Node 202 mod for 3080

I have a node 202 and was worried about airflow for a 3080. I saw these pictures in another forum

https://imgur.com/a/9eC7VJM (pictures linked since image upload broke)

and was thinking if you made this mod to the node 202 you would have better airflow than the mid tower case the 3080 is designed for.

Any tips on drilling holes through? The link to the post the other guy did is archived https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/8o1e7q/node_202_mods/ 

Apparently theres a small layer of metal under the plastic that could separate or rust, so im not sure what the best way to go about this is.

Im currently thinking just using a 2x4 to brace the bottom as I drill through?

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

I would not use a Node 202 for a 3080. Its not gonna be a good time for the Founders card.

thats what the mod is for. Half of the air blows out like a blower style cooler and the rest of the air passes through the back of the case with the mod. There's no air recirculation if its done this way

1 hour ago, iceflower700 said:

thats what the mod is for. Half of the air blows out like a blower style cooler and the rest of the air passes through the back of the case with the mod. There's no air recirculation if its done this way

FE card should best for that type of cases if there is an opening on both sides of the cooler.

The lid of the node 202 is plastic with a metal sheet which is retained by small little clips. I ended up opening the mobo compartment by using a dremel I would probably advise drilling a pilot hole in the corners to get a neeter look and a even radius.

I am planning on measuring the vertical fan on the rtx 3080 and cutting a hole directly above it and fitting a mesh that i'll sandwich between the plastic and metal layer. 

The founders edition would then look ideal for the case as its sort of acting as a 2 way blower and only getting ambient cool air.

I've added a image to show what I done

20200629_122514.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think a modded node 202 might be perfect for a FE 3080

Keep us posted, can't wait to see the final result and temps

I'm gonna do the same mod for my node 202 if I ever get the FE 3080. It's just perfect in my opinion. Too effective not to. Just a hole one hole on the top (near the power button), so the hot air come right out away.