Question about 2.4ghz and 5ghz devices on one wifi network/router

kofman13

My router has two “SSID networks” one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. Each show up separately when searching for wifi signals.  2.4ghz-only devices connect to that one, and everything else is on my 5ghz. So it would seem like they are two different networks. But when I go to my Asus router control page, it shows “Client list” and its showing BOTH all my 5ghz devices and my 2.4ghz devices even though they each log into different SSIDs. So does that mean they are on the same network even though on different SSIDs and can communicate with each other?

I am asking this because I was looking to get an Elgato Key Light which requires 2.4ghz wifi to do initial pair and setup. But I am wondering if my 5ghz devices on the same router will be able to see the light and control it even though the light is on 2.4ghz? I wouldn’t want to put put both my computers back on 2.4ghz just to control the key light….

EDIT: if i remember correctly, way back i had a wifi printer on 2.4ghz and it was seen by my 5ghz devices i think..

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

Unless you have client isolation, they can probably talk to each other. Id give it a try by pinging something on the other wifi network.

Normally though its best practice to have one ssid for both.

Unless you've setup a Guest Wi-Fi network all your Wired, 2.4GHz, and 5.0GHz devices are on the same network and can talk to each other.

Assuming this Light uses standard networking protocols it should work.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Unless you have client isolation, they can probably talk to each other. Id give it a try by pinging something on the other wifi network.

Normally though its best practice to have one ssid for both.

how do i ping a device on network?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

1 hour ago, Benji said:

When you separate them it is guaranteed that you will get the frequency range that you like. My router used to connect a lot of 5 GHz capable devices as 2.4 GHz even though the reception was very good, that was my reason for setting a different SSID. But they are still the same network.

I prefer this way as well. A different SSID for each band.

5 hours ago, kofman13 said:

EDIT: if i remember correctly, way back i had a wifi printer on 2.4ghz and it was seen by my 5ghz devices i think..

In general, basic home wireless routers on OEM firmware running in a default configuration out of the box place all ethernet- and wireless-connected device on the same LAN. So you’ll see all connected devices in the client list. And clients on 2.4GHz can communicate with clients on 5GHz as long as they’re connected to the same network.