Can't get a proper boost from my 3900x?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, SaHaRzZz said:

it was cinebench r20 too.

Every monitoring software shows different values I don't know what to believe anymore ><
I activated the docp profile in the BIOS and it got me to 7008 pts, which is about 80 pts higher.

I also found this thread:

and followed the 'Best Answered' and it reduced my voltage on idle, well according to HWMonitor..
CPU-Z  still says 1.5V - 1.526V, sometimes spikes to 1.199V, I don't even know anymore haha probably 'sleeping/parking' cores or something

idling at about 56-63 degrees, it moves a lot
seems a bit high for me but I guess that's what it is for 12 cores?

Just to confirm, am I good? ><

Info - 

Ryzen 3000 series processors have a throttle point of 95c. Your 84c, has a little headroom left.

Want to run IF and memory clocks linked as high as possible. 3800mhz is a goal. In most cases IF won't do 2000mhz, so need to unlink at this frequency. 

Tweaking SenseMi technology to your particular rig takes time. Not so cut and dry as manual overclocking is. There's quite a few settings to play with "boosting" clocks if you will, again, takes time to tweak it all. 

Are you good? Well yea aside from running a Gen 1 board with a Gen 3 cpu.... I think you're doing fine.

The cooler you run that Ryzen Cpu the better because it will sustain boost clocks for a longer duration. My Ryzen chip is default all core boost of 4ghz, 4350mhz single core boosts. If it runs hot enough, the all core boost will throttle to 3.9ghz and I usually see this once I hit 85-90c as this is where my throttle point is.

High temp cpu alarm is at 70c. At this temp, the stock fan profile will put the fan to 100%. This says something doesn't it? Why did AMD boost clocks and voltages past this temp from stock?? Well, to eek out every last ounce of performance leaving absolutely no headroom for manual overclocking.

Hi, this is my first Ryzen chip and I'm used to intel OCing so..

I'm just about to lose it haha, ive been tinkering and trying all sorts of values in my BIOS in order to somehow tame this CPU,

My MB is the ROG x370 crosshair vi hero, my CPU is the R9 3900X

My issue is that I can't seem to get boosts(I'm testing with cinebench r20) beyond 4000mhz, I am using offset voltage because there is something weird with using manual in this MB for some reason..

my values are never what I set them, they have like this imaginary offset, like, my DRAM voltage should be 1.35V for my 3600mhz cl16 kit, but I have to set it to 1.27V in order for it to be 1.35V, idk why, it happends with almost every other setting, including SOC voltage and some other ones.

As for the CPU core voltage, it's just weird, whenever I set it to manual and 1.4X / 1.3X / 1.2X or really anything, it never sets itself to it, I go to the Ryzen Master software and it shows as 1.1V and it boosts for like 2.5mhz or something stupid, offset is the only way for it to work properly if I don't set a specific clock for all cores(which I don't want to).

I am right now with -0.5V offset and stable, I noticed that everytime I apply less voltage to my chip I get better boosts (weird as hell) and my thermals aren't that different, always around 80ish when benchmarking and around 50~ when idle, when I'm at -1.0V offset or more, I noticed that the OS crashes whenever i'm idling for too long, but if I stay with prime95 open it holds well.

it's hard lol, i'm struggling alot with this, my goal is to get the 'stock experience' and not to be behind everyone else

I have attached a quick print screen of CPU-Z and Ryzen Master,
I am also confused of why the Ryzen Master shows these kinds of clocks and then CPU-Z shows X42.25

image.thumb.png.652afac39c86d4b69f35d0b844c8ca0b.png

2 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

if I don't set a specific clock for all cores(which I don't want to)....

not to be behind everyone else

That's how you will be behind everyone else because you locked away its ability to boost single core scores. You should adjust PBO while watching the voltage by not letting it go past 1.35V on all cores (and even that is considered too high for someone, they recommend 1.3V for all core workloads)

I myself use only the BIOS method though, so can't talk about Ryzen Master. You do have to clear CMOS before you can tune through the BIOS, as Ryzen Master overrides the BIOS's settings (its settings are saved under "AMD Overclocking" in the bios)

Lower voltage is not always better

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

My MB is the ROG x370 crosshair vi hero, my CPU is the R9 3900X

I'd clear CMOS and update the BIOS if it isn't on the latest version. Might help with some issues.

Also, calm down on that undervolting. -0.5V is far too much. A more realistic scenario is about -0.2V at most.

Those CCX clocks of 4850MHz are not going to happen. Don't know why they're there.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

That's how you will be behind everyone else because you locked away its ability to boost single core scores. You should adjust PBO while watching the voltage by not letting it go past 1.35V on all cores (and even that is considered too high for someone, they recommend 1.3V for all core workloads)

I myself use only the BIOS method though, so can't talk about Ryzen Master. You do have to clear CMOS before you can tune through the BIOS, as Ryzen Master overrides the BIOS's settings (its settings are saved under "AMD Overclocking" in the bios)

Lower voltage is not always better

I was overclocking through the BIOS, the Ryzen Master was only for checking the temp + clocks + voltage

Used CPU-Z to monitor voltage sometimes as well.
And by locking the cores to a specific value I meant I didn't want to do it and so manual tweaking of the voltage isn't an option, as it's just lowering my performance for some reason no matter what voltage I set it to.

I saw that video but i'll go through it again, maybe I missed something?

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'd clear CMOS and update the BIOS if it isn't on the latest version. Might help with some issues.

Also, calm down on that undervolting. -0.5V is far too much. A more realistic scenario is about -0.2V at most.

Those CCX clocks of 4850MHz are not going to happen. Don't know why they're there.

BIOS is updated to the latest version as of 2 days ago,
my MB boots my CPU at 1.5V and 1.45V for the ram as default settings and that's why I set this aggressive undervolt, I really don't know that my MB is thinking, but it's just going nuts with the voltage, also getting 1.875 for the 1.8 PLL voltage and weird things like that.

And yeah I know that the 4850 is not going to happened lol, whenever I enabled PBO for increasing my maximum current it also gives me these optimistic values.

If you guys want, I can clear cmos and boot as it is, you'll see these ridiculous values, it's worse than what jay2cents showed in his 3900x performance enhancing/overclock guide

27 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

my MB boots my CPU at 1.5V and 1.45V for the ram as default settings and that's why I set this aggressive undervolt

That CPU voltage is entirely normal for Zen 2. You should see it go down under load. It's best if you don't play with it too much.

1.45V is fine for RAM. The scary point is somewhere up nearer to 1.6V for 24/7 IIRC. I think that RAM voltage could be a board thing too. Just make sure you're either using a fully manual setup or DOCP profile.

I think some of the issues might be X370/board related. Would a X570 board make it better? Perhaps, I can only guess.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Take LLC off of auto. This is why your voltages are higher than input. 

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That CPU voltage is entirely normal for Zen 2. You should see it go down under load. It's best if you don't play with it too much.

1.45V is fine for RAM. The scary point is somewhere up nearer to 1.6V for 24/7 IIRC. I think that RAM voltage could be a board thing too. Just make sure you're either using a fully manual setup or DOCP profile.

I think some of the issues might be X370/board related. Would a X570 board make it better? Perhaps, I can only guess.

Is 1.5V really OK?
I just finished watching this by jay2cents:

and it describes my issues perfectly actually, besides that CPU error.

and I thought about it.. maybe it is related to my board.
I'm sorry but I'm kind of stressing out right now, it's been 2 days of booting to BIOS and changing values and watching every video I can about tinkering with voltage and the 3900x

my top cinebench score is around 6950~ :/ did I lose the silicon lottery with my chip?

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Take LLC off of auto. This is why your voltages are higher than input. 

I set it manually to level 1, tried 2 and 3 and 4 and all it did was just make thermals worse and the cpu to clock lower because of that

Remove Ryzen master fully. Be sure to set defaults in RM before uninstalling it.

Shut the board down and clear cmos for at least 10 seconds. Longer if you count fast.

Post it up stock and see if it runs normal.

1 minute ago, SaHaRzZz said:

Is 1.5V really OK?

Yes. Since there was so much confusion over it AMD engineers on Reddit confirmed it. 1.5V is what you'll see with idle/single thread load. It'll taper down under multi-thread load. Perfectly normal behaviour for Zen 2.

I've experienced the same behaviour on my 3950X.

and I thought about it.. maybe it is related to my board.

I think it might be. I'm not 100% though. From what I've seen with Zen 1 and Zen + there voltage behaviour was a bit different. Although I didn't use them first hand and have only seen them on forums + YouTube. Maybe the X370 boards are better suited for those processors.

my top cinebench score is around 6950~ :/ did I lose the silicon lottery with my chip?

That's what a 3900X scores when it's at 4350(ish)MHz. So it's alright.

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yes. Since there was so much confusion over it AMD engineers on Reddit confirmed it. 1.5V is what you'll see with idle/single thread load. It'll taper down under multi-thread load. Perfectly normal behaviour for Zen 2.

I've experienced the same behaviour on my 3950X.

I think it might be. I'm not 100% though. From what I've seen with Zen 1 and Zen + there voltage behaviour was a bit different. Although I didn't use them first hand and have only seen them on forums + YouTube. Maybe the X370 boards are better suited for those processors.

That's what a 3900X scores when it's at 4350(ish)MHz. So it's alright.

at 4350mhz it should get around 7400-7600 from the benchmarks I saw shouldn't it?
I've tested with 0 program running in the background besides ryzen master and sometimes cpu-z

as for the 1.5V, coming from an Intel user that terrifying haha

13 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Remove Ryzen master fully. Be sure to set defaults in RM before uninstalling it.

Shut the board down and clear cmos for at least 10 seconds. Longer if you count fast.

Post it up stock and see if it runs normal.

I did that, posted completely stock with these values:

idling at 1.46V - 1.526V according to CPU-Z

testing with cinebench r20:
boosting to 4000mhz at 1.352V according to CPU-Z
Thermals are at 84 according to cinebench

I am using the X62 kraken mounted on top to cool the cpu

my score was 6912, the last one was 6955 but I guess it's kinda the same, but the ram is at 2133 cl15 instead of of 3600 cl16
um.. I should probably activate the docp profile?

at 4350mhz it should get around 7400-7600 from the benchmarks I saw shouldn't it?

That depends on what benchmarks you're looking at. I'm basing mine off what would be daily OC results (even though that result is from HWBOT). So that's a RAM overclock that isn't anything too extreme and running the benchmark without tweaks or performance bias settings.

23 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That depends on what benchmarks you're looking at. I'm basing mine off what would be daily OC results (even though that result is from HWBOT). So that's a RAM overclock that isn't anything too extreme and running the benchmark without tweaks or performance bias settings.

Every monitoring software shows different values I don't know what to believe anymore ><
I activated the docp profile in the BIOS and it got me to 7008 pts, which is about 80 pts higher.

and followed the 'Best Answered' and it reduced my voltage on idle, well according to HWMonitor..
CPU-Z  still says 1.5V - 1.526V, sometimes spikes to 1.199V, I don't even know anymore haha probably 'sleeping/parking' cores or something

1 hour ago, SaHaRzZz said:

Info - 

Ryzen 3000 series processors have a throttle point of 95c. Your 84c, has a little headroom left.

Want to run IF and memory clocks linked as high as possible. 3800mhz is a goal. In most cases IF won't do 2000mhz, so need to unlink at this frequency. 

Tweaking SenseMi technology to your particular rig takes time. Not so cut and dry as manual overclocking is. There's quite a few settings to play with "boosting" clocks if you will, again, takes time to tweak it all. 

Are you good? Well yea aside from running a Gen 1 board with a Gen 3 cpu.... I think you're doing fine.

The cooler you run that Ryzen Cpu the better because it will sustain boost clocks for a longer duration. My Ryzen chip is default all core boost of 4ghz, 4350mhz single core boosts. If it runs hot enough, the all core boost will throttle to 3.9ghz and I usually see this once I hit 85-90c as this is where my throttle point is.

High temp cpu alarm is at 70c. At this temp, the stock fan profile will put the fan to 100%. This says something doesn't it? Why did AMD boost clocks and voltages past this temp from stock?? Well, to eek out every last ounce of performance leaving absolutely no headroom for manual overclocking.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Info - 

I got a great deal for the parts and that's why I took the gen1 board with the gen3 cpu,
i'll OC my ram to 3800 cl16 and the IF to 1900 or at least try to, with the dram calculator ^^

Thank you very much!
you and @DildorTheDecent have helped me a lot ! :)

3 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

I got a great deal for the parts and that's why I took the gen1 board with the gen3 cpu,
i'll OC my ram to 3800 cl16 and the IF to 1900 or at least try to, with the dram calculator ^^

Thank you very much!
you and @DildorTheDecent have helped me a lot ! :)

If you actively cool the memory sticks (direct fan on them) you can run the v-mem voltage higher than 1.35v. 

Intel states 1.5v is a maximum safeness. I run mine at 1.6v (I do not suggest this for people, that's just what I do)

So at 3800mhz, try increments past 1.35v to either get it to post, or stability. You likely won't need more than 1.410v v-mem.

I'm curious what memory you have. 

Open this up, and show us what exactly you are running.

(pulled from my sig)

thphn160.zip

29 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you actively cool the memory sticks (direct fan on them) you can run the v-mem voltage higher than 1.35v. 

Intel states 1.5v is a maximum safeness. I run mine at 1.6v (I do not suggest this for people, that's just what I do)

So at 3800mhz, try increments past 1.35v to either get it to post, or stability. You likely won't need more than 1.410v v-mem.

I'm curious what memory you have. 

Open this up, and show us what exactly you are running.

(pulled from my sig)

thphn160.zip 1.72 MB · 0 downloads

The kit is in the name, as well as all the information about it.
by far it's awesome, I've left the voltage at default and it's at about 1.43 at the moment, maybe I'll change it idk if I should tbh.
The sticks are at about 43c, I think it's alright ^^ will run memtest86 later to be sure of that tho

G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZKK.html

Have you update your AMD driver? Which includes the Windows power plan for Ryzen that reduces the voltage use when idle.