Laptop HDMI

Simony

So i have an acer A715-62G. Im wondering which version of hdmi port does it have as im buying a new 1080p monitor and i want to run it at 144hz. And i cant find the info on this anywhere.

If your laptop has a GTX 1650, the HDMI version should be 2.0b.  1080p at 144Hz only requires HDMI 1.4, which has been in use since 2009.

3 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

If your laptop has a GTX 1650, the HDMI version should be 2.0b.  1080p at 144Hz only requires HDMI 1.4, which has been in use since 2009.

My laptop has a GTX 1050 with 4GB of RAM

37 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

The GTX 1050 also has HDMI 2.0b. :)

So my 1050 Mobile of course has HDMI 2.0b? What if my laptop doesnt have that

If your laptop has an older HDMI version, it's likely 1.4 at the worst, and that's still fast enough for 1080p at 144Hz.

So im going to buy the AOC 24G2U. On the site it says it has an hdmi 1.4 input. So if my laptop which im connecting it too has an 1.4 or higher will i be able to run 1080p at 144hz?

2 minutes ago, Simony said:

So im going to buy the AOC 24G2U. On the site it says it has an hdmi 1.4 input. So if my laptop which im connecting it too has an 1.4 or higher will i be able to run 1080p at 144hz?

Technically, yes.

But that is the theoretical HDMI 1.4 standard, which any manufacturer could deviate from the norm.

The monitor seems to be able to do up to 146Hz on HDMI, so it's just a matter on if you laptop support it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think this will help

Annotation 2020-01-26 180806.png

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Technically, yes.

But that is the theoretical HDMI 1.4 standard, which any manufacturer could deviate from the norm.

The monitor seems to be able to do up to 146Hz on HDMI, so it's just a matter on if you laptop support it.

Yes on the site it says it support 144hz on HDMI as you said. And my laptop acer A715-72G has a 1050 inside it so i guess it has at least a 1.4 HDMI?

16 minutes ago, Simony said:

Yes on the site it says it support 144hz on HDMI as you said. And my laptop acer A715-72G has a 1050 inside it so i guess it has at least a 1.4 HDMI?

GTX 1050 is HDMI 2.0b compatible even, but you're still dependent on what it will support.

But I just though of something; I have a laptop with a GTX 1050 (not Ti) in it. I also have a 3840x2160 display. I'll easily be able to determine what that does for output, what HDMI type.

I'll try that out and report back with the results in a minute.

EDIT: just tried it out. On my 3840x2160 monitor I was only able to get 29Hz (which if memory serves right is 29.97Hz, which rounds up to 30Hz). That means my laptop with a GTX 1050 (non Ti) installed adheres to the HDMI 1.4 standard (not any better, not any worse. 1.4 standard).

In theory that means it can do 1080p144Hz as well.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, minibois said:

GTX 1050 is HDMI 2.0b compatible even, but you're still dependent on what it will support.

But I just though of something; I have a laptop with a GTX 1050 (not Ti) in it. I also have a 3840x2160 display. I'll easily be able to determine what that does for output, what HDMI type.

EDIT: just tried it out. On my 3840x2160 monitor I was only able to get 29Hz (which if memory serves right is 29.97Hz, which rounds up to 30Hz). That means my laptop with a GTX 1050 (non Ti) installed adheres to the HDMI 1.4 standard (not any better, not any worse. 1.4 standard).

Ok thats all I need. 1.4 HDMI as the monitor is 1.4 so i dont need more. So i hope that I will be able to do 144hz. 

13 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

As a general rule of thumb you don't usually have to worry about graphics cards, they pretty much always support the full standard. You just need to check the monitor, and in this case it does support 144 Hz over HDMI.

Yes it says it on the website so it should work I hope. One question if you know the answer. If I have a laptop with a 1050 will a 144hz external monitor use more performsnce than a 60hz. Asking so I know I wont play my games on 20fps with new monitor

27 minutes ago, minibois said:

Could you maybe tell me the model of your laptop?

Just now, Simony said:

Could you maybe tell me the model of your laptop?

ASUS Vivobook Pro 15 (N580VD)

Yes it says it on the website so it should work I hope. One question if you know the answer. If I have a laptop with a 1050 will a 144hz external monitor use more performsnce than a 60hz. Asking so I know I wont play my games on 20fps with new monitor

A monitor does not impact the performance of a videocard, a monitor just displays what is given by the videocard thus will not impact performance.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

ASUS Vivobook Pro 15 (N580VD)

A monitor does not impact the performance of a videocard, a monitor just displays what is given by the videocard thus will not impact performance.

But having a monitor with a bigger resolution impacts perforamcne as it has to drive more pixels?

But having a monitor with a bigger resolution impacts perforamcne as it has to drive more pixels?

Yes, but you didn't mention it having more pixels:

8 minutes ago, Simony said:

If I have a laptop with a 1050 will a 144hz external monitor use more performsnce than a 60hz. Asking so I know I wont play my games on 20fps with new monitor

If you grab a secondary monitor - one with the same resolution as your laptop screen - and play a videogame on that secondary monitor, your performance will not go down. Even if you laptop monitor is still turned on, if you are not doing anything on that monitor, your fps on that secondary screen will be the same as playing that game on only your laptop display.

Now of course - for example  - if your laptop has a 1280x720 display and you are connecting to a 1920x1080,144Hz monitor, your laptop has to do more work, meaning you would get less fps. Not because the monitor is 144Hz instead of 60Hz, but simply because it has more pixels.

The Hz (frequency) of the monitor does not impact your fps. The resolution of the monitor (or rather, the resolution you pick in a game) does affect fps

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Yes, but you didn't mention it having more pixels:

If you grab a secondary monitor - one with the same resolution as your laptop screen - and play a videogame on that secondary monitor, your performance will not go down. Even if you laptop monitor is still turned on, if you are not doing anything on that monitor, your fps on that secondary screen will be the same as playing that game on only your laptop display.

Now of course - for example  - if your laptop has a 1280x720 display and you are connecting to a 1920x1080,144Hz monitor, your laptop has to do more work, meaning you would get less fps. Not because the monitor is 144Hz instead of 60Hz, but simply because it has more pixels.

The Hz (frequency) of the monitor does not impact your fps. The resolution of the monitor (or rather, the resolution you pick in a game) does affect fps

Ok thanks. Yeh it is the same resolution just wanted to check if im correct. So even if my laptop somehow has a 1.3 hdmi. It cant be lower? I will still be able to achieve 144hz?

Ok thanks. Yeh it is the same resolution just wanted to check if im correct. So even if my laptop somehow has a 1.3 hdmi. It cant be lower? I will still be able to achieve 144hz?

HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 have the same max, but as far as I know, 1.3 isn't used much.

But it will depend on the laptop manufacturer, you should try to check if they have something listed.

Or you should go to a store where they have 144Hz monitors on display and just ask an employee if you can connect your laptop to try out if 144Hz works.

Just now, minibois said:

But it will depend on the laptop manufacturer, you should try to check if they have something listed.

Or you should go to a store where they have 144Hz monitors on display and just ask an employee if you can connect your laptop to try out if 144Hz works.

Ok. So there is 99% it will work unless it has an hdmi 1.2 which I doubt?

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

It will work. Actually you may be limited to 120 Hz due to Intel HD Graphics limitations. But it won't be lower than that.

Yes I saw that problem somewhere. Could you tell me whats the problem and how to fix it?

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Do you know anything about the problem with intel graphics?

1 hour ago, Simony said:

Yes I saw that problem somewhere. Could you tell me whats the problem and how to fix it?

Sometimes on laptops with switchable graphics, the ports are limited to 120 Hz at 1080p. There is no fix unless the laptop BIOS has an option to use dedicated NVIDIA GPU only instead of switchable graphics.