Speccy shows my RTX 2070 with 4 gigs of VRam

DudeWhatTheN
Just now, emosun said:

is that the only location it says that

Driver Booster too while in GPU Z it says 8 Gigs

5 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Driver Booster too while in GPU Z it says 8 Gigs

When you play a game and check the memory usage of your GPU does it use more than 4GB? 

4 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

When you play a game and check the memory usage of your GPU does it use more than 4GB? 

If you're on Windows 10 you should be able to see the total and used VRAM for your graphics card in task manager under the 'Performance' tab, if not, probably try Afterburner or something similar.

5 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

do this (use software like msi afterburner to do that 

13 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

Damn, it's stuck at 4 GB.

2 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Damn, it's stuck at 4 GB.

What particular model do you have and where did you buy it? 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

What particular model do you have and where did you buy it? 

MSI Gaming Z, bought it from Amazon

Just now, DudeWhatTheN said:

MSI Gaming Z, bought it from Amazon

I asked to see if you bought some fake shit from china

So you tried using afterburner on a game (no benchmark) at highest settings and it uses under 4GB? ( I stress the details just to be sure) 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

I asked to see if you bought some fake shit from china

So you tried using afterburner on a game (no benchmark) at highest settings and it uses under 4GB? ( I stress the details just to be sure) 

Actually, I bought it from amazon but the Package was chinese. I tought it was just a chinese version with no difference

Also, i'm using dragon center with maximum performance mode on

1 minute ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Actually, I bought it from amazon but the Package was chinese. I tought it was just a chinese version with no difference

Also, i'm using dragon center with maximum performance mode on

It seems like you bought a fake RTX 2070.

Just now, Viper9 said:

It seems like you bought a fake RTX 2070.

Wait, GPU Z should say it's fake, and it doesn't say anything.

3 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Wait, GPU Z should say it's fake, and it doesn't say anything.

How much have you paid for your chinese RTX 2070? 

Just now, Viper9 said:

How much have you paid for your chinese RTX 2070? 

555 Euros

1 minute ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

555 Euros

That's really strange, I would call MSI if this is a fake card maybe they will give you a new one. 

Just now, Viper9 said:

That's really strange, I would call MSI if this is a fake card maybe they will give you a new one. 

Thanks for the help, i'll try to know if it's fake.

34 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

555 Euros

just return the card to amazon (if you checked in a normal game NOT A BENCHMARK with highest settings and didnt see more than 4000 MB in vram usage ) because its a shitty deal as well 555 euros is too much for a non super 2070 

Oh also the game should be something recent and with good graphics like wither 3 or GTA V or whatever battlefield is the latest now :P 

1 hour ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Title says it all.

Speccy's update history shows the last update was in 2018.

I would guess this program just does not have the right updates to properly see your videocard's information.

My advice?

Delete Speccy and download a proper program.

GPU-Z and HWInfo64 would be my suggestions. Just check if these show the right information and also run a benchmark like 3DMark (demo version on Steam is fine) and check if the performance you get there lines up with what others are getting.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

To the best of my knowledge Speccy was written for the 32 bit version of Windows XP, not the 64 bit version. It got some updates but I believe the base code has not been updated to address more VRAM. If HWmonitor, GPU-Z and others show 8 GB than you should be fine. I've heard similar things from GTX 1080 users in the past.

So basically it does not check what's being reported by the card but instead checks how much memory it can address. Now if the application was written with 16 and 32 bit registers in mind, you wouldn't see more than 4 GB. Same goes for other applications and games by the way (with system memory).

45 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

To the best of my knowledge Speccy was written for the 32 bit version of Windows XP, not the 64 bit version. It got some updates but I believe the base code has not been updated to address more VRAM. If HWmonitor, GPU-Z and others show 8 GB than you should be fine. I've heard similar things from GTX 1080 users in the past.

So basically it does not check what's being reported by the card but instead checks how much memory it can address. Now if the application was written with 16 and 32 bit registers in mind, you wouldn't see more than 4 GB. Same goes for other applications and games by the way (with system memory).

Speccy works fine its a regularly updated program and gives accurate information it has no issues reading vram it even reads more obscure types like my 8GB HBM2 memory on my Vega64  which is a "glued" on GPU memory so to speak 

Both GPU-Z and HWInfo show 8 GB while Speccy and Driver Booster show 4, i think it's just a software error then ( i hope )