Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FinnishArmy

Get Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 on Windows 10?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there!

I have a Vizio 70" 4k which supports both, HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

After testing both HDR10 (through Windows 10) and Dolby Vision (Through the TV App), I find that Dolby Vision on Netflix looks 10times better.

• Colours are not washed out on Dolby Vision like they are in HDR10
  • Dolby Vision is also much brighter than HDR10.

I have my PC hooked up to a Dolby Atmos (not to confuse with Vision) receiver which I use to watch Netflix and other movies through my computer. I don't have an easy way to hook up my TV to the receiver unless I get optical (which only supports 7.1 and not bitstream). Anyway...

Is there anyway to get Dolby Vision working on Windows 10 through the Netflix app? I pay for the top tier so UHD works for me.

I've tried downloading the Dolby Vision app which only gives me a slider which supposedly turns Dolby Vision on. And that kind of works, when it's switched to on, the Netflix app shows "Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos", but my TV is only running in HDR10 and when I try to load up any movie/tv show it just crashes the app until I either turn off HDR10 (which also turns off Dolby Vision) or just turn off Dolby Vision through their Dolby Vision app.

Anyone have any success with Dolby Vision through their PC?

Im not sure how to get that working on the pc front, but in regards to Netflix at least, is there a reason you can not use the built in app for your tv assuming it has one?

On 1/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, FinnishArmy said:
  • Colours are not washed out on Dolby Vision like they are in HDR10
  • Dolby Vision is also much brighter than HDR10.

You're doing something wrong there, that's not supposed to happen.

The only real meaningful difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is... too technical to talk about. Basically you can present dark scenes with less banding, more effective bits to work with.

It's unlikely Windows will support Dolby Vision because it'll mess up the desktop. A much simpler solution is to just run the screen in 12-bit.