Windows licence

WhyML

Hi everyone

I bought a Lenovo Thinkbook 14s (20RM0005US) here in Canada with Windows 10 Pro. I am a long date Linux user, son I didn't agree with the WIndows EULA and the computer turned off,

I want to know if there is any process in Canada to remove these bundled OS  and get licence price refunded. Have anyone tried that before ?

Thanks in advance

removing the OS is easily you just install a new one as for a refund, I don't believe you can get one. the way to save the money would have been to buy it from lenovo with some linux distro on it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Dude, just install Windows 7 or wipe the drive and put Linux on there and be done with it.

The PC and OS are a package deal. The only way to get the OS cost back is if you ARE the company selling these computers and you have an agreement with your OEM or ISV.

14 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Dude, just install Windows 7 or wipe the drive and put Linux on there and be done with it.

You can't install Windows 7 on current gen hardware, and you shouldn't as Windows 7 is EOL and shouldn't be used anymore.

The only alternative is to indeed install Linux.

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

removing the OS is easily you just install a new one as for a refund, I don't believe you can get one. the way to save the money would have been to buy it from lenovo with some linux distro on it.

Assuming Lenovo offers this. Afaik, the only major OEM that offers Linux is Dell on their XPS lineup. Alternatives include System76, which only sell Linux laptops.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Assuming Lenovo offers this. Afaik, the only major OEM that offers Linux is Dell on their XPS lineup. Alternatives include System76, which only sell Linux laptops.

They don't seem to. HP will put on DOS, the point was the only way would be to custom order it without.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

@NelizMastr You have it WRONG. You can install windows 7, you just can't update it.

HOWEVER!!! You can image a physical hard drive with a fully assembled Windows 7 virtual machine file, and after installing drivers it will work fine.

And NO, it's not done and over just because M$ stopped publicly supporting it. ESU updates are here and NOW!

And yes, we the people of great experience with Windows can use the ESU updates. And we do. Nothing will ever stop the enthusiasts among us from having things our way with Windows.

I would love to demonstrate using W7 on a modern PC, but I have neither the time nor the money to get a "newer" system to test this. Although, if you can tell me how to live boot Windows 7 from a USB flash drive, I'll go to the nearest store and test the software on a modern computer myself.

I see that you are discussing something that I didn't ask for, I never used Windows since XP, instead using Debian.

My question was too simple: is it possible to get refund on my windows licence, not if I can use WIndows 7 on my recent system...

18 minutes ago, WhyML said:

I see that you are discussing something that I didn't ask for, I never used Windows since XP, instead using Debian.

My question was too simple: is it possible to get refund on my windows licence, not if I can use WIndows 7 on my recent system...

Disregard them. You can also use Report-button to notify moderators if you feel like people aren't respecting your question and start to derail discussion. I've removed the derail portion (and if you like, I will remove all of it).

As for question, the laptop with preinstalled OS is indeed package deal. Price of OS in there is something very minor, like $50, In theory you could sell that license if you haven't activated it.

If you can access BIOS without going to OS, you can install whatever OS you like. But saying this with Lenovo, I had to use Win10 features to get into BIOS and I only wanted to use clean ISO instead of built-in restore function. The other option is to talk with Lenovo support about it. Or with store you bought it from, but unless its specialized to IT gear, don't expect miracles.

In consumer protection laws side, I think the only argument you can make is that you should be able to change OS to what you want or get full refund. But its kinda like buying car and wanting different tires afterwards. They are not obligated to buy tires back from you. Talk to consumer protection agency, store and Lenovo support for details, if needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, WhyML said:

Sadly, no. At least not directly. The licence itself may just be worth a few quids anyway. If there's no msdm-information for a win-licence inside the bios you may transfer it to a different computer, or give it to a friend/someone else as long as you're honest about it since it is in disregard of the Eula.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:24 AM, WhyML said:

is it possible to get refund on my windows licence

No, its bundled in to the price. Nothing can be done here. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Solved, I managed to get a 55$ refund after filling a forced selling report with a consumer protection agency.

I will have to return my machine to repair center so they can remove key and OS from the machine.