How do you know if you've applied thermal paste correctly?

like_21_ninjas

This is my first time applying thermal paste to a CPU and I'm wondering how do you know if you've applied it correctly (so it covers the whole of the CPU). Once you've screwed on the CPU cooler, can you take it off and check the CPU and just screw it back on?

Wouldn't advise it. Just use a rice grain sized amount and you should be fine

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

You don't, and removing the cooler and putting it back on means you still don't, as that often causes air pockets which is why its always recommended to clean it off and re-apply if you do that - so you'd still not know.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You can but I recommend just looking at your load temps.

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Applying thermal paste will never be %100 perfect corners of the chip will always be uncovered, don't stress about it too much honestly. And checking it over over again is not a good idea.