Bottleneck?

Hello, I'm currently using i5 6600(non k) with RX 480 and after 2 years I'm thinking about upgrading my gpu. Had a lot to choose from and I'm thinking about the GTX 1080. Other choice was GTX 1070, but here in my country the price difference between these used GPU's is pretty small, only about 45USD. One of the most troubling thing about upgrading was the CPU bottleneck. I've read a lot of forums about this and similar duos and opinions are very different. Some say it doesn't bottleneck at all, some, that it's even worse after upgrading to higher end GPU like 1080, doesn't matter if the game they are playing is more GPU or CPU demanding. And btw, I don't really have money to upgrade GPU and CPU at the same time. So my questions are, what's your opinion about this duo and is it worth upgrading into this GPU? I would like to play in stable 1080p 60hz, but if it would work I'd like to push the resolution up to 1440p.

Going up to 1440p might actually be the better choice here, as it would move more of the load towards the GPU. How much the 6600 will bottleneck the 1080 though will also depend heavily on what games you play.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If you upgrade your GPU, your performance is obviously only going to get better. The extent to which your CPU will be able to cope and keep up with your GPU you cannot really be sure, however an i5 6600 be able to keep up with most modern games whilst running your 1080.

My old gaming PC was running the i5-6600k with a gtx 970 and I could run modern games at medium-high 99% of the time, and the K version of this i5 is only a marginal improvement.

To put it simply, you should be fine to upgrade your GPU, but you won't feel the full benefit until you upgrade your CPU too. You will be able to run 1080p and maybe 1440p, but just tone down the CPU heavy aspects a little to compensate for the lacking of power there.

Best of luck

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Going up to 1440p might actually be the better choice here, as it would move more of the load towards the GPU. How much the 6600 will bottleneck the 1080 though will also depend heavily on what games you play.

Mainly playing AAA singleplayers like The Witcher 3, Borderlands 3, RDR2, etc.

2 minutes ago, Moz-LJP said:

If you upgrade your GPU, your performance is obviously only going to get better. The extent to which your CPU will be able to cope and keep up with your GPU you cannot really be sure, however an i5 6600 be able to keep up with most modern games whilst running your 1080.

My old gaming PC was running the i5-6600k with a gtx 970 and I could run modern games at medium-high 99% of the time, and the K version of this i5 is only a marginal improvement.

To put it simply, you should be fine to upgrade your GPU, but you won't feel the full benefit until you upgrade your CPU too. You will be able to run 1080p and maybe 1440p, but just tone down the CPU heavy aspects a little to compensate for the lacking of power there.

Best of luck

In the following year, if I'll choose to upgrade, would 6700 or 7700 be good options, or you do have something else in mind?

1 minute ago, KarolisLTS said:

In the following year, if I'll choose to upgrade, would 6700 or 7700 be good options, or you do have something else in mind?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07598VZR8?tag=userbenchmark-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Go for the 8700k, only slightly more expensive but overall a much more powerful CPU

26 minutes ago, KarolisLTS said:

Mainly playing AAA singleplayers like The Witcher 3, Borderlands 3, RDR2, etc.

You should be good in TW3, as that's an older title that I doubt will use more than 4 cores, RDR2 will be worse however, you'll probably have to tinker a little with the settings.

22 minutes ago, Moz-LJP said:

Go for the 8700k, only slightly more expensive but overall a much more powerful CPU

While the 8700K is definitely a lot better than a 6700K/7700K, it would also require a new motherboard, so there's some extra cost there as well.

26 minutes ago, KarolisLTS said:

If you can find a good deal for a used 6700, that'd give you a fairly significant boost in CPU intensive games and should be good for the next couple of years. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Your CPU will be in the way on some more CPU demanding games...like modern open world stuff for example.

But it's still worth upgrading your graphics card you'll ba able to render higher settings while also getting much better performance. Upgrade your graphics card first...then i'd say move to 1440p monitor as your next upgrade, and then after that CPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Your CPU will be in the way on some more CPU demanding games...like modern open world stuff for example.

But it's still worth upgrading your graphics card you'll ba able to render higher settings while also getting much better performance. Upgrade your graphics card first...then i'd say move to 1440p monitor as your next upgrade, and then after that CPU.

Btw, I'm using 8gb(2x4) of ram, should I upgrade those to 16gb in the near future (for example with CPU) or it's enough for now?

8 minutes ago, KarolisLTS said:

Btw, I'm using 8gb(2x4) of ram, should I upgrade those to 16gb in the near future (for example with CPU) or it's enough for now?

should be enough for most games if you don't run too much extra stuff along with it...

it could be a good idea to get more RAM, you could use it with your new motherboard and CPU later...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR