How to set up wake on lan? (complete beginner)

1832vin

Hi, i've been trying to set up wake on lan, but have been stuck, every tutorial out there seems to only show that you should "insert your DNS address here" or "enter your public domani here" but i have no idea how to go around finding a DNS address.....

I'm trying to set up my computer so that when i'm at work, i can turn on my PC at home through the internet so i can use team viewer to set up rendering jobs. do i have to buy a domain for this to work?

so far, i've turned on wake on magic packet from device mangement, and turned on the setting in the bios, but then i'm stuck now.... Please Help!!

Thanks!

Well, so what computers are on your home network and what router are you using.

Since if you had googled it, you need a wake computer/component on your network to achieve this.

If this is already to much for you i'd say don't bother unless the stuff in Teamviewer is good enough for you (and works).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

To wake your computer you need to be able to send a "wake up" signal to it somehow. Since your computer is most likely behind a router, this means you need to either connect to your router (e.g. VPN) and then send that signal through that connection or forward the required port to your computer. This requires you to either know your public IP address or get some form of dynamic DNS.

https://www.howtogeek.com/192642/how-to-remotely-turn-on-your-pc-over-the-internet/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

the place where you work probably has a firewall that will probably block WoL packets. I dont think it will work across networks from a residential to coorporate network. you can still try it though. 

HowToGeek always has VERY usefull articles and tutorials. I suggest subscribing to their emails. They send one out everyday with sometimes usefull and sometimes not so usefull articles. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

To wake your computer you need to be able to send a "wake up" signal to it somehow. Since your computer is most likely behind a router, this means you need to either connect to your router (e.g. VPN) and then send that signal through that connection or forward the required port to your computer. This requires you to either know your public IP address or get some form of dynamic DNS.

https://www.howtogeek.com/192642/how-to-remotely-turn-on-your-pc-over-the-internet/

lmao we both posted a HTG link. 

13 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Well, so what computers are on your home network and what router are you using.

Since if you had googled it, you need a wake computer/component on your network to achieve this.

If this is already to much for you i'd say don't bother unless the stuff in Teamviewer is good enough for you (and works).

Thanks for replying, everyone.

well, i just need it to work, that is true, and i looked at the team viewer option, and was stuck at "public address" like, where do i get a public address from?

Just now, 1832vin said:

well, i just need it to work, that is true, and i looked at the team viewer option, and was stuck at "public address" like, where do i get a public address from?

When you connect to the Internet you automatically have a public IP address (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=what+is+my+ip).

This address can change dynamically, e.g. when you're on dial-up, which is why (dynamic) DNS is recommended, so you can connect to your home network, even if it's IP address changes over time.

1 minute ago, 1832vin said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTR859TR859&oq=what+is+my+ip+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j69i60l3.2631j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

17 minutes ago, Saksham said:

the place where you work probably has a firewall that will probably block WoL packets. I dont think it will work across networks from a residential to coorporate network. you can still try it though.

That's a good point. Even if your workplace doesn't explicitly block it, you may still be violating your employer's policies if you connect to a private system at home from a work computer. I would clarify that, to make sure you don't get into trouble. IT might see such a connection as an attempt to leak company data.

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

When you connect to the Internet you automatically have a public IP address (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=what+is+my+ip).

This address can change dynamically, e.g. when you're on dial-up, which is why (dynamic) DNS is recommended, so you can connect to your home network, even if it's IP address changes over time.

thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it, i've just looked it up it up, and i'll try it out! but so after i enter the DDNS stuff i created in the router, do i enter the DDNS address into team viewer like this?

image.thumb.png.64c4556b1dc1b71088e55f9876bc7679.png

just one question is that, my home is setted up such that the provider's router is used to change from phone line to ethernet, and then another router that plugs in to the provider's router so that there's enough signal around the house.

i know i'm just pluggin in the ethernet jack, but just wondering, if i want to plug into the secondary router for wake on lan, do i need to do port forwarding on both routers? or it is way more hassel than just drilling a hole in the ceiling?

Thanks!!

16 minutes ago, 1832vin said:

Yeah thats why i said you need a computer or component always on. As like said before the signal needs to be sent to the PC. And in my trials i found that when that packet originates from outside the network it wont even work.
So i'd really advise giving up on it, since i done that and i have 30 years experience with computers.
Its just to much of a hassle. And the powersavings the PC's have even when on are enough for me to just leave the machine running 24/7.

5 minutes ago, Saksham said:

what if you just didnt put the pc to sleep? left it on 24/7?

i don't really want to do that, cuz i'm anticipating to work overseas for a month, which is the reason i'm trying to set this WOL up

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's a good point. Even if your workplace doesn't explicitly block it, you may still be violating your employer's policies if you connect to a private system at home from a work computer. I would clarify that, to make sure you don't get into trouble. IT might see such a connection as an attempt to leak company data.

Thanks for the reminder, i'll be careful to clarify it first with the higher ups first,

thanks!

Just now, 1832vin said:

i don't really want to do that, cuz i'm anticipating to work overseas for a month, which is the reason i'm trying to set this WOL up

but if the pc is at work, and you are accessing it from another pc, why does this matter?

Well in that case you would need something so you have acces to your network all the time.
VPn or DDNS comes to mind.
Seeing you're trying DDNS i hope you put the software on your PC top update when your IP eventualy changes.
In that case it should work if you have the correct adres in the Teamviewer thing.

But even then its just a gamble if its actualy gonna work. (even on same network the WOL is very iffy i've noticed). Clearly not enough people care about this. Because support is really really bad.
So you might need someone able to have physical acces to the Pc you try to acces...

But if you succeeded please tell us how. :)

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

but if the pc is at work, and you are accessing it from another pc, why does this matter?

because laptops has no juice to do anything

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Well in that case you would need something so you have acces to your network all the time.
VPn or DDNS comes to mind.
Seeing you're trying DDNS i hope you put the software on your PC top update when your IP eventualy changes.
In that case it should work if you have the correct adres in the Teamviewer thing.

thanks for the reminder! whenever i come back to this forum i always really appreciate how this forum has such active helpful users.... compared to almost anything else

Thanks!

Just now, 1832vin said:

would it not just charge at work?

8 minutes ago, 1832vin said:

thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it, i've just looked it up it up, and i'll try it out! but so after i enter the DDNS stuff i created in the router, do i enter the DDNS address into team viewer like this?

Yes, that would be the basic idea behind DDNS. Your router updates the DDNS entry every time your public IP changes, so that when you connect to yolo.dyndns.com (or whatever) it'll point to your current IP.

3 minutes ago, 1832vin said:

thanks for the reminder! whenever i come back to this forum i always really appreciate how this forum has such active helpful users.... compared to almost anything else

Thanks!

No worries (wo)man, love to help (people that put in the effort themselves :D ).

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, that would be the basic idea behind DDNS. Your router updates the DDNS entry every time your public IP changes, so that when you connect to yolo.dyndns.com (or whatever) it'll point to your current IP.

Oh yes, and if you have this setup on the router you dont need and app also on the PC. The router will jsut update the IP adres for you.

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

would it not just charge at work?

I guess he meant CPU juice not battery juice. ;)

10 minutes ago, 1832vin said:

i know i'm just pluggin in the ethernet jack, but just wondering, if i want to plug into the secondary router for wake on lan, do i need to do port forwarding on both routers? or it is way more hassel than just drilling a hole in the ceiling?

Yes, that may complicate things a bit (you may be double-NATing).

Essentially you'd have to enable port forwarding from the first router to the second, so that when you connect to port X from the outside it's redirected to the second router. Your second router would then have to forward that port to your PC. If the second router just acts as a dumb bridge you should be able to connect from the first router directly to your PC.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, that may complicate things a bit (you may be double-NATing).

Essentially you'd have to enable port forwarding from the first router to the second, so that when you connect to port X from the outside it's redirected to the second router. Your second router would then have to forward that port to your PC. If the second router just acts as a dumb bridge you should be able to connect from the first router directly to your PC.

Thanks!

btw, "yolo free solo" is catchphrase of alex honnold from the movie free solo, climbing Yosemite without ropes, it's a really good movie!