Diy Nas

Hey guys, 

I want a Nas and thought about building one myself. A friend has a amd a10 9700 (don't ask why...) and I have 8gb of DDR4 laying around. So I thought of buying a cheap a320 board, throwing some hdds in loading FreeNAS on it. Is that a good idea? On the page of FreeNAS it says, that FreeNAS benefits from Intel processors. Is that just marketing, from a time of amd struggling with single-core-performance or still relevant? The Nas should only be for one person and mostly for pictures and office files. 

I hope, that this explains my situation

Thomas

What drive setup? How many tb do you want?

Freenas has some requirements, so you might want a different nas os like ubuntu or unraid.

For the start I thought about two one terabyte drives in Raid 1

5 hours ago, Thomas102002 said:

For the start I thought about two one terabyte drives in Raid 1

Do you plan to upgrade?

Id go bigger than 1tb if you can, there normally not a great value.

Whats your backup plan for the nas?

If its only 1tb and one user, id consider just adding a drive to your desktop.

There may be some very advanced functionality for certain hardware/software compatibility/support by using the Intel platform but for most applications/home use there isn't a overbearing reason you shouldn't/can't use AMD. Especially since ECC memory is supported on their desktop chips.

With servers, especially file servers per core performance is less relevant. It's possible with some network adapters the CPU could be a bottle-neck but there's often workarounds for that. At the time I believe AMDs solution was their Opteron series of server processor and they definitely held a much smaller market share. Very few people at home wanted to run them, they were expensive, and sucked a lot of power. Meanwhile Intel had a Xeon market that made sense for home use. They basically became the standard in the enterprise so OSs were designed around supporting features that took advantage of that. Meanwhile AMD went off and did their own thing. The OS will still run on AMD hardware though and most features will still work.

If you need it built inexpensively this is a route you can take if you want.