Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LOD_ismynightmare

Wasted 6 weeks building my PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

And finally today the last part arrived, it was the PSU. I am never going to make this mistake again ever. Dream PC? Just buy whatever you can get in the market. I wasted 6 weeks not having fun at all. It was hell checking Newegg daily trying to see if they ever restocked the 10900k and PSU's...I bought my PC parts from several shops. Maybe I was lucky in finding two 2080 ti's and returning one. but it was so difficult finding all parts together that I was after. The problem was mainly that I bought the motherboard first which featured Intel Gen 10 only and I had to wait around 3 weeks or probably more than that for the 10900k to restock

Lesson learned. Next time I am buying a PC, it will be a motherboard and CPU together, and buying parts shouldn't take a few days. It ruined my whole experience waiting for the parts to come because I shop online internationally. I lost my passion for PC building. It was a terrible time. An advice if you are a computer avid and you take it as your main hobby, never wait and waste time like I did.

Is there a question here?

Seems like poor planning on your part.

@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

that's why i still go to a store to shop for my parts

online shopping delays progress

though if u must shop online, just buy and forget, dont go track the progress everyday, it'll feel less of a wait and more of a pleasant surprise

Things I need help with: *new* 3900x core clock issue

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Dang sorry to hear about the waiting. I feel you on it not being the best time, especially for building a full on pc from scratch. More parts more risk if there being backorders. 

anyway, good thing you and all of us commenting are learning. The experience can help us do better for next time and find other routes. Thanks for sharing 

45 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

It was hell checking Newegg daily trying to see if they ever restocked the 10900k and PSU's

Intel has a major cpu shortage issue and PSUs are still in short supply due to the covid. Sorry your building was hell. Good luck planning gooder next time. (also you shouldn't have lost passion for pc building, it was the online shopping experience that killed ya)

r5 3600 4.175GHz@1.1875v | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

It is not a good time to build a PC.

Some Items are scarce like 2080 tis, i9 10900 ks and PSUs.

I could not even get the 360 AIO I wanted but the one I got is working out.

I lost my passion building PCs years ago and this year I have built or rebuilt 4 of them. All have gone well but in the past I have had to return parts and have had disasters like CPUs, GPUs and motherboards dieing. 

The alternative is buying a prebuilt and I have done that too but none were quite right and I have even had to rebuild a prebuilt.

So I will keep building my own.

Most of the anxiety this time was the silicon lottery since I have had underperforming CPUs in the past but so far the i9 10900k is measuring up. 

My advice is have more than one computer. 

It did not matter how long it took to get a CPU just like it won't matter with the next gen GPUs.

I don't really need them I just want them. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i9 10900k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: EVGA  RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: EVGA 1300 G2 | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooler: SilverStone PF360 | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB | Monitor:Samsung 28" 4k 60hz  

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts with me. After finishing building my PC and booting it up I felt happy, yet there was sorrow in my chest. A mixed feeling that even a cry won't let this feeling leave my chest. It is because I just a had a terrible time waiting for the parts to come and not knowing when they will restock. I did nothing with my life the past 6 months but only to wait to complete building my PC. I went to bed at 5:00 pm everyday...so maybe you understand why I have this deep sadness in me. I am never doing this again in my life whether I am building a PC or doing something else. I will definitely look the other way and find alternatives.

-= Locked =-

This would best be posted as a Status update.

I am sorry you had a bad experience; this happens unfortunately even to the best of us ... including myself, its life.

I suggest you plan better in the future and also try to buy local if possible, instead of relying only on online sources. Sometimes you're sol and need to get it online but then you need to expect to have to wait and be patient. 

As you grow older you will find it easier to be patient about things.

Also dont compile an opinion about a dyi based solely on 1 singular experience. Failure is to be expected from time to time, it how you learn and grow.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER