Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pringlulz

The Great Microsoft Access Fuckup of 2019

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, my organization, among others, applied the Microsoft November security patches last week. It was just a KB that auto-installs outside of the usual Windows Update stuff and just comes with an update to MS Office.

I come in the office in the morning, and find out that nothing that I work on is working. Everything has problems, and they all come up with the same message: "Error 3340: Query '' is corrupt."

Turns out, the MS security patch meant to address a security vulnerability with the WHERE clause of an UPDATE statement in Microsoft Access's SQL driver (it treated the clause like text at some point in the process, meaning you theoretically could do SQL injection) just bricked UPDATE statements for anything. That means that any time you want to edit existing information in Microsoft Access or Office 365, you get the error. It just doesn't work.

The juiciest bit is that my organization can automatically deploy updates, but can't automatically roll them back. So we're stuck implementing the workarounds for this or manually going to every computer and reinstalling Office until December 10th. Fucking thanks, Microsoft. God, no wonder everyone recommends against it.

photo-85015.gif

~New~  ThinkPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004 

-Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites-

Please read posting guidelines for tech news before posting there.

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a