Upgrading from a Laptop and searching for advice

Go to solution Solved by WaggishOhio383,
1 minute ago, JakxterX said:

I didn't add any thermal paste because I thought there is some pre applied on the stock cooler  .

There may actually be paste pre-applied. I didn't use the stock cooler. I upgraded to a different one, which also came with thermal paste. However, the thermal paste that comes with the cooler usually isn't as high quality as something you could buy yourself, and it's always good to have some laying around in case you need to replace the paste or apply some to something else. In the end, it's up to you. If the stock cooler comes with paste, and you trust it, then you can just use it if you want.

So I decided that I want to get a new Gaming Rig because my old one sucks

I currently live in Germany and aim for a Gaming/Streaming PC 

My budget is 1300€ for the PC

I want 2 Monitors IPS with 144 hz , Freesync

and for the OS I want to switch to Linux 

I didn't include a CPU fan because I want to save some money and I don't intend to OC

If there is anything that I can upgrade or add please feel free to say so. 

This is what i have come up with so far

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2GxMXv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€305.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€157.19 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€126.80 @ Alza) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC Video Card  (€366.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€96.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€76.89 @ Alternate) 
Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (€189.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (€189.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Keyboard: ROCCAT VULCAN 120 AIMO Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone AIMO Remastered Wired Optical Mouse  (€69.98 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Headphones: SteelSeries Arctis 3 (White) 7.1 Channel  Headset  (€87.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1747.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-05 18:29 CET+0100

Without Peripherals : 1210.56€

This looks pretty good. Just a few things I would like to point out:

1. If you want more storage space, you would do much better to get a smaller SSD as your boot drive and then get a large HDD to store files. This would definitely help if you need to store videos or photos on the computer. For the price you're paying for a 1TB SSD, you could get a 120 or 240GB SSD as your boot drive and then get a 4TB HDD as an extra storage drive. Just something to consider if you don't care about the speed difference. I have a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD, and I'm able to run games from the HDD fine.
  2. You might want to consider upgrading to a 650w PSU. A 550w should work for your current build, but it won't leave much room for upgrades in the future, since your components right now will probably use between 450 and 500w.
  3. Don't forget to factor in a WiFi adapter (if you need it) and fans. The motherboard you're getting doesn't appear to have built-in WiFi, so you will need an internal or external adapter if you won't be using ethernet. Also, most cases only come with one or two fans, so you'll likely want to get more. Also, you hopefully know this, but since it isn't on the list I'm just going to say it in case you forgot. Don't forget that you need thermal paste for your CPU as well. It's very important.

This looks like a really good build though. Hopefully the build process goes well for you.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Other than the intel 660p everything looks good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

This looks pretty good. Just a few things I would like to point out:

1. If you want more storage space, you would do much better to get a smaller SSD as your boot drive and then get a large HDD to store files. This would definitely help if you need to store videos or photos on the computer. For the price you're paying for a 1TB SSD, you could get a 120 or 240GB SSD as your boot drive and then get a 4TB HDD as an extra storage drive. Just something to consider if you don't care about the speed difference. I have a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD, and I'm able to run games from the HDD fine.
  2. You might want to consider upgrading to a 650w PSU. A 550w should work for your current build, but it won't leave much room for upgrades in the future, since your components right now will probably use between 450 and 500w.
  3. Don't forget to factor in a WiFi (if you need it) adapter and fans. The motherboard you're getting doesn't appear to have built-in WiFi, so you will need an internal or external adapter if you won't be using ethernet. Also, most cases only come with one or two fans, so you'll likely want to get more. Also, you hopefully know this, but since it isn't on the list I'm just going to say it in case you forgot. Don't forget that you need thermal paste for your CPU as well. It's very important.

This looks like a really good build though. Hopefully the build process goes well for you.

I upgraded my Power Supply to 650 W now! Regarding the storage space I've got an external Drive where I put videos,photos,etc. and I didn't add any thermal paste because I thought there is some pre applied on the stock cooler  .

Thank you ! ? 

Looks good, but a few things to consider are your very low amount of storage (especially for how much you're paying for it) and your quite frankly awful peripherals.

For a budget of almost two grand, you can get a much, much better keyboard, mouse, and headset.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, JakxterX said:

I didn't add any thermal paste because I thought there is some pre applied on the stock cooler  .

There may actually be paste pre-applied. I didn't use the stock cooler. I upgraded to a different one, which also came with thermal paste. However, the thermal paste that comes with the cooler usually isn't as high quality as something you could buy yourself, and it's always good to have some laying around in case you need to replace the paste or apply some to something else. In the end, it's up to you. If the stock cooler comes with paste, and you trust it, then you can just use it if you want.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Looks good, but a few things to consider are your very low amount of storage (especially for how much you're paying for it) and your quite frankly awful peripherals.

For a budget of almost two grand, you can get a much, much better keyboard, mouse, and headset.

Why are they awful and which peripherals do you recommend? They seem pretty decent to me though.

50 minutes ago, JakxterX said:

So I decided that I want to get a new Gaming Rig because my old one sucks

I currently live in Germany and aim for a Gaming/Streaming PC 

My budget is 1300€ for the PC

I want 2 Monitors IPS with 144 hz , Freesync

and for the OS I want to switch to Linux 

I didn't include a CPU fan because I want to save some money and I don't intend to OC

If there is anything that I can upgrade or add please feel free to say so. 

This is what i have come up with so far

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2GxMXv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€305.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€157.19 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€126.80 @ Alza) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC Video Card  (€366.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€96.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€76.89 @ Alternate) 
Keyboard: ROCCAT VULCAN 120 AIMO Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone AIMO Remastered Wired Optical Mouse  (€69.98 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Headphones: SteelSeries Arctis 3 (White) 7.1 Channel  Headset  (€87.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1747.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-05 18:29 CET+0100

Without Peripherals : 1210.56€

As Waggish... says i recommend a 650w psu.

Also if u are into gaming more than creative content creating, my suggestion is to go for a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600x and a Msi ventus oc 2070s.

If u are not into Ray tracing ur current options are all fine.

58 minutes ago, JakxterX said:

Why are they awful and which peripherals do you recommend? They seem pretty decent to me though.

If you're happy with them, it's fine, but the headset is fairly low-end and won't sound great or be super comfy, the keyboard and mouse aren't *bad* but there is much better for your budget.

For the mouse I'd look at something from Logitech, and for the keyboard I might even look into a cheap custom (but since keyboard is totally personal-preference, if you like it, that's fine).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈