Laptop for grad school

Hey!

So, I just got accepted into grad school (MBA). I'm super excited, and we start next week already.

I will need a laptop, as I don't want drag my PC with me. However, due to corona, the first semester will most likely be taught from home.

Therefore, I am looking for a laptop which does not strain the eyes too much, even if I am working on it for several hours a day.

So my expected requirements so far:

- Webcam is needed (I see you, ASUS)

- Preferably a 14" screen and up

- Decent to really good battery life

- Needs to be able to run more complex calculations (big data sets)

- Preferably lightweight/thin

- WiFi 6 (I have a 1gbit internet line and have a WiFi 6 router, close to where I will be working from)

- Preferably doesn't run super hot - but not a dealbreaker

Price range $ 1,000 - $ 1,500

My initial thoughts:

- Dell XPS13

- Dell XPS15

- ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen8

Thanks!

Robbert

6 minutes ago, Robbert1986 said:

So, I just got accepted into grad school (MBA).

Congratulations!

Would you consider getting the Asus zephyrus g14? It comes with all your requirements except the webcam. If I were you, I would get that laptop and add an external webcam. Buying both of those would still be in your budget.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

The X1 Carbon is nice. I'm using the gen 6 model. Would still recommend if you don't need the most oomph in your CPU. Otherwise, I would suggest looking at the AMD variant of the ThinkPad T14s or the X13. CPU performance on the Ryzen 7 4750U will demolish the performance of the i7-10510U. They both have WiFi 6.

43 minutes ago, Robbert1986 said:

Hey!

As @zeusthemoose said, the Asus  Asus zephyrus g14 is a very promising contender, and is maybe the best fit for your needs, *besides* the webcam. 8 cores, 16 threads, a 2060 Max-Q for graphical tasks or just for gaming 😆 and a beautiful 144hz panel, all inside a slim little chassis. I feel for you a External webcam+ the g14 is a very good way to go. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

46 minutes ago, Robbert1986 said:

Hey!

So, I just got accepted into grad school (MBA). I'm super excited, and we start next week already.

I will need a laptop, as I don't want drag my PC with me. However, due to corona, the first semester will most likely be taught from home.

Therefore, I am looking for a laptop which does not strain the eyes too much, even if I am working on it for several hours a day.

- WiFi 6 (I have a 1gbit internet line and have a WiFi 6 router, close to where I will be working from)

My initial thoughts:

- Dell XPS13

- Dell XPS15

Thanks!

Robbert

Thing is those aren't great value choices, and dont exactly fit your needs. The 15 isn't super clear, the X1 carbon defiantly isnt,  They're slightly overpriced, as the XPS 13 is somewhat of a novelty and the X1 carbon is meant for college students with very certain needs, or businesses (yes, stereotype galore!) and they use Intel chipsets, which haven't exactly aged well compared to AMD. Great laptops, just I think theres better (as mentioned) laptops

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 hours ago, Robbert1986 said:

Hey!

My initial thoughts:

- Dell XPS13

- Dell XPS15

Thanks!

Robbert

Both XPS models have thermal, power and DPC latency issues. They also frequently arrive defective sue to Dells abhorent QA/QC and poor support. I cannot recommend them because most people are just having too many issue with the hardware or even firmware in some cases.

Look at the ThinkPad T14 with Zen 2. If you want an ultrabook, intel might as well not exist for you. The Asus ZenBook 14 and HP Envy x360 are also contenders.

Lastly, if you can handle having an external webcam, the Asus Zephyrus G14 is just the absolute best option for you.itd basically the best laptop released this year