My GTX 980 Ti is dying - I need a replacement

Doktor_KlingeL

As I mentioned in my title I need a replacement for my current graphics card. I would like to play in 2560x1440p and 165Hz (with G Sync would be ideal) in high to ultra quality if possible.

As of late I need to overvolt and/or underclock the graphics card to funktion properly but now even with that there are now BSODs when starting a game.

Can someone please suggest an resonable priced graphics card for that mentioned replacement or should I wait till my current one dies completely?

I mean I could wait a little while, it is not like the card is failing all the time.

I could have a budget of around 1000 bucks but I would have to wait till next month :(. But I dont think buying such a expansive graphics card would benefit my system or am I wrong?

Right now it would be a little bit over 700 Euro what I can smack on the counter at the shop.

System:
Windows 10 64 bit

CPU: i7- 8700k

RAM: GSKILL 2x8 GB DDR4 2133Mhz (Dual Channel)

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980TI FTW

PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 650 W

Monitor: ROG SWIFT PG279Q

11 minutes ago, Doktor_KlingeL said:

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980TI FTW

The title confused me because a 960 Ti doesn't exist

As of late I need to overvolt and/or underclock the graphics card to funktion properly but now even with that there are now BSODs when starting a game.

Can someone please suggest an resonable priced graphics card for that mentioned replacement or should I wait till my current one dies completely?

Are you sure it's the graphics card that's dying? usually they don't cause BSODs but rather artifacts or just straight up won't display anything.

I could have a budget of around 1000 bucks but I would have to wait till next month :(. But I dont think buying such a expansive graphics card would benefit my system or am I wrong?

Would definitely benefit your system since you have an 8700K, I would suggest a 2070 Super or a 2080 Super or if you could figure out what the problem is then you could wait till 2H for the RTX 3000 series to release.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

For 1440p gaming the RTX 2070 super and the 5700xt are the two best options from both teams in terms of price/performance at this point in time.

52 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

The title confused me because a 960 Ti doesn't exist

Sorry that was a typo. Fixed it. Thanks^^

52 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Are you sure it's the graphics card that's dying? usually they don't cause BSODs but rather artifacts or just straight up won't display anything.

Well I have no other graphics card to double check. But I did everything I could to solve that problem. Here is the link to the forum thread regarding exact that problem. So I can only assume that the problem is the graphics card:

44 minutes ago, Founders said:

For 1440p gaming the RTX 2070 super and the 5700xt are the two best options from both teams in terms of price/performance at this point in time.

If my current graphics card fails completely before the new gen is released than I suppose will buy the RTX 2070 Super

12 minutes ago, Doktor_KlingeL said:

Well I have no other graphics card to double check. But I did everything I could to solve that problem. Here is the link to the forum thread regarding exact that problem. So I can only assume that the problem is the graphics card:

A solid color does imply a VRAM issue but it's strange that it only happens with some games, I'm more inclined to think it's a driver issue, very odd..

Have you tried DDU and rolling back to an old driver? might be an issue with the current one

4 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

Have you tried DDU and rolling back to an old driver? might be an issue with the current one

Yep I followed the instructions and DDUed the drivers and downloaded them directly from the nvidia page and installed them again. Sadly that did not work. Until now there were only the solid colors but Windows did not crash, now I get the BSOD sometimes after starting a game or when playing it a little while.

48 minutes ago, Doktor_KlingeL said:

Yep I followed the instructions and DDUed the drivers and downloaded them directly from the nvidia page and installed them again. Sadly that did not work. Until now there were only the solid colors but Windows did not crash, now I get the BSOD sometimes after starting a game or when playing it a little while.

I know you've done DDU but have you tried an older driver? try a driver that you know was good, as an example a driver that was released back in june 2019 or something.

PSU

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

21 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

I know you've done DDU but have you tried an older driver? try a driver that you know was good, as an example a driver that was released back in june 2019 or something.

Oh sorry I forgot to write it. Yes I installed multiple older drivers I know they worked before too after DDUing (2 or 3 from September and one from October). But it did not work. I got the same issue.

20 minutes ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

PSU

Hmm, could be but would the computer not just shut off immediately if the PSU failed? And I am not talking about BSODs or such but about hardcore *PLOP* everything is black scenario.

5 minutes ago, Doktor_KlingeL said:

Oh sorry I forgot to write it. Yes I installed multiple older drivers I know they worked before too after DDUing (2 or 3 from September and one from October). But it did not work. I got the same issue.

Hmm, could be but would the computer not just shut off immediately if the PSU failed? And I am not talking about BSODs or such but about hardcore *PLOP* everything is black scenario.

Could just be the 12v line not giving good power when the GPU needs it.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

9 minutes ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

PSU *should* be good given that it's gold standard, no? 

Just now, Stockholmes said:

PSU *should* be good given that it's gold standard, no? 

Based on what?

Just now, cesh me inside b0z said:

Based on what?

Based on the standard. I know shit about PSU's, but that's what I would have assumed.

Just now, Stockholmes said:

Based on the standard. I know shit about PSU's, but that's what I would have assumed.

You mean an 80 Plus rating? or some other standard?

80 Plus rating is just if it is efficient, not if it is quality, though being fair it should be decent if it can grab an 80 Plus Silver or above rating.

1 minute ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

You mean an 80 Plus rating? or some other standard?

80 Plus rating is just if it is efficient, not if it is quality, though being fair it should be decent if it can grab an 80 Plus Silver or above rating.

No the "Gold" part. There are different tiers there, no? I think we're getting a bit off-topic here.

20 hours ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

It probably is a stupid question, but the PSU I have has 2 PCIE connectors (well where I can plug the cable with the double 8 pin connectors into). As of now I am using the PCIE1 connector on the PSU. Should I switch to the second one? Would that make a difference?

On 1/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, Doktor_KlingeL said:

2560x1440p and 165Hz (with G Sync would be ideal) in high to ultra quality if possible

2080TI still dips below the 165fps on ultra.  If you're okay with a target lower, say 120 or 144, you could get a 2070 super.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"