File Explorer Running Unreasonably Slow on nearly full SATA SSD.

VinFaz

What the title says. I have a 250Gb WD Blue NAND SATA SSD in an m.2 format, and it has about 3 gigabytes of free storage left. Lately I have been noticing File explorer/programs that need to fetch single files are extremley slow, practically unusable. However, tasks like game loading seem to be fine. Could this be caused by it being almost full? I have had it for almost a year now, and I use my computer relatively heavily, however I don't download files an abnormal amount of the time while I'm using my PC. In short, I don't know why my SSD is so slow on certain tasks. Help!

btw, I'm getting a 2TB hard drive very soon because I need the storage for games. Maybe transferring some games over to the hard drive will help this problem? 

Edit: had remaining storage wrong.

1 minute ago, VinFaz said:

Could this be caused by it being almost full?

How full are we talking. Typically you don't want to fill up an SSD more than 80-85%

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

How full are we talking. Typically you don't want to fill up an SSD more than 80-85%

3 gigabytes remaining. My thought is SSD's use some of their free storage as cache, so maybe because it only has 3 Gb left it has a small cache, causing it to run very slowly.

Edit: Had the remaining storage wrong! It's worse than I thought, I was remembering wrong.

Healthy SSD should have at least 10% space to swap out the bits, the more the better.

7gb is 3%, which is not good. You should clear some out.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, VinFaz said:

7 gigabytes remaining. My thought is SSD's use some of their free storage as cache, so maybe because it only has 7 Gb left it has a small cache, causing it to run very slowly.

Yeah that's 2.8% according to my math. You are 100% correct with you assumptions. Clear up some space.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Yeah that's 2.8% according to my math. You are 100% correct with you assumptions. Clear up some space.

re-did the math after I checked the storage remaining. 1.2% left. Ouch. I'll transfer a bunch of files to my Hard Drive when I get it tommorow. (2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda btw)

transfer all you documents to hdd, documents dont need ssd speed.

copy and remap your document, pictures, videos folder to somewhere else.

disk cleanup with "clean system files" selected and select temp folder or any windows updates.

reinstall games to hdd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

• 4 months later...

I figured I should add this for people in the future having this issue, it ended up being Microsoft OneDrive (I just ended the task and my file explorer returned to normal), sorry for reviving an old thread!