Ryzen 3 2200G supposed temperature

Lotrbee

Hi there,

I wanted to ask something about my CPU, the R3 2200G I had usually runs about 45 to 50 °C at idle on stock cooler with room temperature around 30°C.

Is it normal? Or is not normal?

If it's not normal, which should I be replacing? The thermal paste or the CPU cooler?

Ps; I use my PC for about 1,5 year, usually browsing and occasionally extensive gaming

Normal, the wraith stealth isnt that bad but not something to brag about.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

21 hours ago, Lotrbee said:

Hi there,

I wanted to ask something about my CPU, the R3 2200G I had usually runs about 45 to 50 °C at idle on stock cooler with room temperature around 30°C.

If it's not normal, which should I be replacing? The thermal paste or the CPU cooler?

Ps; I use my PC for about 1,5 year, usually browsing and occasionally extensive gaming

its normal. take in to consideration that the CPU and the iGPU is sharing the same IHS so it will run hotter than a CPU without iGPU

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Phew..glad to hear that it's normal. Thanks very much for the information guys ?

15 hours ago, Lotrbee said:

Phew..glad to hear that it's normal. Thanks very much for the information guys ?

though you might want to get even a gammaxx 400 or a hyper 212. it helps so that your pc wont throttle down.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

34 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

though you might want to get even a gammaxx 400 or a hyper 212. it helps so that your pc wont throttle down.

Yes, I thought of buying a CPU cooler later on. At least attempt to cool down the temperature to make the CPU last longer

Yes, I thought of buying a CPU cooler later on. At least attempt to cool down the temperature to make the CPU last longer

where are you from and how much are you willing to spend on a cooler?

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

3 hours ago, Martin2132 said:

where are you from and how much are you willing to spend on a cooler?

From Indonesia. Was thinking on buying DeepCool Ice Edge mini FS v2.0, it's around 9 usd. While the Gammaxx 400 is around 20 usd in my country.

Which is worth it to buy?

From Indonesia. Was thinking on buying DeepCool Ice Edge mini FS v2.0, it's around 9 usd. While the Gammaxx 400 is around 20 usd in my country.

Which is worth it to buy?

that ice edge mini is just a little bit better than the stock cooler. gammaxx 400 is much better than that. also, it cost the same for me (Philippines) so i know the struggle of hot country plus PC lol

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

1 minute ago, Martin2132 said:

that ice edge mini is just a little bit better than the stock cooler. gammaxx 400 is much better than that. also, it cost the same for me (Philippines) so i know the struggle of hot country plus PC lol

Haha, you got that right..

Mostly seen reviews at youtube,they got around 23°c room temperature,must be from not a hot country or an AC room, so it's hard to compare on that.

Guess I'll be buying the edge mini in the near future coz I'm kinda strict in budget ?

Haha, you got that right..

Mostly seen reviews at youtube,they got around 23°c room temperature,must be from not a hot country or an AC room, so it's hard to compare on that.

Guess I'll be buying the edge mini in the near future coz I'm kinda strict in budget ?

just try to save up for gammaxx 400 

or check these for reviews as im not really fond of using these

Cooler Master Hyper T20

Deepcool Gammaxx 200T 

Deepcool Gammaxx 300 

Coolermaster Masterair G100M ✔ (this looks awfully similar to the stock cooler but with better thermals)

ID Cooling IS-40X 

Thermaltake D400P RGB

Thermaltake Pineapple RGB

Thermaltake S100

Thermaltake S200

Thermaltake S300

just check them out first for reviews and see if they are good. the ones with check are the ones i prefer if you cant afford the gammaxx 400

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

How high it goes under load? That's the number you should be looking at.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

37 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

just try to save up for gammaxx 400 

or check these for reviews as im not really fond of using these

Cooler Master Hyper T20

Deepcool Gammaxx 200T 

Deepcool Gammaxx 300 

Coolermaster Masterair G100M ✔ (this looks awfully similar to the stock cooler but with better thermals)

ID Cooling IS-40X 

Thermaltake D400P RGB

Thermaltake Pineapple RGB

Thermaltake S100

Thermaltake S200

Thermaltake S300

just check them out first for reviews and see if they are good. the ones with check are the ones i prefer if you cant afford the gammaxx 400

Alright,will check them out. Thanks a bunch ?

15 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

How high it goes under load? That's the number you should be looking at.

That's what I wasn't aware of coz i seldom check it. What software must I use to see it's peak temperature under load?

Is it cinebench?

46 minutes ago, Lotrbee said:

That's what I wasn't aware of coz i seldom check it. What software must I use to see it's peak temperature under load?

Is it cinebench?

OCCT would be my pick. But Cinebench or Asus Realbench works too. Cinebench isn't actually stressing. Or just have monitoring running when you are doing some of the heavier tasks. Like gaming, video editing, 3D modeling or whatever you use it for.

If you are over 80C and closer to 90C,then it really is time to look for upgrade, even cheap one. You could do it with change of thermal paste, but considering that tube of paste can be $6-10 (equivalent to your currently ofc), getting cooler for $30 is really option to think about.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

OCCT would be my pick. But Cinebench or Asus Realbench works too. Cinebench isn't actually stressing. Or just have monitoring running when you are doing some of the heavier tasks. Like gaming, video editing, 3D modeling or whatever you use it for.

If you are over 80C and closer to 90C,then it really is time to look for upgrade, even cheap one. You could do it with change of thermal paste, but considering that tube of paste can be $6-10 (equivalent to your currently ofc), getting cooler for $30 is really option to think about.

Alright I'll consider it, and will be doing heavy CPU task when i get my hands on my PC. I'll update for further info later on :)

Update info:

I've been using the PC earlier for gaming about several hours and the temperature is around 50 to 60 °c. When I test the OCCT software then have a stress test, the CPU temperature gradually increase to above 80° for 5 minutes. I quickly cancel the test, afraid something bad could happen..hoho

I definitely will upgrade my CPU cooler but one question though, should I also upgrade my PSU? Coz it's 450watt 80plus bronze Gamemax brand. I plan on saving to buy the Gammaxx 400 later on.

I had Zotac GTX 1070ti installed, 2x8GB DDR4 2666, 1 SSD and 1 HDD. And around 7 case fans :)

I saw a review that Gammaxx 400 has around 130w TDP, afraid my PSU couldn't make it..

On 11/25/2019 at 12:57 PM, Lotrbee said:

Hi there,

Sounds about right, especially since it has an integrated gpu. I'd be more concerned if you're in the 80's under normal load. I really don't like the stress tests and don't believe them to be overly realistic...For the record, after building a PC for a family member, his 2200g quickly rose into the 80's while running a CPU torture test (using the stock Wraith cooling fan). I freaked out and stopped it, but quickly realized that even during moderate to high load gaming (on the igpu), temperatures never rose higher than ~60 C.

7 hours ago, steelo said:

Sounds about right, especially since it has an integrated gpu. I'd be more concerned if you're in the 80's under normal load. I really don't like the stress tests and don't believe them to be overly realistic...For the record, after building a PC for a family member, his 2200g quickly rose into the 80's while running a CPU torture test (using the stock Wraith cooling fan). I freaked out and stopped it, but quickly realized that even during moderate to high load gaming (on the igpu), temperatures never rose higher than ~60 C.

I see. Alright then noted, thanks :)

16 hours ago, Lotrbee said:

Update info:

I've been using the PC earlier for gaming about several hours and the temperature is around 50 to 60 °c. When I test the OCCT software then have a stress test, the CPU temperature gradually increase to above 80° for 5 minutes. I quickly cancel the test, afraid something bad could happen..hoho

Seems about what one would expect from stock cooling. So going for upgrade is not critical.

I definitely will upgrade my CPU cooler but one question though, should I also upgrade my PSU? Coz it's 450watt 80plus bronze Gamemax brand. I plan on saving to buy the Gammaxx 400 later on.

I had Zotac GTX 1070ti installed, 2x8GB DDR4 2666, 1 SSD and 1 HDD. And around 7 case fans :)

I saw a review that Gammaxx 400 has around 130w TDP, afraid my PSU couldn't make it..

While thats not the best PSU out there, you are misunderstanding TDP (expressed in watts) and power delivery (expressed in watts). Cooler only takes about 3w which is what fan will use. So about same with stock cooler, but since its bigger fan and heatsink, it will cool more. TDP means how much theoretical hotness cooler can move away from CPU. People sometimes use this number say if cooler is enough for certain CPUs, which are rated for theoretical heat production. The numbers aren't that relevant, and are becoming as big of air cooling myth as pressure and "hot air rises" are already.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Seems about what one would expect from stock cooling. So going for upgrade is not critical.

While thats not the best PSU out there, you are misunderstanding TDP (expressed in watts) and power delivery (expressed in watts). Cooler only takes about 3w which is what fan will use. So about same with stock cooler, but since its bigger fan and heatsink, it will cool more. TDP means how much theoretical hotness cooler can move away from CPU. People sometimes use this number say if cooler is enough for certain CPUs, which are rated for theoretical heat production. The numbers aren't that relevant, and are becoming as big of air cooling myth as pressure and "hot air rises" are already.

Yes, thought so too. Since it's not critical to upgrade, I'll be saving money till I can afford the Gammaxx 400.

Waw, just reading your explanation about TDP and stuff makes me mind blown..

I didn't know that before, really appreciate the info btw ?

On 11/25/2019 at 7:51 PM, Lotrbee said:

Your temps seem normal and the cpu will probably last longer than you need it to with the stock cooler. There are benefits to getting a better cooler like more thermal headroom and lower noise but cpu longevity isn't a practical one. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your temps seem normal and the cpu will probably last longer than you need it to with the stock cooler. There are benefits to getting a better cooler like more thermal headroom and lower noise but cpu longevity isn't a practical one. 

Okay,noted that. Thank you kindly :)