Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

Should You Make Your Own VPN?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Linus explores the world of creating your own VPN, with the help of an open source project called Pritunl.

Rent a VPS for this project from Vultr (affiliate link): https://lmg.gg/cO2Wd

Forum Tutorial:  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1140511-diy-vpn-pritunl-setup-tutorial/

widget.png?style=banner2

Gaming Rig3900X, 32GB 3600MHz TridentZ, ROG 2080 Ti, 2*4TB Black, 1TB MP600

NAS: E5-2670v3, 48GB ECC, 76TB of HDD's: 3*4TB + 2*8TB + 4*12TB, 500GB 850 Evo Cache

Ummm....I created a VPN on my home server so I can dial into it from work and visit this website undetected...seriously I set it up for giggles.  It's free to do if you use OpenVPN.

TL;DR, if your reasoning constantly shouts "ARRRRR MATEY", no. 

Any other reason, go for it! :D 

I joke I joke. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-Sleep (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 6x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I think the first use case should also come with an asterisk: If you enter your credit card information on a website that doesn't use HTTPS (with a valid certificate! Unlike the VPS that is set up in the video) on an unsecured Wi-Fi, think long and hard: Should you trust a website that doesn't use HTTPS with your private data?

If the website does use HTTPS (as it should), neither your ISP, nor the hacker can read your credit card information. The connection is already encrypted (between you and the website in question, i.e. end-to-end). A VPN offers virtually zero additional protection.

If the website does not use HTTPS it is very likely your personal information stored on that servers isn't encrypted either (can you say data breach?). And while the connection between you and the VPN server is encrypted, the connection between the VPN server and the website is not. So you've simply replaced your potentially snooping ISP with a potentially snooping VPN provider.

As far as I'm concerned, you should use Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) for the one use case they were invented for: To securely connect to a remote network as if the computer was part of that network (i.e. your home or company network). Agreed, circumventing region locks is a welcome side effect (provided VPNs aren't blocked).

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply