What should I do

tank234
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

Considering you're switching motherboard, reinstall windows.

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

So I am in the middle of my build and I just realized that I used to have a Intel cpu and a nvidia gpu and now I am going full amd and plan on keeping all of my hard drives. What drivers should I install and what drivers should I delete. I have heard about ddu and ran that before taking my gpu out and will install with the amd software. But I am not sure what to do with the cpu. 

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Delete anything related to Intel and Nvidia.

As for what to install, AMD chipset drivers and AMD graphic drivers. That's about it. Most of everything else can be used with Win10's default drivers. You can visit the motherboard's manufacturer website to see what sort of drivers they have to offer to you, but unless it doesn't work at all, like Ethernet or Sound, there isn't really any point to installing them.

Also, be sure to update the BIOS. Newer bios on AMD improve stability and performances. 

That said, I would personally recommend you reinstall Windows, to avoid any potential issues/headaches that may derive from this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Slottr said:

Well that means I have to reinstall all of my apps and redo all my settings. Which will take me a very long time to do.

Just now, tank234 said:

Well that means I have to reinstall all of my apps and redo all my settings. Which will take me a very long time to do.

Yup, and most efficient way to get established in windows again without any driver conflicts

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, TetraSky said:

Delete anything related to Intel and Nvidia.

As for what to install, AMD chipset drivers and AMD graphic drivers. That's about it. Most of everything else can be used with Win10's default drivers.

That said, I would personally recommend you reinstall Windows, to avoid any potential issues/headaches that may derive from this.

How can I keep all my games? If they are on a separate drive will the reinstall of the games take that long? 

Just now, Slottr said:

Yup, and most efficient way to get established in windows again without any driver conflicts

Ok well I guess I don't have much of a choice 

thanks 

3 minutes ago, tank234 said:

How can I keep all my games? If they are on a separate drive will the reinstall of the games take that long? 

You'll only be reinstalling windows on the primary drive, so all your data on the other drives will still be there. Just tell steam (or whatever launcher) where your games are

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Sorry 

I got another question so if I am putting new hardware into my pc and I format my main drive does that mean that I will lose the product key? Also or if I unlink it from my previous system can I just type it into the new pc. Or should I not format my drive at all and just reinstall windows 

3 minutes ago, tank234 said:

Sorry 

I got another question so if I am putting new hardware into my pc and I format my main drive does that mean that I will lose the product key? Also or if I unlink it from my previous system can I just type it into the new pc. Or should I not format my drive at all and just reinstall windows 

You'll need to snag the product key or tie it to your microsoft account to retrieve it later

Just now, Slottr said:

You'll need to snag the product key or tie it to your microsoft account to retrieve it later

Ok so i should be  good with that because I have it linked with my Microsoft account 

thanks for helping