How limited would I be with just 6GB of RAM?

My computer, now pimped out with an i3-3220, Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, and an MWE 400W power supply which cost me altogether RM320+ or around $78 in Freedom Dollars can finally run games at 60 FPS. That's fantastic and all. but the fact that I have only 4GB of RAM is really pushing the limit for some of the games I play. Insurgency alone takes up about 2GB of RAM. Together with Steam and other software like MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner, RAM usage gets to about 90%. Other games, like CS:GO crash when attempting to join a game all whilst it utilities close to 3GB of RAM. Given all that, I intend on adding more RAM to my system. I have found a deal online for an 8GB Kingston DDR3 4x2 kit for a cheap price, around RM67 including shipping by a private seller (that's about $16.40). However, I'm really hesitant to spend that much given how much I already HAVE spent on my CPU, GPU and PSU. So instead I'm thinking of buying a single stick from the seller. That would give me in total 6GB of RAM, and I wanted to know how limiting that would be. I know people argue that 8GB is the minimum, but I'm not going to be running any modern AAA titles and editing any 4K footage. Just pretty casual games, internet browsing and watching movies.

Well more RAM is always better but if it's too expensive then only get as much RAM as you can afford. 6GB is always better than 4GB.

You signatures states that you have :  RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2x4GB @1333 

So is it 4 or 8? 2x4=8 not 4.

6GB is always better than 4GB.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

11 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

You signatures states that you have :  RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2x4GB @1333 

So is it 4 or 8? 2x4=8 not 4.

6GB is always better than 4GB.

That's what I was going to get. 

2x same size is recommended due to utilizing dual-channel access - especially with relatively slow memory. Also, a dual-kit doesn't cost 2x of the single stick, doesn't it? It's is a little bit cheaper per stick.

I assume you have only 2 sockets in total, so your best bet would really be to get the 2x4gb. Your cpu is able to make use of ddr3 1600 as well so faster memory would also add to your gaming-experience, but look for the timings as well.

Does your mainboard allow ecc-registered ram? They're often cheaper than its non-registered counterparts.

4 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

That's what I was going to get. 

Oh, got it then. You will be fine with 6, don't worry about it, for the games you can play on that setup 6GB of ram is enough, not ideal but enough. 

Edited by noxdeouroboros

You are very bound with that RAM

Windows theme self use 4GB to run. 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

15 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

16$ is really cheap for 8gb kit, if you can't afford that i wonder how you pay your bills and even basic things in life such as food and stuff. Here i thought 70$ was cheap for 16gb kit i got two weeks back.

It's almost as if  different currencies have different values and aren't universal.

16 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

I still feel 16$ is nothing signicant no matter what currency or country you're talking about

Where do you live? USA? Minimum wage in Malaysia is 294,51$, so 16$ is not that little when you think about it.

7 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

Didn't i mention my currency which suggest where i live? And why does it matter? Anyway, i can't expect someone to be serious with computers if they can't spend 16$ for an upgrade and he probably pays more than that for his internet connection monthly.

Oh, got it then, it does not matter I was curious. You statement sounded very American :D Well, look at his setup, or take a look at his profile, in which he states that he works for less than minimum wage, which in Malaysia is 294,51$. I value my money, 10 bucks or 100. You sound like a child who never worked. I get where you are coming from, but 16$ can be a lot for some people.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

1 minute ago, WikiForce said:

Yeah, everyone wants me to work and make a living by myself but i am too lazy and unmotivated to do anything productive. I am a grown up adult now so it's not something i'm proud of.

All your statements makes sense now. When you will earn your money you will value it much more.

3 hours ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

My computer, now pimped out with an i3-3220, Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, and an MWE 400W power supply which cost me altogether RM320+ or around $78 in Freedom Dollars can finally run games at 60 FPS. That's fantastic and all. but the fact that I have only 4GB of RAM is really pushing the limit for some of the games I play. Insurgency alone takes up about 2GB of RAM. Together with Steam and other software like MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner, RAM usage gets to about 90%. Other games, like CS:GO crash when attempting to join a game all whilst it utilities close to 3GB of RAM. Given all that, I intend on adding more RAM to my system. I have found a deal online for an 8GB Kingston DDR3 4x2 kit for a cheap price, around RM67 including shipping by a private seller (that's about $16.40). However, I'm really hesitant to spend that much given how much I already HAVE spent on my CPU, GPU and PSU. So instead I'm thinking of buying a single stick from the seller. That would give me in total 6GB of RAM, and I wanted to know how limiting that would be. I know people argue that 8GB is the minimum, but I'm not going to be running any modern AAA titles and editing any 4K footage. Just pretty casual games, internet browsing and watching movies.

Just dont use Chrome and you should be fine. LOL

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Just dont use Chrome and you should be fine. LOL

Funny but accurate :D

15 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

2x same size is recommended due to utilizing dual-channel access - especially with relatively slow memory. Also, a dual-kit doesn't cost 2x of the single stick, doesn't it? It's is a little bit cheaper per stick.

I assume you have only 2 sockets in total, so your best bet would really be to get the 2x4gb. Your cpu is able to make use of ddr3 1600 as well so faster memory would also add to your gaming-experience, but look for the timings as well.

Does your mainboard allow ecc-registered ram? They're often cheaper than its non-registered counterparts.

That doesn't apply to DDR3, or rather to the CPU architectures that run DDR3.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't apply to DDR3, or rather to the CPU architectures that run DDR3.

Generally speaking, you're almost correct  - unless there's some chinaboard-hack that does make it work. And it has nothing to do with whether it's ddr3 or not; you can get systems for ecc-registered all down to sdram.

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Generally speaking, you're almost correct  - unless there's some chinaboard-hack that does make it work. And it has nothing to do with whether it's ddr3 or not; you can get systems for ecc-registered all down to sdram.

That's why I said "or rather". Because I knew someone was going to come in here and pretend I think this is about the RAM type. 9_9

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440