anyone would really suggest a 9th gen i5 or such, either, though the boards are a little more palatable.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Both the X and the XT variants offer no noticeable performance over the standard 3600. I'd not pay the extra for either of them. If you don't plan on OCing the XT and X will give you nothing more over the standard variant.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Ah, sounds like I should just grab a 3600 then. :D Thanks. 

Or maybe wait for the announcement on the 7th or 8th of Oct when the new cpus drop, most times the old amd cpus remain heavily discounted in the market

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

8 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Or maybe wait for the announcement on the 7th or 8th of Oct when the new cpus drop, most times the old amd cpus remain heavily discounted in the market

Yeah, I'm not ordering anything yet, but I need this machine rather soon. It comes down to if I can return some car parts I ordered in error faster, or if the fires expected today will effect everything again.

4 hours ago, Sarra said:

Yeah, I'm not ordering anything yet, but I need this machine rather soon. It comes down to if I can return some car parts I ordered in error faster, or if the fires expected today will effect everything again.

The proce drop will probably come in the next weeks building up to the launch to get rid of old stock sooooo... I guess the longer you can wait the better it is, but you wont probably get decimated for the perfomance/money like 2080ti owners i guess

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

7 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

The proce drop will probably come in the next weeks building up to the launch to get rid of old stock sooooo... I guess the longer you can wait the better it is, but you wont probably get decimated for the perfomance/money like 2080ti owners i guess

If I owned a 2080 TI, I honestly would be pretty much 'new cards? Meh. Don't care, I have the performance I want.'

Sadly, my 980 is starting to degrade. I wanted to replace it with a 1080 TI. The MSRP was around $900 for the 1080 TI? I couldn't find one for less than $1300, due to the mining craze. When the 2080 TI launched, I looked at the MSRP, and basically said 'NOPE!', and never bothered with one.

However, the 3080? Even if they launch a 3080 TI in 6 months or a year, if I purchase a 3080 for a new gaming rig, I'll be fine with it. I don't 'absolutely need the best'. I'm still running a Haswell Xeon and a 980. So, if I bought a R5 3600 now, and 3 weeks later, the price drops and a Zen 3 (?) based R5 launches at roughly the same price as the 3600, I won't really care either way. When I built this machine, I bought my 980 like 5 days before the 980 TI launched. I didn't care at all, and I didn't even realize for like 2 years that that had even happened. The 980 TI was out of my budget; I actually had budgeted for a 970, but the 3.5GB of fast RAM with 500MB of slow RAM put me off on buying it, and the 960 was the same story, so I actually adjusted my budget for the 980. I also was replacing a 550 TI with the 980, which was working, but the fans had dead bearings, and the card was getting hot, but not overheating. I know the drivers fixed the 3.5gb/500mb issue for most people, however, I was playing FSX at the time a LOT, and FSX WILL use all of your VRAM, so I knew this issue was going to give me lots of problems.

When I build a PC, I build it for a purpose, then to a budget. After the build is completed, unless something doesn't work right, as long as it performs to my standards, I generally leave it fully alone, until it's time to upgrade, or replace parts. I mean, I clean it out, but that doesn't count in this. :P