Which GPU for which CPU.  

KWelz

Before we even start, yes I know this is First world problems!

I am in the process of working on a couple of my computers.  Both are gaming computers, one in my office and one in my Living room.  

I am trying to decide the best match up between the CPUs, and GPUs.  

CPUs are:

8700K OCed to 5.0 Ghz

3800X Unsure of the OC potential yet.  

GPUs

EVGA 2080TI FTW3.

EVGA 2080 SC Black.  

These are only really gaming systems with some basic Image manipulation and Slicing 3D files so no content creation to speak of.    

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

1 minute ago, KWelz said:

CPUs are:

8700K OCed to 5.0 Ghz

3800X Unsure of the OC potential yet.  

GPUs

EVGA 2080TI FTW3.

EVGA 2080 SC Black.  

Both are able to handle both GPUs very well, so it doesn't matter which one you match it with.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Both are able to handle both GPUs very well, so it doesn't matter which one you match it with.

I agree here with Syn. You won't have any issues. 

Though I would put the best parts in the best machine. So that would be the 2080Ti in the 3800X system. Make a beastly machine more beastly ya know? That is the logic I am following. No reason otherwise. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Thanks guys.   

Last question.  Would a 650watt Gold rated SFX PSU be enough for the 3800X and 2080Ti?  It is what I currently have on the 3800X/2080 Combo but am not sure if it is enough for the larger card. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Considering that Intel‘s architecture is better for gaming and you aren’t doing heavy content creation, I would put the 2080ti with the 8700k. The 8700k will take better advantage of the added gaming performance of the 2080ti especially considering that overclock. The 3800x is technically a more powerful chip, but the 8700k overclocked is better than the 3800x at stock at most tasks. I hope all goes well!

28 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

I agree here with Syn. You won't have any issues. 

Though I would put the best parts in the best machine. So that would be the 2080Ti in the 3800X system. Make a beastly machine more beastly ya know? That is the logic I am following. No reason otherwise. 

The 8700k overclocked is more powerful than the 3800x at stock and Intel’s architecture will take better advantage of the gaming performance of the 2080tj. Just because the 3800x is technically more powerful at stock than the 8700k at stock, it’s still a 5% difference, and I would assume that the 8700k has more overclocking headroom.

The 8700k should probably go with the lower resolution display, in case there's any difference between your living room and office displays. In lower resolutions the 8700k might be able to deliver slightly better performance, the GPU just put the stronger where the extra performance is needed.

Just now, Quadrum said:

Considering that Intel‘s architecture is better for gaming and you aren’t doing heavy content creation, I would put the 2080ti with the 8700k. The 8700k will take better advantage of the added gaming performance of the 2080ti especially considering that overclock. The 3700x is technically a more powerful chip, but the 8700k overclocked is better than the 3700x at stock at most tasks. I hope all goes well!

If he is using the card for 4K or even 1440p Ultra there's going to be no noticeable difference.

Just now, KaitouX said:

If he is using the card for 4K or even 1440p Ultra there's going to be no noticeable difference.

That’s probably true. I would agree that he should pair the 8700k with the lower resolution monitor because Intel can push more frames.

1 minute ago, KaitouX said:

The 8700k should probably go with the lower resolution display, in case there's any difference between your living room and office displays. In lower resolutions the 8700k might be able to deliver slightly better performance, the GPU just put the stronger where the extra performance is needed.

Sorry that would have been important information.   

Both Machines are on 1440x3440 displays.  

Office Machine is a Predator X34 (Older 100hz version)

Living room is an Acer as well but only runs at 75hz.  

Probably the best would be the 8700k+2080ti on the 100Hz and the 3800x+2080 on the other, if there was a 4k TV involved then it would be likely better to put the 3800x+2080Ti on the 4k display.

The difference probably won't be big anyway, but the Intel might get some extra frames for the 100hz display, and the 2080ti should probably be on the more demanding display.

Lots to think about here.  One last factor.  Cooling.   

The Office PC will be able to use a Noctua DH15S or 240 AIO.   

The Living room machine is stuck with a H60.  Anyone know which runs cooler overall?  8600K is Delided with Liquid metal.  I am thinking that may be a bit cooler. 

6 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Lots to think about here.  One last factor.  Cooling.   

The Office PC will be able to use a Noctua DH15S or 240 AIO.   

The Living room machine is stuck with a H60.  Anyone know which runs cooler overall?  8600K is Delided with Liquid metal.  I am thinking that may be a bit cooler. 

Even delidded with liquid metal, you still have an overclocked Intel chip, if I were you I’d give it the best cooking you have available