Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luster

Ethernet slower than Wifi

Posted · Original PosterOP

So yesterday I bought a Ethernet to usb 3.0 adapter for my laptop and when I do a speed test on Ethernet as soon as i plug it in i get 200 mbps but then over time in like a minute it just starts to decrease down to the lowest I have seen as 17 mbps but my upload remains the same. I tried updating the Ethernet driver and nothing changed any help? Im using the same Ethernet cable i use on my play station and i get around 150 to 180 making its fine there and my laptop has a usb 3.0 port. I also used the adapter on my nintendo switch and it works there at its max speed.

what is the speed on wifi?

Main System: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD, WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD, Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100, Dell P2210 1680x1050 OC 70Hz, E-Blue Memcanical "RGB" Keyboard, Logitech MX Anywhere 2S | Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD Linux + Windows Dual Boot | FREENAS/Minecraft Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 8GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD | Mothballed Optiplex: Celeron G1820, 0Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

21 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

what is the speed on wifi?

according to speedtest by ookla 193.61 mbps download and 5.77 upload. for ethernet it varies and is around 30-50 mbps with the same upload.

5 minutes ago, Luster said:

according to speedtest by ookla 193.61 mbps download and 5.77 upload. for ethernet it varies and is around 30-50 mbps with the same upload.

Maybe your USB to Ethernet adapter is broken

Main System: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, 2x8GB Kingston Valueram @ 2666Mhz, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X, Gigabyte A320M-S2H, Kingston 120Gb M.2 SSD, WD Blue 2.5 Inch 1tb HDD, Cooler Master MWE450, Aerocool CS-100, Dell P2210 1680x1050 OC 70Hz, E-Blue Memcanical "RGB" Keyboard, Logitech MX Anywhere 2S | Laptop: HP ProBook X360 G1 EE: Pentium N4200 @ 1.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 128Gb SSD Linux + Windows Dual Boot | FREENAS/Minecraft Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010: Celeron G1610 @ 2.6Ghz 8GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB Single HDD | Mothballed Optiplex: Celeron G1820, 0Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

Maybe your USB to Ethernet adapter is broken

cant be, i used it on my switch since it supports it and it works perfect there.

18 minutes ago, Luster said:

cant be, i used it on my switch since it supports it and it works perfect there.

Do you have any other USB devices connected to the laptop when you're getting these slow speeds on the USB ethernet adapter?

15 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Do you have any other USB devices connected to the laptop when you're getting these slow speeds on the USB ethernet adapter?

just my mouse is plugged in, ill try without it.

I jusr tried and the speed is still slow.

15 minutes ago, Luster said:

just my mouse is plugged in, ill try without it.

I jusr tried and the speed is still slow.

Go into Device Manager and expand 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. Is anything there listed as 'USB 3.0'?

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Go into Device Manager and expand 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. Is anything there listed as 'USB 3.0'?

yes there is, i even updated that driver and the ethernet driver