Can you get a job at the age of 14

Ironbru

I want a new PC (currently on AMD A4) but now where near enough money. At 14, is there any where I can work ? (UK)

In the USA the best you can do at 14 is mow a lawn or two. When you become 15 in the US you can start getting employed. 

Things I do:

Upgrade Computers

Build Computers

Disassemble Computers

My System:

MSI GS65 Stealth

CPU - Intel Core i7-8750H

Memory - 16GB DDR4

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Storage - 512 GB SSD

Operating System - Windows 10 Home

Headset - Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+

In Canada, it depends on the job as long you have consent of parent or guardian.

23 hours ago, Ironbru said:

I want a new PC (currently on AMD A4) but now where near enough money. At 14, is there any where I can work ? (UK)

You can get a part time job in the UK from 14, but it's limited to I think 16hrs a week, and no more than 3hrs a few times during the week and the bulk of it on weekends. The pay is appalling too.  But it's a great way to earn some extra money... and pays much better than a paper round.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

7 hours ago, greenmax said:

However they define "Light" work LOLOL WTF LOLOLOL

"You coughing up blood yet?" "No" "Then you're still doing light work". 

lol

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If physical slavery is not your thing, you can always try to earn some online, blogging doesn't work out 4 everyone...ever heard about cryptocurrency? There are tons of faucet websites giving tiny amounts away for simply spending time on the website and proving you are not a robot, if you are efficient and claim multiple at same time it can add up, cryptocurrency value also tends to go up over time.

Some games have collectible items that you can exchange for real money... Some people pay other people to play 4 their team in certain events (4 example in superstar racing game)...

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

"You coughing up blood yet?" "No" "Then you're still doing light work". 

lol

People dont know how to break a sweat

Pussification of nations.

Paper cuts and 100K+ debt are whats being nabbed up

If your not of legal age to get a proper job if you know anyone who owns a local business talk to them.

I started working at a feed and seed store when i was 12. School bus dropped me off everyday. $5 an hour under the table (pretty good for 2002).

I don't know the laws in the UK but you can try to apply to a Starbucks, shopping center, or a local business.

If you can't work in those places because the law says so, then you can try to mow the lawn of neighbors, walk their dogs, or look after their pets while the owners go to dinner or something.

8 hours ago, Syaoran said:

I don't know the laws in the UK but you can try to apply to a Starbucks, shopping center, or a local business.

If you can't work in those places because the law says so, then you can try to mow the lawn of neighbors, walk their dogs, or look after their pets while the owners go to dinner or something.

Starbucks is like the worst place you can work! They treat people like slaves and pay them minimum wage. The food industry is just soul crushing. With a retail job you won't be working nearly as hard. 

I personally find it very strange how basic laborer construction jobs are a fair bit less physical and tiresome than a lot of retail/food industry jobs. All you have to do is stand around most of the time and help out a little. The machines do all of the hard work. And the salary is higher than most of these retail/food industry jobs. Just stay hydrated and don't forget to wear shades and apply sunscreen. You don't wanna look like a dried grape when you're 35. 

I would personally go babysit, mow lawns and do that. Having a regular minimum wage job can be soul crushing, especially at a young age. You can work something like 30 hours for just a few hundred bucks. I dunno, it doesn't seem "worth it". But then again, you're probably housed and fed so your expenses are null. 

Also, being young and inexperienced really sucks when you start working. Employers will readily abuse you, and ask you things you should normally refuse. Finding the right job with a reasonable boss is an absolute ordeal that can take a decade of suffering. Heck, I had to leave my country to find better working conditions with my skill set. And I wasn't in a third world country, I lived in Canada. That said, I started working when the Canadian economy was at its lowest of lows. Maybe the outlook on life and work is more positive now? I can't tell you for sure. 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:35 AM, Ironbru said:

Apprenticeships start at 14 in the EU right? 

(Plz hold the brexit jokes.) 

4 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Starbucks is like the worst place you can work! They treat people like slaves and pay them minimum wage. The food industry is just soul crushing. With a retail job you won't be working nearly as hard. 

I personally find it very strange how basic laborer construction jobs are a fair bit less physical and tiresome than a lot of retail/food industry jobs. All you have to do is stand around most of the time and help out a little. The machines do all of the hard work. And the salary is higher than most of these retail/food industry jobs. Just stay hydrated and don't forget to wear shades and apply sunscreen. You don't wanna look like a dried grape when you're 35. 

I would personally go babysit, mow lawns and do that. Having a regular minimum wage job can be soul crushing, especially at a young age. You can work something like 30 hours for just a few hundred bucks. I dunno, it doesn't seem "worth it". But then again, you're probably housed and fed so your expenses are null. 

Also, being young and inexperienced really sucks when you start working. Employers will readily abuse you, and ask you things you should normally refuse. Finding the right job with a reasonable boss is an absolute ordeal that can take a decade of suffering. Heck, I had to leave my country to find better working conditions with my skill set. And I wasn't in a third world country, I lived in Canada. That said, I started working when the Canadian economy was at its lowest of lows. Maybe the outlook on life and work is more positive now? I can't tell you for sure. 

You like the word soul crushing don't you.

I actually think it is good for young kids to work a minimum wage job in an industry like food service or retail. It gives them motivation to put in the work to do better in their life. Might be the difference between someone deciding to go to college or learn a trade.

So you call it soul crushing, but I consider it character building. I think the world would be a better place if everyone had to experience that. Then we wouldn't have the 1% and politicians making decisions that hurt those people. We wouldn't have people out there saying "well if they don't want to make minimum wage they need to work harder." 

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You like the word soul crushing don't you.

I actually think it is good for young kids to work a minimum wage job in an industry like food service or retail. It gives them motivation to put in the work to do better in their life. Might be the difference between someone deciding to go to college or learn a trade.

So you call it soul crushing, but I consider it character building. I think the world would be a better place if everyone had to experience that. Then we wouldn't have the 1% and politicians making decisions that hurt those people. We wouldn't have people out there saying "well if they don't want to make minimum wage they need to work harder." 

The issue I have with these minimum wage jobs is that they don't have much to offer in terms of upwards mobility. You get paid the same lowly salary if you work hard or not. The tasks you do aren't very technical or rewarding. Maybe you'll become a manager one day... and that's it. Perhaps working in retail can allow you to get hired at a call center which would allow you to work for a bank or the government. So there's that. But food industry jobs? meh! meh! meh!

Construction jobs are a different story. But you have to be older. You can move up in construction from laborer to foreman. And starting early is better than going into debt to get a useless University degree. That builds character and teaches valuable skills. Same could be said about the military I guess. Further, working in construction will inspire you to pick up a useful trade. 

I think that my message is to pick up jobs most people wouldn't think to do, either because it's physical or weirdly specialized and technical. There are too many people on this planet with business and engineering degrees. And not enough people who can operate an HVAC or locate buried facilities. Why you may ask? Because the education system is outdated and molds students into engineers and doctors in a completely outdated fashion. 

59 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

they don't have much to offer

Its only good for resume building. The smart ones use it as a stepping stone, the rest of the others its the highest they will get, Service Industry, meaning labor restaraunts, coffee shops, bar tender, waitress, shelf stocker.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The issue I have with these minimum wage jobs is that they don't have much to offer in terms of upwards mobility. You get paid the same lowly salary if you work hard or not. The tasks you do aren't very technical or rewarding. Maybe you'll become a manager one day... and that's it. Perhaps working in retail can allow you to get hired at a call center which would allow you to work for a bank or the government. So there's that. But food industry jobs? meh! meh! meh!

Again though we are talking about a job for a minor. They don't need upward mobility or a high salary. What they need is a chance to see what the workforce is like. It helps them learn responsibility, how to follow directions, how to lead, improve their soft skills, etc. It isn't meant to be something they turn in to a career. 

Also as much as you dislike food industry jobs someone has to do it. It is much better for it to be our youth than someone who has a family to support. So I think you just have to look at these jobs for what they are. They aren't really intended to be a long term thing.