HDD causing fps stutter?

bamchi

was wondering if its gonna die on me or not, checked it's health its 100%.

fitness and performance on S.M.A.R.T is full bar. was wondering how is this happening?

I can confirm that in very few games I have noticed that the HDD is causing stuttering during the gameplay compared to running it from a SSD. One of the most notorious games for this is Arma 3 for example.

It's not actually affecting the FPS though, I think it has to do with loading the assets and it just can't keep up.

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I can confirm that in very few games I have noticed that the HDD is causing stuttering during the gameplay compared to running it from a SSD. One of the most notorious games for this is Arma 3 for example.

It's not actually affecting the FPS though, I think it has to do with loading the assets and it just can't keep up.

do u think its because I'm using a laptop hdd on my desktop? 

9 minutes ago, bamchi said:

do u think its because I'm using a laptop hdd on my desktop? 

If you run the OS and the games from the same HDD... it very well may be. Really depends on a game as well though.

I've noticed it in some games but mainly in Star Citizen though, funnily enough. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

A lot of games use texture streaming these days which means it's fetching a lot of resources from the drive itself during gameplay. If it's SSD it'll fetch those resources without any issues. With HDD, resources may be arriving with larger latency, meaning game engine always needs few milliseconds more to render each frame. Or to make it even worse, only some frames which will feel like stuttering even more.