Will usb wire into DAC affect sound quality?

The Torrent
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The usb cable sends a series of 0s and 1s to the other end of the cable. No matter the quality of the cable, you'll still have 0s and 1s at the end.

If the cable is so bad that a bit becomes corrupted and changes state (0 to 1 or 1 to 0), that is detected and the packet of data is re-transmitted, so no losses occur.

Even if in some extreme case one packet of data gets corrupted and can't be decoded, we're talking about maybe 1 ms of audio being lost ... you practically wouldn't notice the "skip" or silence of 1ms .... but it would have to be a really really shitty cable...

So tldr no, any usb cable will do.

Quality of cables matters when you use devices that transfer data in the equivalent of UDP on internet (tcp is used for regular transfers, where you have error correction and re-transmission of corrupted data ... udp is like broadcast, where if there's something corrupted the data is not resent, the players that decode the broadcast must handle the losses gracefully) 

So for example a really high end usb capture card may send the 1080p or 4k footage to pc lossless in a high speed, no error correction, no retransmit mode for maximum throughput, in which case if you get some bits corrupted, some pixels in a frame will have different colors.

So my situation.

im using Audeze el-8 headphones. Usb c anker adapter turning usb from pc into lightning, which my cipher cable is plugged into.

due to needing to move my pc, the wire is too short.

so will buying a cheap, generic, Chinese wire affect sound quality at all?

now i understand if I’m getting a cheap wire after the sound has been converted from digital to analog on the DAC, but I mean before,

so the wire going from my computer itself into the dac/amp (cipher cable).

as that’s only carrying data, will getting a long cheap usbc to usbc extension make a noticeable difference in sound quality?

thanks

The usb cable sends a series of 0s and 1s to the other end of the cable. No matter the quality of the cable, you'll still have 0s and 1s at the end.

If the cable is so bad that a bit becomes corrupted and changes state (0 to 1 or 1 to 0), that is detected and the packet of data is re-transmitted, so no losses occur.

Even if in some extreme case one packet of data gets corrupted and can't be decoded, we're talking about maybe 1 ms of audio being lost ... you practically wouldn't notice the "skip" or silence of 1ms .... but it would have to be a really really shitty cable...

So tldr no, any usb cable will do.

Quality of cables matters when you use devices that transfer data in the equivalent of UDP on internet (tcp is used for regular transfers, where you have error correction and re-transmission of corrupted data ... udp is like broadcast, where if there's something corrupted the data is not resent, the players that decode the broadcast must handle the losses gracefully) 

So for example a really high end usb capture card may send the 1080p or 4k footage to pc lossless in a high speed, no error correction, no retransmit mode for maximum throughput, in which case if you get some bits corrupted, some pixels in a frame will have different colors.