An AC power adapter problem with a dell laptop??

Amir93

Hi guys, a friend of mine has dell laptop with the following specs:

- Core i3 3217u

- RAM 4GB

- Intel HD Graphics 4000

Maybe its an old one, but anyways, he has some problem and needs help for, everytime he turns on his laptop he's getting this message (Uploaded SS), he told me he's just pressing F1 everytime and go ahead.

I don't know about this problem, so any help please?

78142359_429694324331182_4804258243012460544_n.jpg

A few questions:

1. Does his laptop charge properly? I'm gonna assume yes, but just to make sure.

2. What kind of charger does he have for his laptop?

Just seems like the motherboard is confused rather than actually not wanting to take the charger. Just press F3 if everything outside of that screen seems right.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Well, first of all, sorry for late reply as i was in contact with my friend regarding his problem, but for now there's some new information:

On 12/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, handymanshandle said:

1. Does his laptop charge properly? I'm gonna assume yes, but just to make sure.

- He told me that his laptop at the current time is not charging properly, sometimes it charges, sometimes it says connected but not charging, so i think there's some problem here.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, handymanshandle said:

2. What kind of charger does he have for his laptop?

Personally for now, i don't know, but he told me, he bought his laptop since 5 years, totally new with its main stuff (charger and battery) from DELL, the battery is still alive till now and working so fine, but regarding the charger, he told me, he changed the adapter since 3 months (that part connected to the laptop hole, sorry if my english is a little bad) because the old one was cut off, he told me the new one was outside the warranty service, so i would assume its not from main DELL, then since 1 month he started getting this warning message, before getting the new adapter everything was fine, no warnings, the battery was charging properly and everything is totally ok.

For my perspective, i think the problem is with the new adapter he got, i don't know actually the kind of the new charger, so will answer you in later reply once he tells me, will also tell you the kind of old charger and battery.

I hope this info will be helpful, and sorry if my english was a little bad.

1 hour ago, Amir93 said:

For my perspective, i think the problem is with the new adapter he got, i don't know actually the kind of the new charger, so will answer you in later reply once he tells me, will also tell you the kind of old charger and battery

I'd say it probley is the charger if he didn't get the error message before that charger maybe it's less than the 60 watts needed for the laptop but it probably is the charger though

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Most likely whatever he did to the charging plug did not preserve the "sense" connection that the laptop and charger use to talk to each other to validate capabilities, or he replaced the chqarger with a shoddy 3rd party one that doesn't fully present itself as it should.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, Kilrah said:

Most likely whatever he did to the charging plug did not preserve the "sense" connection that the laptop and charger use to talk to each other to validate capabilities, or he replaced the chqarger with a shoddy 3rd party one that doesn't fully present itself as it should.

Well, sorry again if my replies are too late, as i'm making contacts with my friend, and i would say sorry again because he's a little idiot and don't know anything about his stuff, i got new information and here it is:

- He said that he didn't change the adapter itself but that cable connected to it (the one connected to laptop hole), i don't know how he did something like this, as my knowledge is saying both adapter and its cable are in one piece attached together.

He sent me this SS for the part he changed, because the old one was cut off, he did this outside warranty service by a general technician.

Additional Info: I asked my friend to remove the battery and check again, he said he didn't get the warning message, then told him to put the battery again, he said there's no warning message but the battery is not charging properly as i described above.

So should he buy a new charger?? from main DELL.

79966089_2652734518125112_5149774506411163648_n.jpg

Probably the best solution at this point if he can't fix it properly or find someone to do so.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Probably the best solution at this point if he can't fix it properly or find someone to do so.

Yeah you are right and i personally agree, as changing the cable needs a professional technician to specify the most suitable one, so buying a new charger from the warranty service will not be a bad idea, its really the ideal one.