Video Recording on PC

Hello everyone. 

My friend and I want to start recording our gameplay. last night we used Geforce recording software. we recorded about an HR worth of gameplay. which took about 29GB. the Game was Beat Saber. so the TV the PC is connected to is 4K. Now I don't think it was recording in 4K. is someone can explain how I can check, that would be great. We want to start recording in 1080p because of file sizes. at least we think that would be better. 

So my main question is, what recording software do yawl recommend? is the Geforce recording software good enough for now? or should we look into something else. we want to start streaming. and uploading our gameplay.

another concern we have is when we record, the gameplay is saved on the gaming PC. we need to move the file to her PC so she can edit. do we compress the file? will 29 GB take to long? we thought about just getting an external hard drive to save the files in. It would make the files portable.

Any advice is welcomed. we are both open to ideas. any videos on how to's that you guys think would help us is great!

Thank you all for your time!

You could use OBS to record 1080p. I think (not 100% sure) the file size would go down drastically depending on how you configure it. But you could look into the settings of the GeForce app and check if it's 4K

2 minutes ago, ekyona said:

Now I don't think it was recording in 4K. is someone can explain how I can check, that would be great. 

Go to the file, right click > Properties > Details > look for 'Frame width and 'Frame height' under 'Video'.

4K would be 3840x2160. 1080p is 1920x1080.

3 minutes ago, ekyona said:

So my main question is, what recording software do yawl recommend? is the Geforce recording software good enough for now? or should we look into something else. we want to start streaming. and uploading our gameplay.

GeForce now is really good in my experience. Or you could try OBS with the NVENC encoder too. Never ran as smooth for me though, but GeForce Now can't stream, OBS can.

4 minutes ago, ekyona said:

another concern we have is when we record, the gameplay is saved on the gaming PC. we need to move the file to her PC so she can edit. do we compress the file? will 29 GB take to long? we thought about just getting an external hard drive to save the files in. It would make the files portable.

You can use Handbrake to make the file smaller, but you gotta check at what point you lose quality. Plus it takes time to render the video using Handbrake.

You could also try adjusting the video quality in GeForce Now.

Press Alt+Z > Settings > Video Capture  and adjust this slider at the bottom accordingly:

image.thumb.png.66843c1755b3816b18071f122d6bb839.png

Lower Mbps = smaller files, but can result in lesser quality too. Run some tests and end up with what you think is the best compromise between quality/size.

Here you can also change the resolution, which by default is the in-game resolution. And of course the fps too.

Keep in mind, the only thing affecting the video size is the Mbps. All the other settings don't affect the quality.

Of course with a larger resolution or more fps, you'll want higher bitrate settings to match that. So if you do lower the resolution or fps, you can change the bitrate with it too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, minibois said:

Lower Mbps = smaller files, but can result in lesser quality too. Run some tests and end up with what you think is the best compromise between quality/size.

Here you can also change the resolution, which by default is the in-game resolution. And of course the fps too.

Keep in mind, the only thing affecting the video size is the Mbps. All the other settings don't affect the quality.

Of course with a larger resolution or more fps, you'll want higher bitrate settings to match that. So if you do lower the resolution or fps, you can change the bitrate with it too.

I'll add some quick guides

typical for 4k most people run 50-100

1080p can often get away with 20-40

if you are recording beat saber I'd run at the higher end and at 60fps. you've got quite a bit of motion

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

thanks guys this helped a lot!.