Wasted 6 weeks building my PC

And finally today the last part arrived, it was the PSU. I am never going to make this mistake again ever. Dream PC? Just buy whatever you can get in the market. I wasted 6 weeks not having fun at all. It was hell checking Newegg daily trying to see if they ever restocked the 10900k and PSU's...I bought my PC parts from several shops. Maybe I was lucky in finding two 2080 ti's and returning one. but it was so difficult finding all parts together that I was after. The problem was mainly that I bought the motherboard first which featured Intel Gen 10 only and I had to wait around 3 weeks or probably more than that for the 10900k to restock

Lesson learned. Next time I am buying a PC, it will be a motherboard and CPU together, and buying parts shouldn't take a few days. It ruined my whole experience waiting for the parts to come because I shop online internationally. I lost my passion for PC building. It was a terrible time. An advice if you are a computer avid and you take it as your main hobby, never wait and waste time like I did.

that's why i still go to a store to shop for my parts

online shopping delays progress

though if u must shop online, just buy and forget, dont go track the progress everyday, it'll feel less of a wait and more of a pleasant surprise

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Dang sorry to hear about the waiting. I feel you on it not being the best time, especially for building a full on pc from scratch. More parts more risk if there being backorders. 

anyway, good thing you and all of us commenting are learning. The experience can help us do better for next time and find other routes. Thanks for sharing 

45 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

It was hell checking Newegg daily trying to see if they ever restocked the 10900k and PSU's

Intel has a major cpu shortage issue and PSUs are still in short supply due to the covid. Sorry your building was hell. Good luck planning gooder next time. (also you shouldn't have lost passion for pc building, it was the online shopping experience that killed ya)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

It is not a good time to build a PC.

Some Items are scarce like 2080 tis, i9 10900 ks and PSUs.

I could not even get the 360 AIO I wanted but the one I got is working out.

I lost my passion building PCs years ago and this year I have built or rebuilt 4 of them. All have gone well but in the past I have had to return parts and have had disasters like CPUs, GPUs and motherboards dieing. 

The alternative is buying a prebuilt and I have done that too but none were quite right and I have even had to rebuild a prebuilt.

So I will keep building my own.

Most of the anxiety this time was the silicon lottery since I have had underperforming CPUs in the past but so far the i9 10900k is measuring up. 

My advice is have more than one computer. 

It did not matter how long it took to get a CPU just like it won't matter with the next gen GPUs.

I don't really need them I just want them. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts with me. After finishing building my PC and booting it up I felt happy, yet there was sorrow in my chest. A mixed feeling that even a cry won't let this feeling leave my chest. It is because I just a had a terrible time waiting for the parts to come and not knowing when they will restock. I did nothing with my life the past 6 months but only to wait to complete building my PC. I went to bed at 5:00 pm everyday...so maybe you understand why I have this deep sadness in me. I am never doing this again in my life whether I am building a PC or doing something else. I will definitely look the other way and find alternatives.

-= Locked =-

This would best be posted as a Status update.

I am sorry you had a bad experience; this happens unfortunately even to the best of us ... including myself, its life.

I suggest you plan better in the future and also try to buy local if possible, instead of relying only on online sources. Sometimes you're sol and need to get it online but then you need to expect to have to wait and be patient. 

As you grow older you will find it easier to be patient about things.

Also dont compile an opinion about a dyi based solely on 1 singular experience. Failure is to be expected from time to time, it how you learn and grow.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER