1440p monitor for 1080p laptop

KlemencicUrbanaOnReddit

Hi, 

I am in market for a gaming monitor to use it as a athome dispaly for my asus g14 1080p 120hz. I'd like to buy a 27in 1440p monitor to use as a primary display, laptop lid closed conested via display port. Is there foung to be a problem when connecting to a 1080p laptop, will i have to change resolution in settings every t8me I plug in, does laptop even support resolution higher than internal screen. Thanks lots

3 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

Budget and refresh rate

^

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I am from Eu, Slovenia

Found Samsung C27JG50QQU

For 280€ on a local trusted online shop 

So 300€ refreshrate doesent even matter, i have a 1660ti, so ig 144 is nice for csgo lol

More than that, i care about a good display to look at, but still capable of noce refeeshrates and semi low respons times.

1440p and 144Hz is hard for sub-300$. I this price range i'd rather go for a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor. I this case i'd go for a AOC 24G5U2/BK (or just 24G2, name depends on the region). Idk how avaiable they are in slovenia though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I can also get AOC CQ27G2U/BK  for 320€

I'm more intrested in how the proces of cinecting goes. Does the resolution aitomativly switch to the screen resolution when i close the lid. 

Would really like a 1440p for watching movies youtube ect. 

In other words, is it a pain in the ass conesting a higher resolution monitor to a 1080p laptop.

It also is a first "real" laptop, bought it for its price, build quality good specs, some cad, davinci resolce, ocasional light gamming, so i don'tneed or have the ability to buy a holly grail of a monitor 😝

As I understand, aoc is not to bright for me, since i work in a well lit room.

The viewsonic on the other hand, the stand is a disapointment.

12 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

1440p and 144Hz is hard for sub-300$. I this price range i'd rather go for a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor. I this case i'd go for a AOC 24G5U2/BK (or just 24G2, name depends on the region). Idk how avaiable they are in slovenia though.

Forgot to quote you

You can also have a look at the AOC CQ32G1. For a few € more you can get a 32" monitor. It's huge but 2 friends of mine recently bought it and are very happy with it. I don't have any experience with the AOC CQ27G2U/BK though, so i don't really feel comfortable reccomending it. That said i was always happe with any AOC monitor i had, and i had a lot of them. But like always i wouldn't buy anything out of "brand loyality".

As for the connectivity, i can't help you there. I don't use a laptop myself and never really have been.

Connectivity and capability will depend on the laptop's configuration and capabilities.  What laptop model (exact model) are we talking about?  What GPU does it use?  What external connections does it have?  Are you using some form of docking station or port replicator?  These things will matter.

In general though if the laptop has one or more external connections it will of course support at least one external monitor.  The OS is smart enough (usually) to go to the external monitor when you close the lid....or you might have it as an extension of the internal monitor, or it may be a duplicate configuration.  Depends on how you have it configured.  Resolution and capabilities will depend on the GPU of the laptop (or GPU inside a docking station/port replicator potentially if using video output on there).  One monitor though? Probably not an issue.

I would weigh your options though against what you want most and what your hard limit on your budget is though.  Personally, if you're talking gaming, you'd probably want to prioritize refresh rate over the resolution, but that would also be dependent on if your video solution is capable.