Speccy shows my RTX 2070 with 4 gigs of VRam

DudeWhatTheN
On 3/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, papajo said:

Oh also the game should be something recent and with good graphics like wither 3 or GTA V or whatever battlefield is the latest now :P 

Is Fortnite enough?

5 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Is Fortnite enough?

yes

10 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Is Fortnite enough?

Actually no... I thought it would be but upon checking some benchmarks I see it uses 3 to 4 GB of Vram 

Put a list of games you have at hand and Ill point you one that will take advantage of your full vram 

6 minutes ago, papajo said:

Actually no... I thought it would be but upon checking some benchmarks I see it uses 3 to 4 GB of Vram 

Put a list of games you have at hand and Ill point you one that will take advantage of your full vram 

No worries, i'll just download BF V and test it on there

Edit: i realised i can download Detroit: Became Human demo, that's a heavy game. Is that enough?

1 hour ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

No worries, i'll just download BF V and test it on there

Edit: i realised i can download Detroit: Became Human demo, that's a heavy game. Is that enough?

Well I have bad news... I thought if that if you run some contemporary games on highest resolutions (using DSR) at highest settings you would get close to 8GB Vram usage but it turns out its very hard to achieve this ... :P 

Most games peak out at ~5Gigs usage no matter how you much you crank up the settings... 

and unfortunately i dont have much free time left for the moment to research further I may look up the issue at a later point though...

for the time what you can do is just look at game benchmarks on youtube and check on how much VRAM they use up (the thubnail will have the afterburner stats on the top left so that you know that the video will have vram usage displayed in the benchmark) 

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

Well I have bad news... I thought if that if you run some contemporary games on highest resolutions (using DSR) at highest settings you would get close to 8GB Vram usage but it turns out its very hard to achieve this ... :P 

Most games peak out at ~5Gigs usage no matter how you much you crank up the settings... 

and unfortunately i dont have much free time left for the moment to research further I may look up the issue at a later point though...

for the time what you can do is just look at game benchmarks on youtube and check on how much VRAM they use up (the thubnail will have the afterburner stats on the top left so that you know that the video will have vram usage displayed in the benchmark) 

That explains a lot, maybe speccy and driver booster just showed me the max gigs used for games. Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

That explains a lot, maybe speccy and driver booster just showed me the max gigs used for games. Thank you so much!

No speccy should show the entire vram download the latest version 

21 hours ago, papajo said:

No speccy should show the entire vram download the latest version 

Still shows 4 gb after installing latest version

Edit: i figured it out, both speccy and driver booster don't recognize GDDR6 VRAM very well, so they both show 4 GB.

13 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Still shows 4 gb after installing latest version

That is strange... What version of windows do you have? 

Run powershell as an admin and paste this:

$qwMemorySize = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0*" -Name HardwareInformation.qwMemorySize -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)."HardwareInformation.qwMemorySize"
[math]::round($qwMemorySize/1GB)

If it turns 8 then atleast your system thinks you have 8GB of VRAM which will mean that (incase you dont crash of have huge framedrops after utilizing more than 4 GB) everything is ok 

Just look at task manager. 

If it shows 8gb of vram it's probably fine. 

If it doesn't, well you got scammed. 

Just now, toasty99 said:

Just look at task manager. 

If it shows 8gb of vram it's probably fine. 

If it doesn't, well you got scammed. 

Moded bios can make it seem like 8GB but if he installed official nvidia drivers (and not the ones that came with the card which could probably be tempered as well incase its a fake) they should enter the correct VRAM amount to the specific registry key he will call pasting the text I provided above. 

Ok I thought of a way to check if you have and can use all 8GB of ram

You gonna need blender (freeware) either install it via steam or download it here https://www.blender.org/download/

And GPU-Z (freeware) https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

download a blender file I prepared from here http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=53097

I made a recording with the few steps you need to do you can watch it here  https://streamable.com/iskau

after fulfilling the steps as seen on the video hit F12 to start rendering.. the GPU is not going to get loaded immediately the rendering process needs to finish some stuff (as pointed with my mouse coursor on the render video) once it starts rendering you should see 100% GPU load on GPU Z and vram usage of around 6.5GB (mind that a portion of Vram is used for other tasks such as displaying windows etc so its better not to increase that a lot higher as you see mine used 1,7Gigs already before blender) 

Also notice that I have a vega 64 in that system so I clicked on OpenCL on cycles (you understand what I am referring too once you watch the small clip i prepared above) you need to go and enable your card from CUDA dab which I hovered around with my mouse in that clip also make sure you dont check your CPU as well. 

Also make sure that you set the cache at 8192(thats the size in MB which equals to 8Gigs)  as I marked in the clip above. 

You can add a dozen of minimum light sources (where to change that also shown in the clip) to a bigger number in order to add some MB to the VRAM load and make sure that the subdivision is set to 8 as shown in the clip. 

If blender crashes then it means you dont have 8Gigs of vram available. 

On 3/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, papajo said:

You gonna need blender (freeware) either install it via steam or download it here https://www.blender.org/download/

download a blender file I prepared from here http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=53097

I made a recording with the few steps you need to do you can watch it here  https://streamable.com/iskau

after fulfilling the steps as seen on the video hit F12 to start rendering.. the GPU is not going to get loaded immediately the rendering process needs to finish some stuff (as pointed with my mouse coursor on the render video) once it starts rendering you should see 100% GPU load on GPU Z and vram usage of around 6.5GB (mind that a portion of Vram is used for other tasks such as displaying windows etc so its better not to increase that a lot higher as you see mine used 1,7Gigs already before blender) 

Also notice that I have a vega 64 in that system so I clicked on OpenCL on cycles (you understand what I am referring too once you watch the small clip i prepared above) you need to go and enable your card from CUDA dab which I hovered around with my mouse in that clip also make sure you dont check your CPU as well. 

Also make sure that you set the cache at 8192(thats the size in MB which equals to 8Gigs)  as I marked in the clip above. 

You can add a dozen of minimum light sources (where to change that also shown in the clip) to a bigger number in order to add some MB to the VRAM load and make sure that the subdivision is set to 8 as shown in the clip. 

Can you upload the file somewhere else? The page doesn't load.

1 hour ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Can you upload the file somewhere else? The page doesn't load.

It loads its mostly empty but that's how the page should be click on download

On 3/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, papajo said:

it says no compatible gpu found for path tracing

3 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

it says no compatible gpu found for path tracing

You dont need to check on the OpenCL cycles (I need to do that because I am using an AMD card) you just need to click on your card in the CUDA tab (as I did in the openCL tab) 

Just now, papajo said:

You dont need to check on the OpenCL cycles (I need to do that because I am using an AMD card) you just need to click on your card in the CUDA tab (as I did in the openCL tab) 

Oh,ok, thank you

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

Just finished rendering, memory usage was like 7000 mb.

Thanks for all the help dude, even if this thread is quite old you remained just to help me and even made a blender project just to test things with me.

11 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Just finished rendering, memory usage was like 7000 mb.

Thanks for all the help dude, even if this thread is quite old you remained just to help me and even made a blender project just to test things with me.

You are welcome atleast we know now that you have indeed 8GB vram for sure :) 

32 minutes ago, papajo said:

You are welcome atleast we know now that you have indeed 8GB vram for sure :) 

Heh you're right.

May i ask one more thing regarding my rtx 2070?

4 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Heh you're right.

May i ask one more thing regarding my rtx 2070?

shoot

10 minutes ago, papajo said:

shoot

I noticed one of my gpu fans is spinning slower than the other, any idea? I've been getting low fps in fortnite (100 fps) and i think that's the cause.

14 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

I noticed one of my gpu fans is spinning slower than the other, any idea? I've been getting low fps in fortnite (100 fps) and i think that's the cause.

Use MSI afterburner to check on your temps if they are high (like above 75 ) and both fans are not spinning fast then you probably have an issue...

Also you MSI afterburner custom fancurve and set them to max do you notice any difference (like does it still seem that one fan isnt spinning at the same speed? ) 

also try to listen for noises the fac could be hitting something like a cable or whatnot while you do that check as well if nothing is touching the fans.