A question about Server rails

Hello lads, Despite knowing nothing about servers besides a FreeNAS system in a corner, I bought a Lenovo Thinkserver RD640. And it's been leaning up against a wall for the last week. I want to mount it in a rack but the first set of universal rails I bought on eBay didn't work (did get a refund though!) Since I've now learned by trial by fire, How are rails categorized? Do all brands have their own mounting hardware? The only listing I can find that specifically mentions my machine is almost $100. Would RD540 rails work as a substitute?

This is a pic of the first set next of rails to my machine. I have no idea what I'm doing. I got it for a good deal and I'm only using it for Minecraft and FreeNAS.

20200421_135905.jpg.09f36983b12d3c7cf143480250f0c8cd.jpg

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Otherwise, there are generic rails that hold the server from the bottom

Well I tried to be fancy and go with proper sliding rails, But my wallet is telling me generic bottom supporting rails are the way to go.

I get that this isn't consumer grade hardware, But why the fricc are 4 2.5 foot long strips of metal going for over $100 used. I swear this whole industry is nothing but a proprietary cash grab.

Well, cabinet drawer rails rated at similar weight and length cost about as much. 

Pretty cheap if they only pull out half way and don't hold a lot of weight. 

Something that extends all the way and supports what a fully loaded server might weigh are pretty expensive. 

Quick check of home depot site looks $100-150 for ones long enough and strong enough. Checking server rail prices at supermicro, actually look less expensive then ones for kitchen cabinets.

7 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I get that this isn't consumer grade hardware, But why the fricc are 4 2.5 foot long strips of metal going for over $100 used. I swear this whole industry is nothing but a proprietary cash grab.

Prices of used bare rackmount chassis are even worse, often you can buy an entire working server for less.

Looks like no sliding server rails was a blessing in disguise, my unit barely fits in my rack. Didn't even think to measure it first. Either way, glad it worked out in the end.

20200501_191615.thumb.jpg.fb559e4dd072a1eac16f2686456f4bdd.jpg