[Early 2020] Ultimate Gaming Build Around $2000.

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I didn't say you had to get an expensive case. The one you chose has an acrylic side panel which will scratch a lot easier than TG. It is a decent case for a mid range build, but for something higher end like this you should get something better. Also when your cpu cooler costs more than your case then you are doing something wrong.

Also I don't even mess with cases that don't include a PSU shroud. Call me picky.

You don't need 32GB Ram, but it is pretty cheap at the moment. There are cheaper kits if you don't want RGB.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB Phantom Gaming Edition 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming Video Card  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($429.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2523.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 19:03 EST-0500

Oh like this this one! @trevb0t And it's $2600 with monitor ! Man, I'm open to any SSD. I'm a photographer, check it here hehehe :

http://www.ingredientsphoto.com

And I'm suing for many years WD products and just used to them, but I think I need to switch it to Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive in this build.

4 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

Oh like this this one! @trevb0t And it's $2600 with monitor ! Man, I'm open to any SSD. I'm a photographer, check it here hehehe :

http://www.ingredientsphoto.com

And I'm suing for many years WD products and just used to them, but I think I need to switch it to Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive in this build.

860 Evo is a very reliable SSD. It's SATA, so it's slower than say a 970 Evo Plus, but it's already expensive enough for SATA speeds. 

The speed difference won't effect gaming, but could effect long render times in content creation. I'd be amazed if your photo editing renders take long periods of time.

Any high grade NVMe would be a solid idea.

Ok, got it. Thanks. I was also thinking between LG 27GL850 27" vs ASUS TUF VG27AQ 27". But after checking I will go with ASUS then.

1 minute ago, Dotiki said:

Ok, got it. Thanks. I was also thinking between LG 27GL850 27" vs ASUS TUF VG27AQ 27". But after checking I will go with ASUS then.

They have the same on paper stats. So.. Your choice!

Just now, trevb0t said:

They have the same on paper stats. So.. Your choice!

Yep, I couldn't find the winner. And checked this .... hehehe

31 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

Ok I'm absolutely lost now. ? Soe people saying it's nice ... some people saying don't spend that much go with 2080 ... you don't need Ti ... etc. It's impossible ?

It’s complicated alright:  A lot of it is about trying to predict the future.

A really long winded complicated explanation of what I know of what is going on:

The issue is after midrange, which is a full $1200 below what you want to be spending returns on investment diminishes fast.   You pay a lot of money for only a little more performance.  Part of the problem is both the CPU market and the GPU market are artificial.  Both of them are dualopolies.  The result is it’s not how much power they can produce it’s how much money can they get out of you.  

What are the parts of the build that matter for gaming performance most? GPU followed by CPU.  A PSU has to be powerful enough to power the equipment and reliable enough not to kill the equipment.  A motherboard has to be able to power the equipment up to a level it can achieve (I may have failed with that z390 pick there). memory has an effect too.  The CPU and GPU companies compete at price level not performance.  They’re artificial markets.  The differences are minor.  Intel can make chips that have high single clock but they use a lot of power doing it and they have an upper limit on the number of cores they can ad based on their tech.  AMD can’t make cores that are as fast but they can put in more of them.  Pricing isn’t random, but it also has very little to do with actual production cost.  A 3700x probably costs more than a 3600x to produce, but not $100 more.  Probably more like $5. The question becomes what do you need?  This is where upcoming console stuff enters the picture.  There is an argument for 8/16 over 6/12 or 8/8 that is entirely about future console games that haven’t happened yet.  

What do you need RIGHT NOW? right now all that is required is to beat a current gen console.  For CPU Fast 4/8 or fast 6/6.  It’s a bit hard to tell which performs better atm. So a 2600 with some overclocking, or a 3600, or a 9400f.  All of them will bury the most powerful cards available in current games.  That’s only right now though.  Because the consoles are coming.  The consoles are slow 8/16. Basically the same chip as the old consoles but with multithreading. What if anything will be Locke out? No one knows.  People are betting 2 cores though so the 3600 is the bang/buck leader.  The OLD consoles were slow 8/8 with two cores locked out making them slow 6/6. Pretty much all current games were designed to run on a 6/6 console, which is why fast 4/8 and fast 6/6 can run things fast.  

GPUs:

Bang/buck the midrange cards beat the high end cards. A 5600 or 5700 vs a 2060 or 2070. They price out about the same.  They can do 1440p gaming, now.  After that the returns start to diminish pretty fast.  A 5700xt is as fast as a 1080.  For $100 more than the difference between it and the next lowest AMD card. 30% more money, 20% more performance.  The 5700xt is amd’s current fastest card though so after that point nvidia can charge whatever they think people will pay.  2080ti is the fastest thing that exists more or less. (There are titans of course but they offer tiny benefit for giant cost increases)

The hard one atm is the consoles are hiding their level of GPU power.  It’s black box.  People have gotten tiny glimpses and have been able to do some rough estimates.  Current  estimates place the new consoles somewhere between an rx580 on the low end, and a 2070S on the high end.  So the questions with GPUs and consoles are “will AMDs version of hardware ray tracing be good for anything?” and “how fast is the Jaguar2 GPU?” If the chip is slow AND the ray tracing isn’t needed a 580 will match it.  Low end.  If the chip is fast BUT ray tracing is still pointless a 5700xt will match it.  If the chip is fast AND the ray tracing is useful AND rtx can be used instead of AMD hardware ray tracing a 2700s will match it. If the chip is fast AND the ray tracing is useful AND rtx isn’t compatible enough to be good for anything ray tracing will have to be done in software.  This eats a LOT of power.  The biggest baddest thing that currently exists  are Nvidia titans which cost ridiculous amounts of money and are barely faster than a 2080ti. Which still costs over twice what a 5700xt costs, for only about 20-30% more performance.

At the current level of released technology (stuff you are allowed to buy) the fastest single core chip with 16 threads is the 9900ks.  You can’t quite afford one. I tried. A 9900k is close though.  It’s $100 more than a 3700x which also has 16 threads but it’s single core is a bit  higher.  It also isn’t as good at making use of fast memory though, so while a 9900k doesn’t have the performance boost of the fast memory you also don’t have to pay for it.  A poor trade but better than none at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

I didn't mention anything about msata so not sure what your point is there. If you are populating the M.2 slot then why waste it on a regular SATA SSD ? The WD Blue SN550 is $10 cheaper, or there is the Sabrent Rocket Q for the same price. Both of these are faster.

The 9900K is a lot more expensive than a 3700X for little gain especially at 1440p. Only reason to go Intel is if you need the iGPU or you want the max highest framerate at 1080p 240Hz. For gaming at 1440p/4K then no point.

I didn't say you had to get an expensive case. The one you chose has an acrylic side panel which will scratch a lot easier than TG. It is a decent case for a mid range build, but for something higher end like this you should get something better. Also when your cpu cooler costs more than your case then you are doing something wrong.

The psu is a budget lower end model. It isn't meant for a 9900K and 2080 ti. 

Who mentioned getting a 3600 or 3000g ? I am referring to a 3700X when I say Ryzen is better value. What is this 9700x you speak of ? I assume you mean 9700K ? In which case the 3700X has more threads.

What matters is the port which defines how fast it can talk to the motherboard, and the speed of the chips that make up the drive, which define how fast the drive can actually go.  By saying that thing is sata you are saying it’s the wrong kind of port.  There are two ways of defining whether a port is sata or nvme.  One is “sata or nvme” and the other is b key (sata) or mkey (nvme) If it’s not nvme, you’re right.  My only issue with the rocket is it’s so fast it can actually bury nmve3 it actually gets a bit into nvme4.  Not very far.  Just a little.  Currently nvme isn’t needed for games. The files are too small for the speed difference to matter.  This may (but has not yet) change. (So predicting the future)

If that board can’t handle the draw of a middling my overclocked 9900k it’s the wrong board.  If that m.2 card has no nvme connection it’s the wrong m.2. I thought it had both.  While it has sata, it also has nvme.  I may  have been wrong about that. Z370 has fewer pcie lanes. I picked them hastily and I don’t pay a lot of attention to VRM requirements for z390.  The board seemed “middling” and it was popular so I assumed it had the VRM to do it.  You are saying this is incorrect.  You may very well be right.

So possible bad board, possible bad m.2. I said all this already.  Get over it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What matters is the port which defines how fast it can talk to the motherboard, and the speed of the chips that make up the drive, which define how fast the drive can actually go.  By saying that thing is sata you are saying it’s the wrong kind of port.  There are two ways of defining whether a port is sata or nvme.  One is “sata or nvme” and the other is b key (sata) or mkey (nvme) If it’s not nvme, you’re right.  My only issue with the rocket is it’s so fast it can actually bury nmve3 it actually gets a bit into nvme4.  Not very far.  Just a little.  Currently nvme isn’t needed for games. The files are too small for the speed difference to matter.  This may (but has not yet) change. (So predicting the future)

If that board can’t handle the draw of a middling my overclocked 9900k it’s the wrong board.  If that m.2 card has no nvme connection it’s the wrong m.2. I thought it had both.  While it has sata, it also has nvme.  I may  have been wrong about that. Z370 has fewer pcie lanes. I picked them hastily and I don’t pay a lot of attention to VRM requirements for z390.  The board seemed “middling” and it was popular so I assumed it had the VRM to do it.  You are saying this is incorrect.  You may very well be right.

So possible bad board, possible bad m.2. I said all this already.  Get over it.

The port is irrelevant. It is the SSD that determines how fast it is. So an M.2 SATA SSD is no faster than a 2.5" SSD. An M.2 NVMe SSD uses the same 'port' as the M.2 SATA SSD but it uses pcie lanes instead. 

Also no idea why you think the Sabrent Rocket can bury Gen 3. No it can't. A pcie 3.0 x4 gives you around 1000MB/s per lane, so a x4 would be around 4000MB/s. Only way a Sabrent Rocket or any other fast Gen 3 would saturate it is if you put it on a pcie 3.0 x2 or pcie 2.0 x 4 slot.

You are correct that NVMe doesn't make much difference, but if it is cheaper than the SATA version then why would you not buy it ?

The board isn't bad, it just isn't good enough for a 9900K. And at that price point you can get the Gigabyte Z390 UD. Not ideal for a 9900K but better than the MSI. 

There is also nothing wrong with the WD Blue you selected, but at that price it isn't worth it over the NVMe version.

Thank you guys, it's very interesting to read both of your arguments and suggestions. I appreciate the time you sacrificing to this thread. @Bombastinator @lee32uk

56 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The port is irrelevant. It is the SSD that determines how fast it is. So an M.2 SATA SSD is no faster than a 2.5" SSD. An M.2 NVMe SSD uses the same 'port' as the M.2 SATA SSD but it uses pcie lanes instead. 

Also no idea why you think the Sabrent Rocket can bury Gen 3. No it can't. A pcie 3.0 x4 gives you around 1000MB/s per lane, so a x4 would be around 4000MB/s. Only way a Sabrent Rocket or any other fast Gen 3 would saturate it is if you put it on a pcie 3.0 x2 or pcie 2.0 x 4 slot.

You are correct that NVMe doesn't make much difference, but if it is cheaper than the SATA version then why would you not buy it ?

The board isn't bad, it just isn't good enough for a 9900K. And at that price point you can get the Gigabyte Z390 UD. Not ideal for a 9900K but better than the MSI. 

There is also nothing wrong with the WD Blue you selected, but at that price it isn't worth it over the NVMe version.

Re: general statements about SSDs and ports:

Port is not relevant depending on what you are doing.  For gaming arguably yes.  That does not mean that the speed of the drive chips are the only determinant though

.  Sata6 is multipl times slower than nvme.  Nvme is faster to a larger degree over sata6 than sata6 is over sata 3. A mechanical HD for example is incredibly slow compared to sata6.  It can connect to sata6 but it doesn’t saturate it.  Am mechanical HD can’t even saturate sata3.  An SSD can.  It can saturate sata6 a chap lowball ssd can saturate sata6.  That’s why No one cares about 2.5” SSD quality anymore.  A good one and a cheap one are thes same speed because they can both saturate the port.  Nvme is faster.  It takes a really good SSD like a rocket to saturate nvme3.0. Most SSDs can’t.  It can be done though.  SSD quality only matters currently for m.2, and even then it doesn’t matter for gaming because the files are too small to notice the time difference.

re: sabient rocket can’t bury pcie 3.0

I was told it could.  Might be false I suppose.  Let’s check:  seeing sustained writ of sabient rocket listed as 5000mb/s on the sabient site. That’s the 4.0 version.  Clearly the 3.0 version wouldn’t be capable.

re: the board

Ill take your word for that one.  I’ve never looked into the requirements of z390 VRM.  

er WD blue:  

was that the SSD? It’s nvme or it’s not.  There’s an argument for nothing but one big 2.5” SATA6 SSD.  buy nvme if it’s needed and use the SSD for storage if that happens.  Almost went with that.  Probably should have.  It would have saved typing.

6 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Ok I'm absolutely lost now. ? Soe people saying it's nice ... some people saying don't spend that much go with 2080 ... you don't need Ti ... etc. It's impossible ?

I understand why you were lost there :) Bombastinator was just saying that this build is not about saving money to have ALMOST the same results but to to have the best possible performance for your money. What he means is: stick with i9900K - it's more expensive but it's better if you are happy to spend it. I agree.

3 minutes ago, Greg6669 UK said:

I understand why you were lost there :) Bombastinator was just saying that this build is not about saving money to have ALMOST the same results but to to have the best possible performance for your money. What he means is: stick with i9900K - it's more expensive but it's better if you are happy to spend it. I agree.

That was... much more succinct.

2 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Ok guys, so considering all your help. Here is what I have at the end. I need your approval. ?

Nooo... I also follow your post as I'm building an RTX2080TI at the same time. If I were you, I would go back to i9 9900K. It is more expensive but also faster for gaming. Like you said, you want to keep this build for 4+ years, like me. So, in a few years time, when you play the newest game with 60+ FPS instead of 40+ with AMD, you will be grateful you went with i9. True, AMD is better value for money but it's good for people who don't mind swapping cards every 2 years, but from what I read, you're not one of them, so if you have a little extra money go with intel and it will last for longer.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: general statements about SSDs and ports:

Port is not relevant depending on what you are doing.  For gaming arguably yes.  That does not mean that the speed of the drive chips are the only determinant though

.  Sata6 is multipl times slower than nvme.  Nvme is faster to a larger degree over sata6 than sata6 is over sata 3. A mechanical HD for example is incredibly slow compared to sata6.  It can connect to sata6 but it doesn’t saturate it.  Am mechanical HD can’t even saturate sata3.  An SSD can.  It can saturate sata6 a chap lowball ssd can saturate sata6.  That’s why No one cares about 2.5” SSD quality anymore.  A good one and a cheap one are thes same speed because they can both saturate the port.  Nvme is faster.  It takes a really good SSD like a rocket to saturate nvme3.0. Most SSDs can’t.  It can be done though.  SSD quality only matters currently for m.2, and even then it doesn’t matter for gaming because the files are too small to notice the time difference.

re: sabient rocket can’t bury pcie 3.0

I was told it could.  Might be false I suppose.  Let’s check:  seeing sustained writ of sabient rocket listed as 5000mb/s on the sabient site. That’s the 4.0 version.  Clearly the 3.0 version wouldn’t be capable.

re: the board

Ill take your word for that one.  I’ve never looked into the requirements of z390 VRM.  

er WD blue:  

was that the SSD? It’s nvme or it’s not.  There’s an argument for nothing but one big 2.5” SATA6 SSD.  buy nvme if it’s needed and use the SSD for storage if that happens.  Almost went with that.  Probably should have.  It would have saved typing.

What ?

Why are you talking about hard drive speeds ? It is obvious that a hard drive is slower than an SSD, but guess what ? On Ryzen you have StoreMI. You can Google it if you want to know what it is.

You do realise that the WD Blue that is in your build is the same as the 2.5" version ? So no idea why you think that no one cares about 2.5" quality. It is the same drive but just with a different way of connecting it. Have you ever thought that an M.2 slot is wasted on a SATA SSD ? Because it is if you can get an NVMe one for less.

The Sabrent one mentioned in this thread is the Sabrent Q Gen 3 version. That has speeds of 3200/2000. Not sure why you are quoting the Gen 4 version which has nothing to do with the topic as it wasn't even mentioned. So no, the Sabrent Q will not 'Bury' or 'saturate' the 'port'. 

And I will say it again as you clearly didn't read it the 1st time. The NVMe WD Blue is cheaper than the SATA version, so why would you take the SATA version ?

You can go and watch buildzoid on youtube if you want to know about the Gigabyte Z390 boards. No need to take my word on it.

The WD Blue SN550 is NVMe. The one in your spec is the regular SATA version.

9 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Not a fan of the SSD just because Samsung are expensive compared to other alternatives like the Adata SX8200 Pro, Sabrent Rocket/Q or Hp EX920/50 etc. I assume you don't want a WD NVMe drive ?

The rest looks fine.

What ?

Why are you talking about hard drive speeds ? It is obvious that a hard drive is slower than an SSD, but guess what ? On Ryzen you have StoreMI. You can Google it if you want to know what it is. I

You do realise that the WD Blue that is in your build is the same as the 2.5" version ? So no idea why you think that no one cares about 2.5" quality. It is the same drive but just with a different way of connecting it. Have you ever thought that an M.2 slot is wasted on a SATA SSD ? Because it is if you can get an NVMe one for less.

The Sabrent one mentioned in this thread is the Sabrent Q Gen 3 version. That has speeds of 3200/2000. Not sure why you are quoting the Gen 4 version which has nothing to do with the topic as it wasn't even mentioned. So no, the Sabrent Q will not 'Bury' or 'saturate' the 'port'. 

And I will say it again as you clearly didn't read it the 1st time. The NVMe WD Blue is cheaper than the SATA version, so why would you take the SATA version ?

You can go and watch buildzoid on youtube if you want to know about the Gigabyte Z390 boards. No need to take my word on it.

The WD Blue SN550 is NVMe. The one in your spec is the regular SATA version.

Re: HDs it’s a useful example because it a slow drive plugged into a faster port.  Quality of HD didn’t matter for a while either because a faster HD could saturate IDE.  An SSD can saturate SATA6 the same way. Nvme3.0 can only be saturated by very fast SSDs and nvme4.0 can’t be saturated at all.

re: WD blue. Still about the m.2 choice. Probably going to go back to the mobo again for the third time too.  Yes I DO realize that!  Exactly yes.  The nvme connection is faster than sata6.  The drive can saturate sata6, but CANT saturate nvme.  That’s the whole point of the earlier thing.  I thought the WD blue had BOTH Nvme and sata6 so it could do whatever the board happened to have.  Seems i may be wrong. Which has now been stated for the fourth time.  It seems I get this point but you don’t. Or you just like to continuously repeat it, or something.  There’s m key which is nvme only, there is b key which is sata only, and there is b&m key which is both.  I saw mkey, possibly erroneously.  If the drive has mkey it will do nvme whether it also has sata or not.  You seem to be saying it is sata only and does not have mkey at all.  This is possible.  At that point though what is more important is it wouldn’t fit into the motherboard at all to begin with.  I was apparently betrayed by pcpartpicker auto compatibility.  It showed a drive that wouldn’t fit in the mobo, unless the mobo also has b&m key slots.  Which I didn’t look for because I looked at the z390 board barely at all.

re: buildzoid. Yes I’m sure I could.  Or any of a dozen other places possibly.  The internet can be very repetitive that way. The point is I DONT want to.  I’m willing to accept that you did though.

8 hours ago, Greg6669 UK said:

Nooo... I also follow your post as I'm building an RTX2080TI at the same time. If I were you, I would go back to i9 9900K. It is more expensive but also faster for gaming. Like you said, you want to keep this build for 4+ years, like me. So, in a few years time, when you play the newest game with 60+ FPS instead of 40+ with AMD, you will be grateful you went with i9. True, AMD is better value for money but it's good for people who don't mind swapping cards every 2 years, but from what I read, you're not one of them, so if you have a little extra money go with intel and it will last for longer.

Hmmmm .... so better to go with Intel Core i7-9700K. 
Check this it's a very nice video:

58 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

Hmmmm .... so better to go with Intel Core i7-9700K. 
Check this it's a very nice video:

Depends on definition of “better” The 9700k is 8/8.  It will be mostly as fast as a 9900k 8/16 until it runs out of threads.  This likely won’t happen to any great extent until the new consoles come out whereupon it might start to happen.  The “eat with both hands” aspect of hyperthreading does give the 9900k a bit of speed out of the gate. Not a ton but a little.  So the 9900k is a whiff of a bit faster now at the cost of heat and dollars that advantage may  (or may not) significantly increase in a bit under a year.

To hem and haw some more:

the video talks about “gaming” vs “streaming”. The thing is the video is somewhat old.  Critically before data on new consoles was released.  gaming is starting to take on some of the aspects of what he referred to as streaming.

Edited by Bombastinator
Hem and haw

Thank you again guys. Then we have two options... 

Intel: ($165 more expensive)

AMD:

P.S: Yes, I did see Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Elite / Ultra etc. Many people like them better than ASUS motherbords. But ..... omg .... who do fok designed their eagle logo. ? I just can't ....