[MSI Prestige 15] I can click with my palms and its super annoying....

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
On 12/7/2019 at 6:07 PM, daviward said:

I'm having the same issue with my Prestige 15--any chance you could share your hardware hacks? I love this computer otherwise!

Hi! So Sorry for the neglected response. In short I did two things: the first did not solve the issue, but may (or may not) have been required for the 2nd step, which actually did solve the issue.

I established that the root cause of the issue is a flex of the upper part of the chassis with respect to the bottom rubber feet, as the problem was much easier to reproduce when the laptop was on a flat surface (i.e. a table) as opposed to when the base was off the surface.

The first thing I did (note: this alone did not fix the problem) was to try to pad out the upper part of the chassis against the battery. I opened the laptop, and removed the battery, and in the sides of the trackpad, added 1.0 or 1.5 mm (sorry can't remember) thermal pads. I marked the vague area that I put the thermal pads on, please note that it would be under the battery as pictured below.

csm_MG_7028_aa08917586.thumb.jpg.2503f384dcb15126b9c064e6c6b6e867.jpg

The above did nothing towards the misclick, but then I realised the flex of the upper chassis was actually caused by the battery not laying flat with respect to the top. In the picture above you can see a bit of plastic from the battery resting on top of a metal piece. This actually causes the battery to be slightly raised in the middle, giving rise to flex either side of it. This curious plastic circle I believe was used for a screw in a previous model?

Anyway, the step which fixed it for me (and may or may not require the thermal pads above) was to cut into the plastic so that the metal does not intefere with the battery resting. Obviously this is a destructive mod and so do at your own risk, but this has completly solved my issues with misclicking due to the weight of my arms on the side of the laptop.

snip.png.3085e88112b9267be69bc0119ea3f422.png

Hope this helps

So upon recommendation here, I've purchased myself a MSI prestige 15. I am generally happy with the build and the screen and what performance I've looked at so far.

However there is a super annoying feature of this laptop that I was wondering if anybody can help me out.

There seems to be some kind of inbuilt palm-detection/rejection inbuilt into the laptop where if I put my palms/arms on the side of the touchpad it sometimes detects it as a click. This completely breaks the experience since If I move the mouse in this condition, its in "highlighting" mode and if I were to mouse over a tab in chrome for example, it starts dragging it.

As far as I can see in Windows 10 there wasn't anything palm rejection orientated in the settings. I've written to MSI support but thought I'd ask here too. More information can be provided if necessary.

I actually managed to fix the issue with a few hardware hacks. Very happy with the laptop now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with my Prestige 15--any chance you could share your hardware hacks? I love this computer otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 6:07 PM, daviward said:

Hi! So Sorry for the neglected response. In short I did two things: the first did not solve the issue, but may (or may not) have been required for the 2nd step, which actually did solve the issue.

I established that the root cause of the issue is a flex of the upper part of the chassis with respect to the bottom rubber feet, as the problem was much easier to reproduce when the laptop was on a flat surface (i.e. a table) as opposed to when the base was off the surface.

The first thing I did (note: this alone did not fix the problem) was to try to pad out the upper part of the chassis against the battery. I opened the laptop, and removed the battery, and in the sides of the trackpad, added 1.0 or 1.5 mm (sorry can't remember) thermal pads. I marked the vague area that I put the thermal pads on, please note that it would be under the battery as pictured below.

csm_MG_7028_aa08917586.thumb.jpg.2503f384dcb15126b9c064e6c6b6e867.jpg

The above did nothing towards the misclick, but then I realised the flex of the upper chassis was actually caused by the battery not laying flat with respect to the top. In the picture above you can see a bit of plastic from the battery resting on top of a metal piece. This actually causes the battery to be slightly raised in the middle, giving rise to flex either side of it. This curious plastic circle I believe was used for a screw in a previous model?

Anyway, the step which fixed it for me (and may or may not require the thermal pads above) was to cut into the plastic so that the metal does not intefere with the battery resting. Obviously this is a destructive mod and so do at your own risk, but this has completly solved my issues with misclicking due to the weight of my arms on the side of the laptop.

snip.png.3085e88112b9267be69bc0119ea3f422.png

Hope this helps

On 11/15/2019 at 2:29 PM, For Science! said:

So upon recommendation here, I've purchased myself a MSI prestige 15. I am generally happy with the build and the screen and what performance I've looked at so far.

However there is a super annoying feature of this laptop that I was wondering if anybody can help me out.

There seems to be some kind of inbuilt palm-detection/rejection inbuilt into the laptop where if I put my palms/arms on the side of the touchpad it sometimes detects it as a click. This completely breaks the experience since If I move the mouse in this condition, its in "highlighting" mode and if I were to mouse over a tab in chrome for example, it starts dragging it.

As far as I can see in Windows 10 there wasn't anything palm rejection orientated in the settings. I've written to MSI support but thought I'd ask here too. More information can be provided if necessary.

If you don't want to use the touchpad anymore, you can disable it in the BIOS. This would be if you only want to use a mouse

38 minutes ago, PeytonPlayzSM said:

If you don't want to use the touchpad anymore, you can disable it in the BIOS. This would be if you only want to use a mouse

As above, this issue is resolved, and I do want to use the touch pad as I do not carry a mouse on the go.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response! I'll have to give it a go and let you know what I find. Thanks again!