Does the quality of the motherboard affect the overclocking headroom of the GPU?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

I can't imagine it would have any impact at all.  The video card is basically a self-contained system consisting of an equivalent of the motherboard+CPU+RAM, if you'd like to think of it that way.  Now, different cards using the same GPU will overclock better or worse (or at least used to) given different quality power delivery (among other things), as you'd expect (thus furthering the analogy).

Do you think buying an expensive motherboard for overclocking is a smart investment?

the board wont affect the gpu for the most part. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I can't imagine it would have any impact at all.  The video card is basically a self-contained system consisting of an equivalent of the motherboard+CPU+RAM, if you'd like to think of it that way.  Now, different cards using the same GPU will overclock better or worse (or at least used to) given different quality power delivery (among other things), as you'd expect (thus furthering the analogy).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I agree with @TofuHaroto and @Ryan_Vickers. The GPU is basically a little subcomputer that is designed to do a specific task. It communicates through the PCI slot and outputs video thorugh the output ports. If the overclocking capabilities of a GPU were influenced by the motherboard, it could for one be the same in reverse (bad GPU affects CPU overclocking) and for another different I/O of the motherboard (USB, SATA etc.) could possibly also affect overclocking. We know that both of these issues to be non existent in our computing systems, so I think you can overclock the GPU however you want on whatever motherboard you have.

Edit: The only thing that might influence the GPU is the power delivery from the motherboard, but that influence should be negligible.

A better motherboard can overclock CPU  better, but not gpu, aside from power delivery, but highend gpu usually get the power straight from the PSU, so it won't be a problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w