External files

Julian Borghuis

Hey,

I have a question.
My question is whether there is a possibility to save all the files you store on your computer such as your documents, downloads, desktop. videos, music, everything except windows itself can be stored on another computer and so you can give multiple computers the same amount of storage memory.

Why I want this is because I now have a 1tb disk in my computer for all storage and an SSD for windows but my 1tb hard disk is getting full and I hope that with my question I can also put several smaller hard disks in an external PC and make it 1 so that eventually you can save everything externally if possible.

Is this possible? if so, how?

Just now, Julian Borghuis said:

My question is whether there is a possibility to save all the files you store on your computer such as your documents, downloads, desktop. videos, music, everything except windows itself can be stored on another computer and so you can give multiple computers the same amount of storage memory

I mean, a plex server could work. You would need another pc with wired internet. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

And can i set in windows then the location of the folder desktop or documents or whatever to that server? so yes? how?

Yeah, it's called a NAS (network attached storage) ... see Desktop NAS Network Attached Storage - Newegg.com

You could also make your own using FreeNAS or Unraid ... it would be cheaper . 

You put the drives in the NAS and then on each computer you can access the files as a network share, or map them as a drive letter like a regular hard drive.

you can copy them to that server

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, Julian Borghuis said:

And can i set in windows then the location of the folder desktop or documents or whatever to that server? so yes? how?

Im not famileriar with servers. Also the one dude said a NAS, and that would work too.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, it's called a NAS (network attached storage) ... see Desktop NAS Network Attached Storage - Newegg.com

You could also make your own using FreeNAS or Unraid ... it would be cheaper . 

You put the drives in the NAS and then on each computer you can access the files as a network share, or map them as a drive letter like a regular hard drive.

I mean this https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

Is that possible? so yes how?

Yeah, you don't HAVE TO save files there, you can configure your web browser to download stuff somewhere else, you can put your music somewhere else, you can put your pictures anywhere.

For some folders, you can right click on them and select properties, and there should be an option called "Change location" or something like that.

For others you may find options to configure those in 'Control Panel'

A NAS is basically a computer, which makes its storage available to others through the network.

You can go and add the remote storage and make it show up in your computer like an extra drive letter (for example X: ) and from there, you can organize your files as you wish, ex  X:\Downloads\  , X:\Music  , X:\My Documents

2 hours ago, Julian Borghuis said:

wich software do you recommeded to use?

It needs to be free

It needs a software with the function to put more drives into 1 partition