LGA1155 motherboard died. What mobo to re-purpose a i5-2500k into a NAS?

Just as the title says.

My ASRock Z68 Pro-3 M motherboard just finally ate it. So, I am left with my first CPU i5-2500k and 16gb of DDR3 that I would like to re-purpose into NAS duty. Thinking this U-NAS case would be a good option for me.

My question is, what motherboard would y'all recommend? 

The front runner from a little bit of my shopping is the ASUS P8P67-M PRO. It has 7 sata ports (... not sure if I should be using onboard or getting a raid card...) advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Personally I would search for a server motherboard with IPMI (Like from Supermicro) then go with a Linux distribution & software RAID.

Good call!

I am not finding any Supermicro boards with any decent amount of SATA ports, thus i am looking for boards with pciexpress for a raid card + IPMI.

This dell one is the only one i am finding... any reason it wouldn't work? 

5 hours ago, chronsbons said:

Good call!

I am not finding any Supermicro boards with any decent amount of SATA ports, thus i am looking for boards with pciexpress for a raid card + IPMI.

This dell one is the only one i am finding... any reason it wouldn't work? 

Where are you going to put the motherboard? I'd not believe it has IPMI.

I found this this, although it's an Micro-ATX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X9SCM-F-Micro-ATX-DDR3-SDRAM-LGA-1155-Server-Motherboard-I-o-Shield/402106659938?epid=1938286473&hash=item5d9f6cb462:g:fUQAAOSwGIJeTd88

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Where are you going to put the motherboard? I'd not believe it has IPMI.

I found this this, although it's an Micro-ATX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X9SCM-F-Micro-ATX-DDR3-SDRAM-LGA-1155-Server-Motherboard-I-o-Shield/402106659938?epid=1938286473&hash=item5d9f6cb462:g:fUQAAOSwGIJeTd88

I intend to put the Motherboard in one of these NAS cases from U-NAS: http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17640&cat=249&page=1

IPMI would be nice to have for something like this, but i don't think it is a must have as the NAS will be easy to physically access. My problem with that supermicro board is that it only has 6 sata ports and on top of that only has standard PCI expansion rather than PCIE... is that a big deal? are there good PCI raid controllers?

9 minutes ago, chronsbons said:

IPMI would be nice to have for something like this, but i don't think it is a must have as the NAS will be easy to physically access. My problem with that supermicro board is that it only has 6 sata ports and on top of that only has standard PCI expansion rather than PCIE... is that a big deal? are there good PCI raid controllers?

Those are PCI_e x8 slots. Most RAID cards and HBA's are x8 so it's fine. If you must go hardware RAID do not cheap-out on the controller. You'll regret it in the long run. Something like the LSI 9260-8i should be good.