How to change PCIE from 4.0 to 3.0 in ASUS TUF X570 plus (WIFI)

Michalangello

As the title says- I have a “freaking” lot of issues with games on my new rig (Ryzen 3800x & ASUS Radeon 5700XT).

some of the advice I managed to find online mentioned you switch from PCIe 4.0/AUTO to PCIe 3.0 in the bios.

The problem is- I cannot find this option in my mobo bios- been EVERYWHERE in it and just can’t find it.
Could anyone with enough knowledge direct me step by step how to change it please?

Any good soul to help out there?

2 minutes ago, Michalangello said:

As the title says- I have a “freaking” lot of issues with games on my new rig (Ryzen 3800x & ASUS Radeon 5700XT).

some of the advice I managed to find online mentioned you switch from PCIe 4.0/AUTO to PCIe 3.0 in the bios.

The problem is- I cannot find this option in my mobo bios- been EVERYWHERE in it and just can’t find it.
Could anyone with enough knowledge direct me step by step how to change it please?

I’d you have a 4th gen pcie card, why switch it off? 

what sort of issues do you have? Can’t imagine a gen 4 device working better on 3rd gen. Also not sure if that’s possible anyways (what I think)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

That's a strange advice considering that Navi cards are the only consumer cards that are native for PCIe 4.

What's your issue? 

10 minutes ago, Michalangello said:

I don't think you want to do what you think you want to do. (This would likely do nothing since it's the GPU that would decide if it can operate at PCIe 4.0 speed. The number of lanes is decided by the CPU/Chipset having no other cards installed in neighboring slots, and no M2 NVme devices installed in neighboring slots.)

image.png.b67a6b928a189b64f0bda924e017b508.png

According to the manual it's on this page, you may need to scroll down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I would like to know the same exact thing, since I am interested on using riser cable for vertical mount, and afaik there is no support for x570 to work with PCIe 4.0 , and the only way for riser cable to work, is to maually change back to PCIe 3.0. Same as OP I can't find this option inside the bios.

Could anyone possibly help me find it, or maybe there isn't an option to begin with?

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Older topic, but since I was looking for this as of yesterday... 

My custom loop 1080ti was unstable on its riser cable.   After a bunch of digging, riser cables still can't be used on PCIe 4.0 slots since the trace length/impedance is limited/throws off timing on pcie4.0  This will cause Random Hardware Failures/ Crashes.   Asus recently added the ability the the TUF x570 wifi (last few bios updates) to chance the slot to PCIe3.0 on a slot to slot basis.  This keeps it from affecting my m2 drives.  *thumbs up*

It is found under Advanced and Onboard device configuration.   My bios was only a month or two old, and this option was not there, it wasn't until I snagged the most recent bios that the option showed up.  Testing/benchmarks so far looks promising.  

IMG_20200522_131257.jpg