Question about my Logitech z906 5.1

alexfegan321

I have the 5.1 logitech z906 system 

I normally have this connected to my pc with the green, pink and black cables and it sounds epic. but my pc is at another house.

My question is, how come it works pretty decent with just the green cable into my ipad? I mean it only enables 5 of the speakers but it still works, sounds decent and subwoofer is enabled.

Can someone help explain these 3 cables and then recommend a decent adapter for when i do want to connect it to something else other than my pc into the motherboard lol 

1 cable just gives you stereo (left and right channel).
But the Logitech system has built in detection and if it just sees stereo it will automaticly fill it to the rest of the speakers. (a sort of fake surround).

If you connect them with 3 cables you have your front left and right your back left and right en the last one is centre and subwoofer.
But the subwoofer wont work cus it uses the data from the stereo channel to make its own subwoofer sound. (Why you choose always full rang when setting it up in windows)
And when there needs to be sound from the back or centre the computer will send it to the right channel directly.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

But the Logitech system has built in detection and if it just sees stereo it will automaticly fill it to the rest of the speakers. (a sort of fake surround).

If you connect them with 3 cables you have your front left and right your back left and right en the last one is centre and subwoofer.
But the subwoofer wont work cus it uses the data from the stereo channel to make its own subwoofer sound. (Why you choose always full rang when setting it up in windows)
And when there needs to be sound from the back or centre the computer will send it to the right channel directly.

Thanks bro, I agree, it is like two main ones are working, and the other two get fake sound, and one is off, but I mean for short notice and one cable, 2 speakers and bass is more than enough for this new eminem album lol. thankyou 

1 minute ago, alexfegan321 said:

Thanks bro, I agree, it is like two main ones are working, and the other two get fake sound, and one is off, but I mean for short notice and one cable, 2 speakers and bass is more than enough for this new eminem album lol. thankyou 

Yup, Logitech does now how to make them work with lots of stuff. ?
Enjoy your most likely booming sound.

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Yup, Logitech does now how to make them work with lots of stuff. ?
Enjoy your most likely booming sound.

Youd be surprised lol, only thing that seems off is the choice in how loud it makes the words to sub ratio, sub itself doesnt sound much different? more like instruments but im not an audio guy as you can tell lol 

• 2 years later...
On 1/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, HanZie82 said:

Sorry  to digging up old thread.
Enable full rang in settings apply for all sound system which ever use the 3cable or just specific for z906?
Coz i searched about it & suggest only for if the satellite speaker have their own bass system.

It is common for a subwoofer to take a common 2 channel stereo signal and use a LPF or low pass frequency cross over to extract only the frequencies required for the subwoofer.  For all extents and purposes a dedicated sub channel is not required, that is considering that your stereo signal is full range and not set to a small speaker subset.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

24 minutes ago, Sagor said:

Sorry  to digging up old thread.
Enable full rang in settings apply for all sound system which ever use the 3cable or just specific for z906?
Coz i searched about it & suggest only for if the satellite speaker have their own bass system.

Small satellite speakers should not be set to full range when configuring them for surround sound in Windows

1 minute ago, ShearMe said:

Small satellite speakers should not be set to full range when configuring them for surround sound in Windows

z906 speaker is also small, doesn't it?

8 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Not with most Logitech surround sets.
By choosing the small speakers you let Windows do the cross-over for the subwoofer.

Thats not how it works with those Logitech products!

They just use the main left right channel and take the lower frequencies from there and send it to the sub.

The actual sub-channel will not be used. (Probably so they can have a working subwoofer with only stereo signal).

On 2/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, HanZie82 said:

Not with most Logitech surround sets.
By choosing the small speakers you let Windows do the cross-over for the subwoofer.

Thats not how it works with those Logitech products!

They just use the main left right channel and take the lower frequencies from there and send it to the sub.

The actual sub-channel will not be used. (Probably so they can have a working subwoofer with only stereo signal).

With the unit I had back in the day there was a mixer setting to pump a stereo signal through everything, but turning it off you'd still want the windows center/sub channel configured properly. Do newer units do this differently?

12 hours ago, ShearMe said:

With the unit I had back in the day there was a mixer setting to pump a stereo signal through everything, but turning it off you'd still want the windows center/sub channel configured properly. Do newer units do this differently?

I have the Ancient Z5500 (picture below).

On that i have a setting to take 3x stereo or 1x surround.

Since on PC i'm using 1x surround, and i could just disconnect my center/sub cable and still the sub would work.

Since Windows is absolutely awful with sound management, its a good thing, when you play anything from your browser its stereo anyways and would mean with lesser systems you have no subwoofer sound.

Thats why many use aftermarket sound-cards that have a crossover setting available.

I know the Realtek onboard cards will NOT let you do that.

I don't know about newer setups, but i know most surround stuff from Logitech does it this way. Even the cheaper ones.

550x398.jpg