Would you like a daisy chain RGB standard?

SuperCookie78

Are watching the build video where there is a lot of rgb the rats nest of cable look terrible even when their managed. But then i though of daisy chain rgb. instead of have 3 fans have 3 cable all going to a controller you could have really short cable going from fan to fan and 1 cable to the controller. in my head the system would made so every device could still be addressed separately. the only problem i could thing of is that their would need to be some logic in the devices but i am sure that could be made inexpensive. If a system like that existed would you prefer it to the current system of everything to a controller.  

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

It would certainly be nice.  Corsair did the daisy chain route with their Hydro X components, so it does make you wonder why they can't do that to their fans.  It would certainly make cable management much easier.

15 minutes ago, JB25304 said:

It would certainly be nice.  Corsair did the daisy chain route with their Hydro X components, so it does make you wonder why they can't do that to their fans.  It would certainly make cable management much easier.

daisy chain the leds? and if so is each component addressable? if not then its just like having two led strips linked together

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

4 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

daisy chain the leds? and if so is each component addressable? if not then its just like having two led strips linked together

Here are the views in iCue.  I don't think they are individually addressable in this configuration (but I haven't really played with it to be honest.)  I don't see why they couldn't do it though using the Commander Pro.   

Spoiler

2019-10-13.thumb.png.486aa4f411aad4be8810f94d2051fd7f.png1707067668_2019-10-13(1).thumb.png.76f2de16f9300e49971f7134575a3c9f.png

1 minute ago, JB25304 said:

Here are the views in iCue.  I don't think they are individually addressable in this configuration (but I haven't really played with it to be honest.)  I don't see why they couldn't do it though using the Commander Pro.   

Hide contents

2019-10-13.thumb.png.486aa4f411aad4be8810f94d2051fd7f.png1707067668_2019-10-13(1).thumb.png.76f2de16f9300e49971f7134575a3c9f.png

yea it just looks like linking two strips together. i was think somewhere along the lines of firewire ports  but smaller. you don't need a lot of through port because each device would basically have its own controller. it would work very similarly to commodore's early disk drives. They basically had a full blown computer in them and your desktop would just send commands. 

Or you could repurpose the usb standard to achieve this. since 1 usb port can handle 127 ports from a hub you basically have each component be a rgb logic chip and a hub. this way their wouldn't be a bunch of R&D on creating a new standard and old motherboard with usb 2.0 headers could get RGB without having to buy a controller. man i wish i had the money to make this a thing

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

Just now, SuperCookie78 said:

yea it just looks like linking two strips together. i was think somewhere along the lines of firewire ports  but smaller. you don't need a lot of through port because each device would basically have its own controller. it would work very similarly to commodore's early disk drives. They basically had a full blown computer in them and your desktop would just send commands. 

Or you could repurpose the usb standard to achieve this. since 1 usb port can handle 127 ports from a hub you basically have each component be a rgb logic chip and a hub. this way their wouldn't be a bunch of R&D on creating a new standard and old motherboard with usb 2.0 headers could get RGB without having to buy a controller. man i wish i had the money to make this a thing

You would also have to get all of the fan manufacturers, as well as anything else that they stick lights on (for example, case lights and light strips.)  Some play ball together, but then there are others who want to discourage mixing and matching so that you will stick to their brands.  I went the Corsair route because I already had several Corsair components, and I really wanted to keep the different controllers to a minimum for that very reason.

I would personally love that there be a standard, but given that we can't even get a standard lighting control software to control everything, my hopes are not very high.  However, you do have an idea.  If one could convince enough companies to cooperate , that could be all that it takes to set things in motion.

from the way i understand it is the hub has a data in and out so its like having 2 strips attached to each other. that is why you need to fill the hub form 1 to 6. if you got 4 fans it has to be 1-4 as the data in gos to the  1 fan and out of  1 fan in to the data in of fan 2 and out of fan 2 and so on. the commander pro and node only haves a data out.

if you linked say all the data in together and all the data out together then all of the leds will be a copy of each other instead of run form fan 1 then to fan 2 and so on.

corair lian li bykski barrow argb pin out 3.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

28 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

from the way i understand it is the hub has a data in and out so its like having 2 strips attached to each other. that is why you need to fill the hub form 1 to 6. if you got 4 fans it has to be 1-4 as the data in gos to the  1 fan and out of  1 fan in to the data in of fan 2 and out of fan 2 and so on. the commander pro and node only haves a data out.

if you linked say all the data in together and all the data out together then all of the leds will be a copy of each other instead of run form fan 1 then to fan 2 and so on.

I think OP was talking from a more global perspective and not just Corsair stuff.  Personally, having individually addressable lighting isn't that big of a deal to me because I would rather keep them all coordinated.  I would like the ability to daisy chain everything though to cut down on the amount of cable clutter to have to manage in the end.  I have several rgb fan hubs (got rads with push/pull configuration and got a good deal on the Corsair fans I have.)  I have tried to do some semblance of cable management, but it is hard when you are talking about so many fans. 

1 minute ago, JB25304 said:

I think he was talking from a more global perspective and not just Corsair stuff.  Personally, having individually addressable lighting isn't that big of a deal to me because I would rather keep them all coordinated.  I would like the ability to daisy chain everything though to cut down on the amount of cable clutter to have to manage in the end.  I have several rgb fan hubs (got rads with push/pull configuration and got a good deal on the Corsair fans I have.)  I have tried to do some semblance of cable management, but it is hard when you are talking about so many fans. 

ya i got what your saying... im in the same boat. but i do got a place to hide all the controllers and most of the cables and i came up with ways to hide some of the cables by sending then under the case and up the front behind the front panel. i also came up with and idea of sending wires behind a pace of plastic that covers all the grommets. other then that getting creative and making hubs and your own daisy chain, adding 2 fans per connector, and so on haha

pc update 009.jpg

rgb fans 003.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

I'm glad that I am not the only one @thrasher_565!  

I have a 1000D for the build that I did recently with all the Corsair stuff.  I was able to hide a lot of the cables by routing behind the radiators toward the back of the case and run them to the back.  Plus, the fact that the case is black helps hide a lot.  Other than that, I have seriously tried to come up with a nice system in the back to handle all of the hubs and stuff.  I'm still not totally happy with it, but it is a ton better than where I started.

10 minutes ago, JB25304 said:

I'm glad that I am not the only one @thrasher_565!  

I have a 1000D for the build that I did recently with all the Corsair stuff.  I was able to hide a lot of the cables by routing behind the radiators toward the back of the case and run them to the back.  Plus, the fact that the case is black helps hide a lot.  Other than that, I have seriously tried to come up with a nice system in the back to handle all of the hubs and stuff.  I'm still not totally happy with it, but it is a ton better than where I started.

ya you have a build log? my in my sig. ya there was a guy on here posted some cable management thermal take and his tower 900 and he labeled everything. still the cables what just a glob haha. there are people out there that can rout all the cables and hubs and cut all the wires to be exact but im not one of thows people haha its an art in it self. i did do cable sleeving to a psu once and didn't like it. and i dint no you had to melt the ends of it that how have made it much more do able at the time....

would be nice to have a stander but there are few times were there are standers in this world...

Edited by thrasher_565

@thrasher_565

I don’t have a build log. I probably should have made one because I’m still tinkering with things haha. I do remember looking at your’s before I built mine (was looking at different dual builds in different cases) and was super impressed! You can tell that you’ve put a TON of work into it. I’m definitely with you on cutting cables. The only thing that would get me is heartburn and ruined fans haha. 

The main reason why I wanted a dual build is that I was planning to build a hackintosh to replace my iMac that died. I think Apple purposely makes iTunes run stupidly in Windows and there I have become accustomed to Macs over the years. Before, I just ran virtual Windows when I needed it but it was definitely showing its age (was starting to have trouble even getting to min specs in more recent games.) I was contemplating on buying a PC but was waiting until my GPU burned out. When I found out the cost of just a replacement for a 7 year old GPU (everywhere I looked they were $200-300 and I wasn’t about to do that when that much money would buy me a current one that would run circles around it,) I decided to skip spending a fortune on another Mac just to still be behind a PC for the same price. Unfortunately, I went a bit overboard on the PC parts, so I’m saving up again for the rest of the parts. I at least have had and still am having fun tinkering with the my PC build haha

4 minutes ago, JB25304 said:

@thrasher_565

I don’t have a build log. I probably should have made one because I’m still tinkering with things haha. I do remember looking at your’s before I built mine (was looking at different dual builds in different cases) and was super impressed! You can tell that you’ve put a TON of work into it. I’m definitely with you on cutting cables. The only thing that would get me is heartburn and ruined fans haha. 

The main reason why I wanted a dual build is that I was planning to build a hackintosh to replace my iMac that died. I think Apple purposely makes iTunes run stupidly in Windows and there I have become accustomed to Macs over the years. Before, I just ran virtual Windows when I needed it but it was definitely showing its age (was starting to have trouble even getting to min specs in more recent games.) I was contemplating on buying a PC but was waiting until my GPU burned out. When I found out the cost of just a replacement for a 7 year old GPU (everywhere I looked they were $200-300 and I wasn’t about to do that when that much money would buy me a current one that would run circles around it,) I decided to skip spending a fortune on another Mac just to still be behind a PC for the same price. Unfortunately, I went a bit overboard on the PC parts, so I’m saving up again for the rest of the parts. I at least have had and still am having fun tinkering with the my PC build haha

ya im on year 3 with mine and spend just about all my saving on it.... i dont even no how much i spent but its probably $15000 to $20000 if i have to guess.....i should stop!

ya im stuck with windows 7 and will be forced to use 10 to paly games so thats why i build my 2 pcs in short. but im really considering linix.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya im on year 3 with mine and spend just about all my saving on it.... i dont even no how much i spent but its probably $15000 to $20000 if i have to guess.....i should stop!

ya im stuck with windows 7 and will be forced to use 10 to paly games so thats why i build my 2 pcs in short. but im really considering linix.

I feel your pain! Once you think, “After this, it will be perfect, and I can stop,” you quickly find other things to do to it haha

I have thought about trying Linux in the past, but I’ve never done it. Pop!_OS looks interesting, and I’ve thought about virtualizing it. I would do a straight boot but I’m not sure how my Corsair pump would like it since the pump is run by the Commander Pro and not the MoBo. I know that there is some default settings put in there, but I’m not sure what kind of pump curves are set, etc. Which oddly leads us back to the fact of, “Wouldn’t it be nice if all of these guys got on the same page with the control software.” Haha

kinda stilling this posting ahah sory.  i do no that aquacomputer has a adapter that can attach corsair fans and nzxz fans so nzxt must use the data in and out as well. and nzxt uses the daisy chaing. so if you were gonna trying probably corsair would be a good start. i be leave thermaltake may use this too but hard to find info on the pinout on that fans....

7 minutes ago, JB25304 said:

I feel your pain! Once you think, “After this, it will be perfect, and I can stop,” you quickly find other things to do to it haha

I have thought about trying Linux in the past, but I’ve never done it. Pop!_OS looks interesting, and I’ve thought about virtualizing it. I would do a straight boot but I’m not sure how my Corsair pump would like it since the pump is run by the Commander Pro and not the MoBo. I know that there is some default settings put in there, but I’m not sure what kind of pump curves are set, etc. Which oddly leads us back to the fact of, “Wouldn’t it be nice if all of these guys got on the same page with the control software.” Haha

ya makes me think i should have just gone with an external argb controller (witch i did buy one) but dint come with the power cable and never looked in to it haha. says it has 133 modes and i found one that has 1000! but cost $250.....

ya the plan was to only use corasir fans and maybe an strip..... then i wanted rgb 24 pin....then i wanted rgb flow meter... then i wanted to rgb stip my pump tops and gpu block....and then i wanted an rgb cpu block....is there an end in site? i was thinking of a disabution block but then i was like na.....but i might try and get a z170 mark 1 mb and i realy want a rgb gill for the north bridge 40mm fan.....dont no if the guy can make one. if not ill have to go 40mm to 92 or 120mm fan adapter.

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

kinda stilling this posting ahah sory.  i do no that aquacomputer has a adapter that can attach corsair fans and nzxz fans so nzxt must use the data in and out as well. and nzxt uses the daisy chaing. so if you were gonna trying probably corsair would be a good start. i be leave thermaltake may use this too but hard to find info on the pinout on that fans....

Haha, we kinda did steal it for a bit, but we brought it back. I will definitely have to check into that some more then. It would be nice to consolidate some of the clutter for sure and that sounds like a solid lead there. Thanks for that tip!

I’m definitely going to be keeping an eye out on your build log updates!

Edited by JB25304
Added to response