How to avoid "Activate Windows" after PC upgrade?

EzekielGMG

I'm going to upgrade all my PC parts excluding the storage soon, and I was just wondering if there's a good way I can guarantee that I won't get the annoying "Activate Windows" I've seen happen to some people after an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

I'm going to upgrade all my PC parts excluding the storage soon, and I was just wondering if there's a good way I can guarantee that I won't get the annoying "Activate Windows" I've seen happen to some people after an upgrade.

Link your Microsoft account to the install (this may be done already), once you have finished upgrading, you can use this linked account to keep the Windows license:

If your reinstalling Windows: just log back in with this same Microsoft account

if you are no reinstalling Windows: it will ask you "Did you change hardware?" (or maybe it won't) and you just click yes

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Link your Microsoft account to the install (this may be done already), once you have finished upgrading, you can use this linked account to keep the Windows license:

If your reinstalling Windows: just log back in with this same Microsoft account

if you are no reinstalling Windows: it will ask you "Did you change hardware?" (or maybe it won't) and you just click yes

Is there a way to check if that has been done properly? I just want to be sure about it before i do anything

Just now, EzekielGMG said:

Is there a way to check if that has been done properly? I just want to be sure about it before i do anything

On your current PC:

Settings > Update & Security > Activation

If you have your Microsoft account linked, it should says "Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

On the new PC:

If you're not reinstalling Windows: check in the same place, if it still says this

If you are reinstalling Windows: during the install it will ask for your Microsoft account, will ask if you changed hardware and then you can check in that same menu again

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

On your current PC:

Settings > Update & Security > Activation

If you have your Microsoft account linked, it should says "Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

On the new PC:

If you're not reinstalling Windows: check in the same place, if it still says this

If you are reinstalling Windows: during the install it will ask for your Microsoft account, will ask if you changed hardware and then you can check in that same menu again

Okay, thanks for the help, I'm new to everything here so I appreciate it