Bad at picking parts need help

mayo0
21 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Actually no.  You’re wrong.  On the same website, you can’t obtain a 2080s for that same price.  But I do agree that he should get a 2080s.

ehm... what did he just show then?

22 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Look at your own forums here?  Where are most of the problems and complaints coming from?

I want you to manually calculate how much a tomahawk for example can handle

Spoiler

the whole ryzen lineup at stock, and most of the mid-high chips when overclocked to the max (the apply more voltage and it's likely going to fry itself max) without problem

23 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Motherboards help determine the NVME performance, USB performance, WIFI performance, sound performance, overclocking performance, stability, power distribution, fan headers, water pump headers, and more.

nvme performance is the same when put on the same connection, usb performance is depending on the revision, wifi is out of the question here, sound is fair enough, overclocking performance won't be a problem here, stability won't be a problem here, power distribution is even overkill, fan headers are no conflicts, there's no water pump involved

25 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

In addition, CPU(APU) quality is the same across the board.  Motherboard quality varies dramatically.

except that it barely does, and if it mattered MSI currently has on almost every pricepoint the best offer with b450

should you get the absolute cheapest? no

but is a midrange motherboard fine for a chip that pulls around 126w on PBO? why wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

ehm... what did he just show then?

Nothing to prove you right  about price has been shown.

I want you to manually calculate how much a tomahawk for example can handle

I don’t work for you.

nvme performance is the same when put on the same connection

Nope.

https://www.legitreviews.com/two-pcie-nvme-ssds-tested-six-motherboards-intel-amd_197515

usb performance is depending on the revision

It also depends on whether the motherboard manufacturer wants to fully meet spec as well as operating system.

wifi is out of the question here

Why?

sound is fair enough

Maybe for you.

etc.

etc.

but is a midrange motherboard fine for a chip that pulls around 126w on PBO?

I don’t disagree.  It could have everything you want.    But that doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t have a reason to get something more.

Maybe they want to update the BIOS carefree?  Maybe they like being able to read the error codes as the machine boots.  Maybe they can tell the difference between good sound and “ok” sound.  All sorts of maybes and reasons to spend more money on a motherboard.  Some of these may not be worth it to you but they may be worth it to others.  If someone doesn’t choose a better motherboard, I won’t recommend otherwise unless it doesn’t work with the processor, etc.  But if someone wants a better motherboard, I can understand recommending something cheaper, but saying that there is absolutely no reason to have something better?

That’s what I disagree with.

3 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

I don’t work for you.

Nope.

https://www.legitreviews.com/two-pcie-nvme-ssds-tested-six-motherboards-intel-amd_197515

It also depends on whether the motherboard manufacturer wants to fully meet spec as well as operating system.

Why?

Maybe for you.

etc.

etc.

I don’t disagree.  It could have everything you want.    But that doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t have a reason to get something more.

Maybe they want to update the BIOS carefree?  Maybe they like being able to read the error codes as the machine boots.  Maybe they can tell the difference between good sound and “ok” sound.  All sorts of maybes and reasons to spend more money on a motherboard.  Some of these may not be worth it to you but they may be worth it to others.  If someone doesn’t choose a better motherboard, I won’t recommend otherwise unless it doesn’t work with the processor, etc.  But if someone wants a better motherboard, I can understand recommending something cheaper, but saying that there is absolutely no reason to have something better?

You're arguing things that really don't measure into credible differences after a certain point, ie. mid-range boards for example.

Higher end boards are for being able to push clocks and run more stable at the extreme, all connections and components included.

Thus it is not necessary to have such a stout board for his CPU/uses.   It won't give him any additional performance, nor less hassle.  May give him peace of mind tho, who knows.

Look at the list the OP started with, it's a jumble.  He didn't pick that motherboard for ANY of the reasons you mention (which really don't add up to much), he did it cuz it had a huge price tag.

Guide him to wisely spend his money, not try to justify blowing it.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Hilltrot said:

I literally linked the 2080S that costs the same as that 2070S, here the link again: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/49222/galax-geforce-rtx-2080-super-ex-oc-8gb

1 hour ago, Hilltrot said:

Motherboards that cost half of the price of that one will do everything a normal person would want, unless he is trying to get a motherboard for extreme OC and/or he already got a high end CPU it doesn't make sense to spend so much on a motherboard. There are motherboards that have everything you said he might want and still costs less than the CPU, also if he wants good sound with this kind of budget getting a external solution would be the way to go. For example the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC got most features you said with the exception of the error codes display, but it does have a debug led so it isn't that different and still costs less than the 3600. I didn't ever say that he should get a shitty motherboard, I said that spending so much on one makes no sense in this case.

If he have special wishes for the MB, he should say them and then the recommendations might change based on that. But as long he doesn't say so, the recommendations are based around what most people want/need.

12 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/pNp

you have 350 to spend on improvements or peripherals.  I included a decent monitor for the build because you do need a decent monitor for the price.

Lots of wasted money though in that spec.

A $219 cooler for a 3600 cpu ? You don't need anything more than a Cryorig H7 for $69 or Arctic Freezer 34 esports/Duo.

The Galax 2080 Super is $150 cheaper than the MSI. Even the Gigabyte Windforce is $20 cheaper.

Why does he need a $569 motherboard ? An MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon board is much cheaper at $279, or if he wants X570 then the Asus TUF Gaming wifi or Gigabyte Aorus Elite wifi are both $140 cheaper than the X570-E.

The Ram is also overpriced and CL18 isn't that great at that price. The Adata XPG Spectrix RGB 3200MHz CL16 kit is $90 cheaper.

Why a new monitor ? He already has a 2560 x 1080 144Hz one. He can stick with that if he is happy with it.

That case is also expensive. You could get something like the CoolerMaster MB530P TG for $100 less with the same amount of fans and better airflow.

Might as well just get a Samsung 860 QVO 2TB for $50 less, or spend a bit more and get the Adata SX8200 Pro.

I know he has a $4000 budget but that doesn't mean he has to spend it all in one go. I would save a chunk for upgrades later on. When Ryzen 4000 and Nvidia/AMD release the new products then current components should drop in price.