Need advice on painting a case white (Fractal Design Core 500)

I'm selling my spare case to a classmate so he can do his own mitx system, but he asked me if I could paint the case white for him. Knowing that I have extra spray cans he offered me extra $30 on top of the case price. 

But I've not painted a case white before, so I need some advice from veteran painters/modders. 

Question

Do I have to spray on my grey etching primer before I spray the white? 

(using model paint and a tds70p spray pen) 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

-Moved to Case Modding and Other Mods-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Before everything else, drill out ever, rivet and take it apart as much as possible. Then you you sand everything maticulously. After sanding paint every peace with a primer (not self etching primer because this stuff is meant to stick to metal and not powder coating). The white top coat should be applied in multiple thin layers. The first layers don't have to cover everything perfectly, though.

Finally, rivet everthing back together and you should br done.

2 hours ago, startrek03 said:

Before everything else, drill out ever, rivet and take it apart as much as possible. Then you you sand everything maticulously. After sanding paint every peace with a primer (not self etching primer because this stuff is meant to stick to metal and not powder coating). The white top coat should be applied in multiple thin layers. The first layers don't have to cover everything perfectly, though.

Finally, rivet everthing back together and you should br done.

Erm thanks, time to go hardware shopping. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Drilling out rivets is optional, but I really recommend it since painting is way easier this way.

1 minute ago, startrek03 said:

Drilling out rivets is optional, but I really recommend it since painting is way easier this way.

I know, but to use the drill I'll need adult supervision. 

I'll probably bring it to shop class

And also try to find the right primer so it will properly adhere to the powder coating.

5 hours ago, startrek03 said:

And also try to find the right primer so it will properly adhere to the powder coating.

I'm using an automotive self etching primer. 

17 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I'm using an automotive self etching primer. 

You can definitely try it. I'd suggest trying it on a test surface, that's powder coated as well. If it doesn't come off by rubbing or so you should be fine. Otherwise test a different primer.

Automotive primer should work fine on powder coated surfaces as long as you do decent prep beforehand. Don't forget to wash everything down after sanding. Depending on the paint and primer you might need to flat between coats, I use soft sanding pads (Abralon) because there's less chance of them burning through on corners.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

• 2 weeks later...

Painting a black case white can be quite a challenge, the 30 bucks probably won't cover your costs. I have painted a black case before and I can tell it was a pain in the ass, also in the progress I had to reorder one part because I fucked it up because I did not have special tools to take some parts apart. 

This was the end result I had (It was my first paint job so it might similar to you)  : 

6.jpeg

5.jpeg

4.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.