Fresh start?

Legodude50

I’m thinking about doing the fresh start feature on windows 10 and was wondering what it deletes? I’ve heard pretty mixed stuff on the topic. From my understanding there’s a delete everything and a keep files option. Does this keep files option keep stuff like games? I’ve been noticing kind of slow boot ups with a bit of lag at the start up screen where I click and sign in, and I figured maybe this would help. I do have an HDD. Not an SSD, so maybe that’s the culprit? If I do upgrade to an SSD how would I go about keeping my stuff? I have lots of games downloaded that I would hate to re download. Also very paranoid about all my stuff disappearing into the void 

10 minutes ago, Legodude50 said:

I do have an HDD. Not an SSD, so maybe that’s the culprit? If I do upgrade to an SSD how would I go about keeping my stuff?

More than likely that's it. You'll have to back up everything important and reinstall windows from scratch- assuming the ssd is smaller than the hdd.

If it's the same size or bigger you can clone, but even in that situation I'd still prefer to do a fresh installation.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

More than likely that's it. You'll have to back up everything important and reinstall windows from scratch- assuming the ssd is smaller than the hdd.

If it's the same size or bigger you can clone, but even in that situation I'd still prefer to do a fresh installation.

Could you maybe give me a SSD recommendation? I was looking into a 970 Samsung evo nvme but it’s expensive. It’s $59 off though. It’s 1 terabyte. Could you also tell me how to back my stuff up? I’m not very informed on any of this so it’s a little overwhelming 

Just now, Legodude50 said:

Could you maybe give me a SSD recommendation? I was looking into a 970 Samsung evo nvme but it’s expensive. It’s $59 off though. It’s 1 terabyte. Could you also tell me how to back my stuff up? I’m not very informed on any of this so it’s a little overwhelming 

Does the drive need to be SATA or do you have an m.2 slot?

When I back up I usually just take the important files and copy them over to a large external drive or a big usb. There's only like 10 folders I really need overall.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Does the drive need to be SATA or do you have an m.2 slot?

When I back up I usually just take the important files and copy them over to a large external drive or a big usb. There's only like 10 folders I really need overall.

Yes my motherboard has a m.2 slot. I however don’t have a screw to fit it down. Does the drive come with a screw or? Also if if everything is already on my HDD wouldn’t be it as simple as just unplugging the HDD, installing windows on my SSD and then plug in the HDD once windows is done installing and it’ll all be there in form of a secondary drive, and just transfer stuff as need be? Is that an option or?

Just now, Legodude50 said:

Yes my motherboard has a m.2 slot. I however don’t have a screw to fit it down. Does the drive come with a screw or? Also if if everything is already on my HDD wouldn’t be it as simple as just unplugging the HDD, installing windows on my SSD and then plug in the HDD once windows is done installing and it’ll all be there in form of a secondary drive, and just transfer stuff as need be? Is that an option or?

If you want a 1TB drive look at something like this then:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxKcCJ/crucial-p1-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000p1ssd8

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DgJtt6/western-digital-blue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Qw7YJ/crucial-mx500-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000mx500ssd4

Regarding the data: I'm personally not completely sure in that situation. I've never had to reinstall like that before. I'm not so sure that it would play kindly seeing that there's a windows install on the drive already- But I could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If you want a 1TB drive look at something like this then:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxKcCJ/crucial-p1-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000p1ssd8

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DgJtt6/western-digital-blue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Qw7YJ/crucial-mx500-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000mx500ssd4

Regarding the data: I'm personally not completely sure in that situation. I've never had to reinstall like that before. I'm not so sure that it would play kindly seeing that there's a windows install on the drive already- But I could be wrong.

I think I accidentally didn’t send my reply, The links you sent me to those nvme sticks are cheaper than the Samsung one I’m looking at ($250 with $50 off currently) I’d love to save some money but do the cheaper ones you linked perform as well or is the expensive option better? 

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

you can resize the C partition to the size of the ssd and then clone it.

She/Her

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

you can resize the C partition to the size of the ssd and then clone it.

If you're using Macrium Reflect, not some mindless clone tool, you can clone bigger drive to smaller without resizing partitions on source drive (they'll be resized during clone). All you need is to check that amount of data on hdd is smaller than capacity of your ssd.

7 hours ago, Legodude50 said:

I think I accidentally didn’t send my reply, The links you sent me to those nvme sticks are cheaper than the Samsung one I’m looking at ($250 with $50 off currently) I’d love to save some money but do the cheaper ones you linked perform as well or is the expensive option better? 

They'll be perfectly fine. Samsung is known to have high prices.