Home security camera help

My wife has an off feeling about our sons current babysitter, but has nothing but a feeling to go off of. I travel for work so am not able to see my family much. I'm looking for a security camera system that I can set up in a couple rooms that has the ability to record, and be viewed in an app or web page. Our apartment is fairly small, so 2-4 cameras would work, but will be moving into a house in the next few months, so being able to add additional cameras is needed. In the apartment drilling holes isn't an option so wireless is definitely needed (obviously power won't be). I'm fairly comfortable around computers and assembling with some trouble shooting ability. I don't have a problem paying for better solutions, but don't want to drop thousands if a $500 solution that works just as well or better is available. 

5 minutes ago, Boeckel911 said:

and be viewed in an app or web page. Our apartment is fairly small, so 2-4 cameras would work, but will be moving into a house in the next few months, so being able to add additional cameras is needed. In the apartment drilling holes isn't an option so wireless is definitely needed (obviously power won't be).

do you want spy hole camera or a visible camera?

8 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

do you want spy hole camera or a visible camera?

If possible, both. 

48 minutes ago, Boeckel911 said:

My wife has an off feeling about our sons current babysitter, but has nothing but a feeling to go off of.

If your wife doesn't trust the babysitter, get a new wife babysitter. Trust is everything when it comes to babysitters. If you don't have someone you can trust then you need to find someone else.

If the babysitter is a danger to your child, is hurting your child, or is otherwise betraying your trust (ie. stealing from you while you are out of the house, etc) then a security camera will only help you after the fact. If something bad does happen cameras might make it easier to prove the babysitter was the perpetrator but your child would still be injured or your belongings will still be stolen.

Look for a new babysitter and explain to the current one that it isn't working out and you will be finding someone else. You may still want to consider cameras with the new babysitter regardless, but having cameras with a babysitter you don't trust is not a solution.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I've used both the Arlo and Nest cameras - I'm with Nest now in my use context, but yours sounds like a closer fit for the battery powered Arlo Pro stuff.

They're fairly discrete have app / website & should do what you need. I ran into issues with wireless network overlap (as it uses it's own base station rather than your wireless network for the battery cameras) but that might not be an issue for you in a less complicated environment (my Mesh wireless netowrks , sky Q, and some other stuff killed it sometimes). 

Nest stuff works better for me for the outdoor stuff, the facial / person recognition cuts down on false alerts.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

If your wife doesn't trust the babysitter, get a new wife babysitter.

This a thousand times ^^

My wife did not feel right about the help for the 2nd baby (we had a great click with the one for out first baby) and i just called the agency and got her replaced.

Funny thing is that it happens alot. There was 0 discussion, just an ok and next day there was another.

Trust is everything. Special for your kids

9 hours ago, Dujith said:

This a thousand times ^^

My wife did not feel right about the help for the 2nd baby (we had a great click with the one for out first baby) and i just called the agency and got her replaced.

Funny thing is that it happens alot. There was 0 discussion, just an ok and next day there was another.

Trust is everything. Special for your kids

17 hours ago, Spotty said:

If your wife doesn't trust the babysitter, get a new wife babysitter. Trust is everything when it comes to babysitters. If you don't have someone you can trust then you need to find someone else.

If the babysitter is a danger to your child, is hurting your child, or is otherwise betraying your trust (ie. stealing from you while you are out of the house, etc) then a security camera will only help you after the fact. If something bad does happen cameras might make it easier to prove the babysitter was the perpetrator but your child would still be injured or your belongings will still be stolen.

Look for a new babysitter and explain to the current one that it isn't working out and you will be finding someone else. You may still want to consider cameras with the new babysitter regardless, but having cameras with a babysitter you don't trust is not a solution.

If either of us suspected any abuse was going on, she would be gone without a second guess. My wife thinks that the babysitter might be spending most of her time playing on her phone, or just watching tv instead of playing with our son. We are looking into alternative babysitters, but with the shift being from 4pm to 1 am, its considerably more difficult to find a replacement. 

10 hours ago, ACV said:

I've used both the Arlo and Nest cameras - I'm with Nest now in my use context, but yours sounds like a closer fit for the battery powered Arlo Pro stuff.

They're fairly discrete have app / website & should do what you need. I ran into issues with wireless network overlap (as it uses it's own base station rather than your wireless network for the battery cameras) but that might not be an issue for you in a less complicated environment (my Mesh wireless netowrks , sky Q, and some other stuff killed it sometimes). 

Nest stuff works better for me for the outdoor stuff, the facial / person recognition cuts down on false alerts.

I am able to plug any camera into an outlet, so battery operated isn't necessary. Other than the internet overlaps, have you had any other issues with either set up? If you knew what you do now about both types, which would you buy?