Temperature monitor app

Greetings!

Recently, I noticed that my laptop is heating up a little while gaming (overwatch), so I decided to keep an eye on the GPU temperature to see how bad it is, Overwatch offers an in-game temperature monitor (just like the fps and ms), but it doesn't make sense, it seems inaccurate.
So my first question is: What app do you recommend me to use to observe both fps and temperature (also, I want it to be a simple app that doesn't affect the PC performance)

My second question is: what is the safe-zone when it comes to the GPU temperature?

Thanks for your time!

msi afterburner has a nice in-game overlay showing temps and utilisations for both cpu and gpu.

as for safe zone, depends on the gpu and laptop manufacturer. usually they start throttling at 85+

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

gpu

Nvidia 930 mx

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

usually they start throttling at 85+

What about 80? does it shorten the life span?

Just now, Kinantay4 said:

What about 80? does it shorten the life span?

no. you'll just start to get fps drops if it goes beyond 83 or so, as it will automatically downclock to reduce temperatures.

I use HWinfo64. Doesn't have onscreen display but that is fine. 

MSI also works well as stated above.

As far as temps, most laptops I see run between 70s-90s on temps. They just run hot and there isn't much you can do about it. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

8 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

As far as temps, most laptops I see run between 70s-90s on temps. They just run hot and there isn't much you can do about it. 

↑ this.
Laptops run hot, nothing you can do about it.

The only way they might not run as hot... Is if some manufacturer decided to take the hardware from a thin ultrabook and stick it into a massive gaming laptop chassis without changing anything about it. But nobody does that, because it makes no sense.

70 to 90˚C is perfectly acceptable, especially for mobile chips.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I use HWinfo64.

I second this recommendation. It also provides a cubic ass-load of other stats and you can display your temps in the system tray.

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

5 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

I second this recommendation. It also provides a cubic ass-load of other stats and you can display your temps in the system tray.

It also supports graphing :) Just double click on what you the item it the list and a graph pops out. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

3 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

It also supports graphing :) Just double click on what you the item it the list and a graph pops out. 

This I did not know, awesome! Now if only I can figure out why VRVOUT isn't displayed on my main machine I'd be a happy camper.

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

HWinfo64 is great and it will actually interface with RTSS for OSD! You can either display stuff directly, or import sensors/readings into other applications such as Afterburner and configure them to display on the OSD that way.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

23 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

HWinfo64 is great and it will actually interface with RTSS for OSD! You can either display stuff directly, or import sensors/readings into other applications such as Afterburner and configure them to display on the OSD that way.

Oh shit I didn't know that!

16 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

They just run hot and there isn't much you can do about it. 

Well, my friends recommended me to buy a laptop cooling pad. But I won't unless the temp reaches a dangerous zone that affects my PC gaming performance / lifespan

Those are pretty much useless. 

Also you won't really be able to control the temps in the laptop unforunately. Almost every laptop hits into the 80s and 90s. Especailly the cheap ones. The high end gaming laptops SOMETIMES gets it right.