What VR-Headset is the best?

Luddy †

So I've been trying to re-watch a bunch of the review-vids LTT has made on different types of VR-headsets to try and figure out which headset would suit me the best. Costs is ofcourse a BIG factor as the range of prices on these headsets varies a lot.

So far what I've figured out is that I really like the Valve Index's controllers (I think), but the headset isnt avaiable where I live, so I've gotta look for something else.

What would be you guys' recomendations?

6 minutes ago, Luddy † said:

Costs is ofcourse a BIG factor

And your first choice is the most expensive of them? 🙄

Anything would fit then.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The HP Reverb G2 is a VR headset that is coming soon that is made with Steam and Microsoft, and from my understanding the headset is pretty well equipped and is compatible with Valve Index controllers.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

Here's a quick comparison offered on HP's website to give you an idea about how it stacks up with other VR headsets

image.thumb.png.a884172114298aa6081b7fc449606272.pngimage.png.af196d259a6930b0f384c4ed3017dfbc.png

Valve index is the "best"

otherwise i would highly suggest the oculus Quest (just got mine today) 100% wireless operation for a significantly lower cost than the competition is incredible. and now with Oculus Link, it can be used just like a normal desktop headset flawlessly

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If you don't care about the higher refreshrate on the Index, then I'd recommend that you go out and find a HTC Vive HMD with basestations and then buy the Index controllers.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

And your first choice is the most expensive of them? 🙄

Anything would fit then.

To be honest I don't know the price. I've always had an expensive taste in hardware, which I think many can relate to, so I'm not supprised it is

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Valve index is the "best"

I could be very wrong but the upcoming HP Reverb G2 might be better than the current Index in some aspects, like higher resolution per eye however a lower refresh rate of 90hz. So, I guess the HP Reverb G2 is kind of tied with the index but not really. Also I believe you do "technically save money" since the G2 doesn't need base stations while the Valve Index needs so instead of paying 1000$ for a valve index with controllers and 2 base stations, you pay 850$-900$ for a G2 and a set of Valve index controllers.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I could be very wrong but the upcoming HP Reverb G2 might be better than the current Index in some aspects, like higher resolution per eye however a lower refresh rate of 90hz. So, I guess the HP Reverb G2 is kind of tied with the index but not really. Also I believe you do "technically save money" since the G2 doesn't need base stations while the Valve Index needs so instead of paying 1000$ for a valve index with controllers and 2 base stations, you pay 850$-900$ for a G2 and a set of Valve index controllers.

Index is still superior with the external tracking. Inside-out tracking will never be as good as tracking with base stations.

overall index wins as best vr headset.

the reverb is better in some ways like you said, but it still cannot beat the index. it's more than just the controllers. plus we dont know what the tracking is like, the HTC Cosmos has terrible tracking, the Rift S and Quest are good for inside-out, but it's very easy for it to just fall flat

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Index is still superior with the external tracking. Inside-out tracking will never be as good as tracking with base stations.

I have the opposite experience. My Quest loses tracking less often than my Vive (sold now, Quest is better in every meaningful way). 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

58 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The HP Reverb G2 is a VR headset that is coming soon that is made with Steam and Microsoft, and from my understanding the headset is pretty well equipped and is compatible with Valve Index controllers.

It is not compatible with Valve Index controllers.

Also it hasn't launched yet, so we can't say for sure how good it will be.

Just now, Sakkura said:

It is not compatible with Valve Index controllers.

The headset does support Steam VR though, so if you buy a pair of Index controllers and external sensors, they should work together.

Valve Index if you want the best experience, Quest if you want (by far) the best price/performance.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The headset does support Steam VR though, so if you buy a pair of Index controllers and external sensors, they should work together.

That's a bad idea, very expensive. Might as well just buy a Valve Index then.

10 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

At that point you might as well just get an index.

Have you tried any at all? 

If not I'd recommend finding a store that has a demo of any headset first. If like me you get sick turning your office chair through 180 degrees, any of them would be a waste of money. 

I've owned the Vive Cosmos, Quest, and Rift S.

For PC VR, the Rift S is by far the best choice from my experience. Compared to the Cosmos, although the resolution is slightly lower, the Rift S display looked much better, was way more comfortable than both the Quest and Cosmos, had much better controllers than the Cosmos, better tracking, and was cheaper.