Can I make a steam cache server?

So im currently hosting a teamspeak 3, csgo and minecraft server on my old HP 8200 compaq. That works fine. But is it possible to also make a steam cache server on the same server - on windows ?

If not on windows, do you think the 2cores is enough for a VM linux server? 

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

This guide uses Linux, but they also mention a Docker version, which should run on Windows: Building a local Steam caching server to ease the bandwidth blues. The Linux version primarily seems to use Nginx which is also available on Windows, so it should be doable.

If not on windows, do you think the 2cores is enough for a VR linux server?

You mean VM, not VR, right? A cache server shouldn't use that much CPU, mostly bandwidth (HDD/SSD and network), so it should be fine. The guide uses Docker, which is technically more lightweight than a VM. This is only true on Windows Server 2016 as far as I know, because it actually runs inside a Linux VM on Windows 10, which doesn't support it natively, like Linux would.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

59 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

This guide uses Linux, but they also mention a Docker version, which should run on Windows: Building a local Steam caching server to ease the bandwidth blues. The Linux version primarily seems to use Nginx which is also available on Windows, so it should be doable.

You mean VM, not VR, right? A cache server shouldn't use that much CPU, mostly bandwidth (HDD/SSD and network), so it should be fine. The guide uses Docker, which is technically more lightweight than a VM. This is only true on Windows Server 2016 as far as I know, because it actually runs inside a Linux VM on Windows 10, which doesn't support it natively, like Linux would.

A VM yes, misspelled :D So it becomes a vm inside a vm ? Im running windows 10 pro 64bit on my "server-pc"

Holy shit that seemd complicated :S

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

3 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

A VM yes, misspelled :D So it becomes a vm inside a vm ? Im running windows 10 pro 64bit on my "server-pc"

Holy shit that seemd complicated :S

No, a Docker container inside a VM. A Docker container is similar to a VM but more lightweight. If you only need a single one using a VM directly is probably the better option. It would make more sense on Linux or Server 2016 because the container would be running natively instead of spinning up a Linux VM to run it :D

I haven't really looked at the Ars article in too much detail, but it looks like the caching server is simply using Nginx. That is also available for Windows, so you should be able to set up the whole thing on Windows directly. I don't think there's anything in the setup that mandates Linux as an OS. The article even mentions that it should work on Windows. It looks like you also need a DNS server which I'm not sure is available on Windows non-server, but you could probably get away with running just that one part as a Docker image.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

This is the up to date software you want https://github.com/lancachenet/monolithic

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, T0MMEN said:

That is for linux?

The suggested way is to use docker, which is linux only(it runs in a vm if its not on linux)

You can compile your own, but no reason to.

Also how much speed do you want? I run one of these caching servers, and they can get pretty resource hungry if you want full gig speeds.